“Nice meal” 4 of 5 stars

St-Lazare
“Nice meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

We had steaks and ribs.
Everything was good as was the service.
Located next door to the Bass Pro Shop.
Right off highway 64.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

80% Recommend
Hampton, Virginia
“"no bull"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

My wife just returned home from a wonderful dining experience at the Longhorn Steakhouse. The friendly welcome upon our arrival and from our server, made us feel right at home. My meal started with French Onion Soup, that isn"t always the best at other restaurants The soup was delicious and plentiful in a bowl. My wife had a ribeye and I enjoyed a prime rib, both were very tender and cooked to perfection. The loaf of honey wheat bread was a that was brought out hot before our meal, was so good. The menu items are a little pricey, but tolerable. The quality of the food makes up the the higher price. The LongHorn Restaurant is a nice way to spend a little time with someone special and that's "no bull".

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Smithfield, VA
“Lacks a head in the game”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

An average rating is generous considering what we went thru. After a grueling day boating, the wine queen and I headed to the new Longhorn in Hampton after getting cleaned up. I had heard good things about it from an acquaintance. Let me say this. The bread was very good. The salad was very crisp. The staff greeters and seaters were very accomodating and friendly. Everybody had a smile. Nobody had a clue!

After ordering a bottle of wine, our waitress brought us a nice little loaf of great, steaming hot wheat bread ... and a little bit of butter to go along with it.

Shortly thereafter, the waitress and the bartender brought us a bottle of wine, but it was not the wine we ordered. They just neglected to mention that. I noticed the difference ... the queen had ordered it, and we offered to drink it if they would let us have it at the same price as the other bottle we did order. We thought the difference was $3.00. They declined and said they'd bring what we ordered. I thought that odd. Then our waitress came back and said that they were out of the one we ordered, so, to speed things along, we acquiesed and accepted the more expensive bottle ... which turned out to be $11.00 more! If that was my restaurant, I'd have said, "I'm sorry we don't have what you ordered, but if you wish, you can have this bottle for the same price" Lesson learned ... by me. Sit up and pay attention.

The queen ordered a special sirloin with a topping and wrapped in bacon ... along with steamed asparagus ... an extra $1,79 because it was a signature side. She said it was very good. I ordered the 12 ounce ribeye with steamed asparagus also. When they brought our meals, salads only 1/3 eaten, she immediately noticed that her asparagus looked just like french fries. They took both meals back and shortly returned with them, and this time both plates had asparagus. The server left ... left me looking down at what very definitely was not a ribeye. Just then our waitress arrived to check on us, and for the record, I asked her what my steak looked like to her. She said that it looked like a flat iron steak or a strip steak. I'm convinced it was a flat iron steak. It was very tough according to the fork test.

So she took it back and within a minute or so came back with a real ribeye. Not the most tender in the world, but it was a ribeye ... and it was tasty. She said that the first steak was an end cut of ribeye. If so, and if it was my restaurant, I'd have turned it into chili or something. I would not expect some customer to pay $20.00 for it. I still think it was a flat iron steak. So I guess some other sucker got it next.

While we ate, a couple with 4 little kidz were seated at a nearby table. A server brought a shrimp cocktail to their table only to be told that they did not order a shrimp cocktail. A few minutes later, another server arrived ... with, you guessed it, a shrimp cocktail ... only to be told a second time ... we did not order a shrimp cocktail. Eventually they were brought their salads ... and almost immediately thereafter, the waitress arrived with two adult meals, apologizing for their not even having had a chance to start their salads. I think it was the wrong food at the wrong table ... as another waitress arrived within about 3 seconds ... no kidding ... and took the two plates from the first waitress and took them to another table. It was bizarre!

You only get one chance to make a good first impression ... and they failed.

Like I said, the bread was very good. The salad was very good. Dine there with the expectation that you will have to manage your meal from start to finish!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Hampton, Virginia
“Good Steakhouse in Hampton”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

This is a new property opened on Mercury Blvd in the Power Plant section of Hampton. Both the menu and interior of the restaurant are a little more upscale than the surrounding area. (Longhorn is located between Cracker Barrel and Chic-Fil-A.) We visited for Sunday lunch. The menu was more extensive than expected with good choices of beef, poultry, pork and fish. Most entrees were $20 or above and included a salad and a side (or two sides). We were seated quickly without having reservations. The wait staff was attentive. Salads were crisp. Steaks were cooked just right. We will go back.

• Visited May 2013