“Long as u get a nonsmoking room u r good” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #14 of 26 Hotels in Hampton
“Long as u get a nonsmoking room u r good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel over 36 times and I can say for location non smoking rooms are top quality only other hotels in area with better rooms are Marriott and embassy ....maybe quality inn but I can say its another story when it comes to smoking rooms they are not as well kept. If booking ahead go with nonsmoking to prevent disappointment or if u r a smoker may want to ask to look at room first ! Other than that I love staying here when I have to be in hampton and they send u coupons regularly for $15 off or 20% off so I usually only pay $48 after tax and I'm not AAA or military

• Stayed December 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Bryson City, North Carolina, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

So to start out with the hotel staff was rude from the moment we walked in. When we went to pay they told us our price was over $80 more than it was supposed to be, we tried to tell them this, but the lady kept telling us "Oh.. well its this new price." she wouldn't listen to us and told us we had to get the email with the actual price and to do so we had to go ahead and pay so they would give us the wifi code so we could get it.

After paying way more than we were supposed to we went up to our room and tried to pull up the email on my laptop and they had given us the wrong code. I went back downstairs and a different lady was there and told us that they had changed the password and would call us with the new one when she had a chance because she had a customer. Reasonable so I went back up the room to wait. We waited over four hours without a call so we went back down and got the correct password with no hassle, pulled up the email, and showed them only to find out that the manager had left in the time period of the four hours we were waiting for them to call us and we would have to come back tomorrow.

The next day we took the email down and talked to the manager and she said they could correct it because the price from their official website was lower than the price they were getting, but they wouldn't be able to refund it until we checked out and onto the card despite paying for half of it in cash.

The whole thing was ridiculous and made everyone go over budget, nearly ruining the trip as we were scrapping together money just to eat the next day.

Now you want to know about the room? The door frames had rust all over them, the plumbing in the toilet was horrible so it was really load and actually jumped whenever you flushed it, the "fully stocked" kitchen had two of the basics (plates, forks, cups, ect) and since there were four of us we had to go out and buy paper plates and plastic forks, the table had one chair and they even admitted that it was supposed to have two but there wasn't anything they were going to do about it, and you couldn't sit on the edge of the bed without it flipping over, not to mention they were hard as a rock. Overall this hotel was horrible and we will not be back.

Go somewhere else, there is a Red Roof, Comfort Inn, Days Inn, and several other better hotels right down the road that are nicer and cheaper than what they tried to charge us. Save yourself the headache.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Hampton - Coliseum, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Ashley - I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. Please accept my sincere apologies for the billing issues you experienced at check-in and throughout your stay. I can assure you that I have reviewed our policies with the entire team so that they are better able to handle situations like yours in the future. As well, I am sorry that your room did not meet your expectations. In response, I am working with the staff to improve our offerings for guests to enjoy moving forward.

Once again I would like to thank you for sharing your experience with us. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at col@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.
Alexandria, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

The hotel did not appear to be full judging by the parking lot. We were given a room that looked like it was halfway through a renovation done by first graders. The vent fan over the oven was totally rusted. The sink dripped so badly we turned off the water under the sink. The toilet began to run in the middle of the night after use - so we fiddle with plumbing in the middle of the night. When the issue was brought to the front desk staff - received nothing but a blank stare. Asked for manager to call us never heard a word. Had only booked a 1 night stay thankfully but our credit card was charged 3 times! Again called hotel asking to speak to manager was promised a call back. Still waiting... is 3 weeks too long to wait for a call back.....?

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Newport News, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I'm local to the area but wanted to stay somewhere close to all of the restaurants that were showing the Mayweather fight so that we would be within walking distance just in case the drinking got out of hand. I booked the room late evening and went to check in immediately. Front desk attendant (Toni was her name I believe) was great and made check in quick and easy. We had a non-smoking room (entire floor seemed to be a non smoking floor according to the signs outside of the doors) but the entire hallway smelled like smoke...no biggy though, once we got inside of our room the smell disappeared. Room was clean, had a little kitchen with a full fridge, a two isle stove, a sink, microwave, toaster, and coffee maker. There were dishes as well but I don't recall seeing pots and pans, I didn't have a need to use them so I may have overlooked them. Room was spacious and clean, had a queen bed, and a flat screen tv. Bathroom door swung outward which was a little awkward but bathroom was decent. There were still some hairs on the sink area where a previous guest may have shaved but other than that it seemed pretty clean. The bed was pretty comfortable with plenty of pillows. Didnt get a chance to experience the grab and go breakfast but check out was quick and easy. No real complaints and definitely got this room for a great price.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Carrollton, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Disclaimer: This will likely be a lengthy review. It will be long because (1) I think potential customers want to know the whole story before they spend their money, and (2) I see that management reads the reviews.

I recently had a lengthy stay at the Extended Stay American in Hampton. I selected this hotel because the few rooms that I previewed before my stay we sizeable and met all the basics that we needed, and the price was where it needed to be. Overall I would probably stay again, but only if I couldn't find another property in the same pricepoint.

Room: We stayed in a handicap room that was good-sized. Two full size beds, good space, and a minimally equipped kitchen (full size fridge). A/C worked but couldn't accomodate the size room but was replaced upon notification to staff. A/C worked well once it was replaced.

Cleanliness: This is one of my biggest complaints. The floor in our room was filthy. I can comfortably say that the carpets are rarely, if ever, shampooed. I could feel the carpet was sticky when we walked bare-footed so I rented my own Rug Doctor during my first week stay there. After almost two hours of carpet cleaning every change of rinse water still looked like hot chocolate - simply filthy. Eventually I gave up and lived with the end product. Along the walls where I couldn't get with the carpet cleaner were still black, but at least we could assume with some confidence some level of cleanliness. We rarely utilized the weekly housekeeping as it only entailed towel exchanges and begging change, so we did this outselves. The hallway carpets rarely were maintained as the same wrappers would lay on the floor for days. The outside grounds were hit-or-miss. There was a gentleman who maintained the outside but there was a span when he was gone on leave and trash piled up and grounds were not well kept. Overall the cleanliness of the hotel had much to be desired. As per earlier reviews of fleas, I would say that we didn't experience this once I shampooed my own carpets. Prior to that we did deal with some bug bites.

Customer service: This was "fair" in my book as well. The only person I can compliment was Robin. She went out of her way to work us the best available rate and also offered to show us multiple rooms reflecting the different sizes and floor plans. All others would answer questions when asked but never smiled and didn't go out of their way to assist. Too often, in the evenings, I would see the clerk take the cordless phone out to their car, that they parked in front of the hotel, and sit in the car doing "whatever" and only come inside when the cordless phone rang and they needed to check the computer for something.

Management: I believe at the end of our stay a new manager came to work at this hotel. My wife said there might be some promise that conditions would get better because of some notes and discussions taking place at the check-in desk, but things never got much better. It's too bad because with some effort by management this hotel could be a good selection for long-term stays.

Grab-and-Go: This was decent when on time. It is advertised as coffee and grab-n-go breakfast at 6:00 a.m. There were days that coffee wasn't ready till 6:10 or 6:15. Customers would often be waiting around for 10-15 minutes waiting on coffee. I know we should be thankful for what we get, but this is surely built into the price of the room and timeliness for customers leaving for work is important. Selection is basically packaged muffins, granola bars, apples, and packets of oatmeal. Overall the service is decent when stocked.

Overall stay: Weekdays are tolerable, weekends are not. When events are taking place in the area the hotel is busy with less-than-desireable clientle and with groups of basketball players and kids. Kids would run the halls all hours of the night and were generally rude. Calls to the front desk would quiet things down for 10-15 minutes but there would never be follow-up by hotel staff to ensure the halls remained at least somewhat quiet at night. Trash was overflowing in the trash room, corridor floors were dirty, hallways were a mess, and this never seemed to bother the staff at all.

Hope this review helps. And if the response from the managment is the typical "please give me a call to discuss these issues", please don't bother. By making me false promises does me no good since I'm not staying there anymore. Please just fix the things that you're able to fix, and give the customers what they deserve. People have a choice where they stay and it doesn't take long for word-of-mouth to spread and before you know it your parking lots are empty. Cleanliness and customer service are things you can control, so walk out from behind the counter and take a look at some of the services that you're paying your staff to maintain. You may be surprised what things look like. Just my two cents - hope you see I'm providing feedback because I care. If I was just trying to do damage I would never have taken the time.... Good luck - appreciate the customers you have and hopefully they will see some positive changes.

Room Tip: As to be placed in a hall that doesn't house large families that are squeezed into small rooms...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

After finding fleas in our room and requesting for my money back, I asked for the hotel manager to call me at 9 when she got to work. They ignored my request and I still haven't recieved my refund. The night staff was rude and didn't even appear to know she was working in a hotel. Also, the night staff was slow and nasty with every request. The maids must not have cleaned our room in 6 months there were that many fleas.

• Stayed June 2013
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Hampton - Coliseum, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I am so disappointed for the level of cleanliness in your room, and when reported, the staff did not attend to your needs properly or efficiently. Poor room cleanliness and a lack of customer service from the employees, is not something we take very lightly at this hotel. Please accept my apology. In response to your feedback, I am personally speaking with our housekeeping and front desk staff so that they know how to properly handle these types of situations in the future.

Thank you again for providing us with your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at col@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

We walked into our room and immediately were covered in biting and jumping fleas. We turned right around and will be getting a full refund. The woman at the desk was apologetic but was unable to refund the money immediately. We had to wait until 7AM to talk to a manager, even though it was a charge on a card. I've never had an experience like this at extended stay, bit I CERTAINLY will not be coming back to this one.

• Stayed June 2013
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Hampton - Coliseum, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. Please accept my most sincere apologies for the level of cleanliness in your room. The staff and I strive to provide comfortable accommodations for all of our guests to enjoy, which is why I am so disheartened to read your remarks. Still, I am glad the staff provided you with a full refund and I will be working them further to improve our cleanliness procedures moving forward.

I appreciate you bringing this to our attention. I hope that you will contact me directly, at col@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.

Been to Extended Stay America - Hampton - Coliseum? Share your experiences!