“Restaurant could/should have been beter” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Old Hotel. Brunch, dinners and seafood buffets
Hampton Roades, Virginia
“Restaurant could/should have been beter”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

It is difficult to write this review because of the history of the Chamberlin. The place is a historic hotel turned retirement living facility. The elegant dining room is open to non-residents most days, including for Sunday brunch. After visiting recently, our general thoughts were great atmosphere and view of Hampton Roads, fine service, but average food at best. For $29 per person, there needed to be a wow factor. There wasn't. The buffet had a seafood section, a breakfast section, an omlet station and a carving station. My wife is the seafood eater in the family and she pronounced the varied quality OK at best. She also noted that her portion of carved beef was full of fat and gristle. I enjoyed the omlet station. Very tasty. However, the grits and the potatoes I had were between lukewarm and cold. Both of us had a piece of teriyaki chicken at different times during our meal, and both of us found the meat bone dry and unappetizing. My immediate thought was Golden Corral would have provided a better brunch at a third of the price.

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

“Surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Went for lunch at the Bistro after a windy walk around Fort Monroe. The view, looking out at Hampton Roads is amazing. We saw an aircraft carrier, a sailboat and a large barge in just a few minutes. My expectations of the food was low and I was pleasantly surprised! I had a crab salad with fruit. It was 100% crab, dressed with a light dressing. The fruit was fresh. I got a carrot cake parfait for desert. it was terrific . My friend had an oyster poor boy sandwich. The oysters were freshly made and she made short work of the sandwich. Service was a little spotty but friendly. I'll be back. There is no bar or outdoor seating.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Wilmington, Delaware
“Food was not great, but the Hotel is beautiful”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Went to the Bistro on the 2nd floor for lunch on a Saturday afternoon. The view from inside was great! The food was just OK, but we had a very nice server.
Afterward, we strolled around the old Hotel, and it is still very beautiful and well kept, even though it is now a retirement home for the most part. I understand that they have weddings there and it really is a lovely, stately old building with a big marble lobby that is worth seeing. I felt like I had stepped into the 1920's. A must see in Fort Monroe!

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chesapeake, Virginia
“Saturday Lunch at The Chamberlin”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Nearly 30 years ago I was at the historic Fort Monroe on business. Besides the original fort and its history, I’d always remembered sitting on the veranda of the old Chamberlin Hotel after work seeping on a cold beer and enjoying the cool breeze from the Chesapeake Bay. I did get a chance to look around the hotel and though it was in need of some major costly repairs, it was still a grand place to visit.

On this visit, I was told those needed repairs and its conversion from a hotel to a luxury senior apartment facility ran $54 million. It is still a beautiful old building and the 2nd floor lobby offers hints of what it once was in its early 20th century heyday. Most of it is closed to public, to include that veranda I so vividly remember, but the restaurants are still open to the public. One of the photos I’ve added is a scan of a flyer with details about dining that is open to the public.

Lunch was simple, but good and very reasonably priced in the Bistro just off that 2nd floor lobby. It is very small, but offers a great view towards the Norfolk Navy Base across the bay. There are photos of various weddings held at the hotel of the past years and other art work in the small dining area.

Three more of my photos are of the lunch menu and the daily special. My wife and I both ordered the Fish and Chips. The fish was lightly-breaded local founder, rather than heavily-battered cod or other white fish – quite good. Other lunch guests had some of the other menu items and that Chamberlin Hamburger sure looked good. Lunch is basic, but inexpensive. It is not something you would go out of your way for, but the historic Chamberlin (building) and Fort Monroe are.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chesapeake, Virginia
“Day out in Hampton”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

My 2 friends and I took a drive to Hampton for lunch at the historic Chamberlin Hotel. Nothing at all interesting on the lunch menu. I had a roasted vegetable with goat cheese panini and my friends had the Brunswick Stew. My sandwich was okay, I guess, how can you screw up a sandwich? As for the Brunswick Stew, one of my friends seemed to enjoy it enough and the other seemed to be playing around with it after the first couple of bites. The hotel is home to senior living apartments/condos so expect to see and feel that atmosphere.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Been to The Chamberlin? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage The Chamberlin, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.