“Roach Motel” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 26 hotels in Hampton
Baltimore, Maryland
“Roach Motel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Worst hotel I have ever been to in my life. Enter our room, smells like an ashtray, not cleaned at all, trash and ash in the sink and bathroom floor. Then to my surprise a baby cockroach on the lampshade. Asked to switch rooms, new room had people's luggage inside. Next new room, electricity doesn't work. Ever other room was booked, only option was to go back to the roach room. Spent the rest of the night trying to find a new hotel down Mercury Blvd. but everything was booked. Don't let this happen to you. Got bit by bed bugs, and upon leaving there was an even bigger roach in the dresser. I was scarred for life. If you do stay here make sure you leave your suitcase outside or in your garage for several days to be sure all roaches and bugs vacate.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms entirely. Sleep in car.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

24 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Hampton, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

when we arrived in our first room the floor wasnt vaccumed and it was a big roach crawling on the wall so we checked under the couch and it was full of rollie pollies so we called front desk and they gave us another room. the second room had roaches also,the mirrors were smeared ,spider webs,ashes between the bed and night stand roaches in the drawer. i dont see how this place is still open for service it might as well be a roach motel. sheets were dirty it was ridiculous and i was will be calling the health department.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington, DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

First read these reviews DO NOT read the hotels.com reviews. I wish I could go there and comment but I'm unable to.

This hotel had a prices that was up there with the embassy suites and had a jacuzzi suite. I thought that it was at least comparable. The main reason I choose this hotel was for the suite and that i could bring my dog. It was big, big mistake. I should have took notice when we noticed there was a bullet proof registration area.

First, I was sure one of the rooms was used for drug selling that I watched take place while we were waiting to check in. We arrived very late and didn't have options to change at the last minute so we went through with the process. Once we got to the suites that was behind the hotel and a restaurant I started to get really concerned. The area was isolated and cut off. There was only one way out.

The first room was unbelievable it smelled like mold as you as you walked in. The floor was so disgusting I was afraid of taking off my shoes and I didn't even want my dog walking on the floor. There were white blotches everywhere. We asked for a room change and they had a housekeeper in there before we arrived spraying it with fabreeze which means it smelled also. There were still some white blotches on the floor but not as many. I was convinced every room was like this so how could they charge what they were charging. There was mold all over the bathroom on the sofas, chairs and anything that had cloth on it. The hangers were broke, one of the doors the safety latch was broke.

I called them and said that we were not staying past one night. They apologized and agree to refund us the next day but they charged us the full rate for the room $150 for the suite. I immediately started calling around to other hotels. Ended up at the Clarion Inn, 100 times better, half the price.

Through the night the dog barked several times because there was so much activity all night long in the parking lot. We just did not have a restful not, which was all I was hoping for.

Room Tip: the price of the suites are not worth it. I still can't believe we paid for that one night the s...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

I checked in to this hotel on 6/23/2012 for the Hampton jazz festival and it was the absolute worst. I kept driving by the hotel thinking 'this can't be it", but unfortunately it was! There were undesirable people hanging out in the front, which was very alarming. There was also only about two cars parked at hotel, which I found strange being that the Jazz Festival was in town. As I came into the hotel, I was very nervous, as the lobby was dimly lit and the furniture was worn. I spoke to the very gracious front desk person that informed me there was a power outage at the hotel, however I was still welcome to check in. She was very apologetic about the situation and stated she did not blame me if I chose not to stay. She gave me a room key and told me to go see what I thought. Well, needless to say I was back in 5 min requesting a full refund. The hotel complex was very scary, the pool was disgusting, and the rooms did not look well maintained... no comparison to most other area hotels. She again was apologetic and stated she would talk to the manager about the situation and she doubts there would be a problem issuing a refund. Prior to leaving I asked her ' Do people live at the hotel "and she stated that there are people that stay there on a weekly basis. I believe the hotel is running some type of shelter for the homeless, so beware. I called back several times asking for the manager to find out about being issued a credit to only be told each time that the manager was out. I now know I was speaking to the manager (Harry) the whole time. Expedia called the hotel to get a refund issued and was told by the manager that he was unwilling to issue such a credit. My advice is absolutely do not stay at this hotel, unless you don't mind a possible bug bite, staying in a place that houses people in the community, or run the risk of being mugged!!!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

Our stay was on June 23, 2012. When we arrived in Hampton there was a widespread power outage along Mercury Blvd. By the time we checked in, the power came on for about 30 minutes and then went out again. At that time, we left the room to attend the jazz festival. When we returned @ 1130 pm, the power was out at our hotel only and stayed out until 4 am. I understand that they cannot control the widespread outage but they could have at least attempted to make arrangements with other hotels for their customers. It was 90+ degrees outside. Imagine what the temp was inside a room where you cannot open a window. REALLY BAD BUSINESS!!! I WILL NEVER STAY THERE AGAIN OR REFER THEM TO ANYONE. I suggest you do the same.

P.S. I saw a roach when the lights came on...yuk!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

First time staying at this motel and Saturday was terrible because of the power outage from 5pm to 4am the next morning. The lack of concern from management was also unacceptable. I felt they should have at the very least provided candles for the guest to be able to see. I felt like I was in a third world country. So glad to be back home.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

We checked in late Friday. The management collected the two night stay at that time. Well. Say two at 5 pm the power go out rooms hot, no way to secure property because we needed the door open for the breeze. We were told we could have a partial refund after sitting in the dark for 4 hours. Bed bugs nibbled at our legs and the guest played music from the cars as entertainment. Never again!!!

• Stayed June 2012

Been to Hampton Bay Plaza and Suites? Share your experiences!