“Roach motel! "Enter at your own risk"” 1 of 5 stars

Hotels.com Tingo.com
Hampton Bay Plaza and Suites
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2000 West Mercury Blvd., Hampton, VA 23666   |
Ranked #24 of 26 hotels in Hampton
“Roach motel! "Enter at your own risk"”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011 via mobile

stayed here 3 years in a row, since under new mgt. Rooms are not kept clean! In 3 weeks they never cleaned the bathroom or the room. Everyday they give you unbleached towels, a roll of toilet paper & trash bags, that's it! No cleaning ever! There are tiny black bugs in bathroom & huge roaches, gross. The hotels has gone to the bugs! We'll never come back. The front desk doesn't care their obviously aware of these problems.

• Stayed August 2011

24 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Aberdeen, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2010

Remember the saying, "You get what you pay for!" My wife and I had to stay in Hampton a few days so we could move our daughter into her dorm. We were working with limited funds, so we decided to stay at the Hampton Bay Plaza & Suite. I'm not sure why they call it a "Plaza," when it is a motel. There were very few guest, many of the people we met lived at the motel. The room did not have a clock or a coffee maker, nor did the Iron work. The condition of the sheets and towels were poor. The pillows were flat and the carpet was poorly patched from old damage. The "suite" is two connecting motel rooms. One side is arranged like a normal motel room, the other side has the sofa, small table and TV.

The front lobby is only open from 7am - 10pm (give or take). I needed to talk to someone the day of check out. I went to the front desk 3 times between 7:30 am and 9:30 am before I got someone to come from the back. It was clear that I woke him up. Don't even think about breakfast. None is offered. This was the worst motel stay ever!!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2010 via mobile

I usually READ reviews and find them very helpful but I've never left a review but I felt the need to give my opinion as this was THEE most negative experience ever! As soon as I walked in, my 8year old daughter said "eww! It smells like smoke!" There was a stale and intense scent of old cigarettes. There were what appeared to be BLOOD stains on the carpet, strands of hair ALL over the place! The bed sheets AND washcloths all had brownish stains indicating how worn everything was! Springs were sticking up from both beds, the carpets and chairs were horribly soiled! We paid for 2nights but left the hotel at 8 the next morning after I had only about 2hours of sleep. Kids n adults right outside the door talking loudly mixed with the loud radio n TV from the room next door made it next to impossible to even TRY to sleep in this room. Oh and the sink was stopped up n hand prints on the bthrm door. We didn't wash our faces...just ran out the door in the morning.lastly, they will NOT give u a refund regardless of anything! We chose to let them keep the money n we ran away! This was a last minute decision and everything else was booked but next time, I'd rather have slept in our car!

• Stayed September 2010
Bowie, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2010

I read the reviews but had no choice-had to stay here --everything else was booked-now I know why this hotel had vacancies.
I will never stay there again. The bedding was dingy and also looked dirty. Although the location to the event I attended was good, the room was terrible.
I also learned that management doubled the prices for the weekend I was there.

When I left the room at 12:00-the bathroom was fine-however, but upon my return the commode was leaking.
When I called the office, at 9:00 Sunday night-the clerk suggested that I personally walk to the office to pick up a plunger and take care of the
problem. I said absolutely not and they sent a nice staff member who took care of the problem. I found the maintenace staff to be very nice but management needs lesson in how to treat others before they lose their business.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Chas WV
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2010

I stay at this hotel every year when attending the Hampton Jazz Festival. Mr Barot and his staff were wonderful. Our room was clean and the service was great. When my mom needed assistance getting her things to and from the room and her car, there was an African American gentleman who wore a red hat. (I'm sorry I didn't get his name but I remember him saying he was from Bridgeport, CT) He was VERY helpful. My mom walks with a cane and this man was always there helping us. Even at the expensive hotels you don't get that kind of service (Kindness counts for something) We Will be staying there next year as we do every year.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2010

First of all, when we pulled up to this MOTEL, my husband and I were very disappointed. We went with family to the 2010 Jazz Festival and got there really late at night. AT NIGHT in the dark we could tell the MOTEL was dirty and wanted to turn around and run...nonetheless, we decided to try it out since we couldn't find any other place nearby to attend the shows and parties because all the good places were booked. When we got in the room, the room was a mess...the comforter didn't smell right so we took that off the bed immediately. I didn't want the sheets to touch my skin so I went to the Walmart and got new sleepwear. I slept in pants and a long sleeve shirt in the hot summer heat. When I took a shower I had to wear FLIP FLOPS cause the shower looked gross, I couldn't even draw the shower curtain close because it had mildew on the bottom of the curtain and I didn't want them to touch me. The towels were thin and brittle and the carpet had questionable stains. There was trash left behind the dressers and a condom wrapper in the nightstand drawer. The next day we checked out!!! But in our rush to depart I left my very expensive handbag ($1400 Louis Vuitton) in the room. I immediately called the manager who was extremely rude and told me that they have honest housekeepers so to call back the next day to speak with the owner...After hours of call backs and run arounds I spoke directly to the housekeeper who said she never saw the bag. NO ONE CHECKED IN AFTER US but it was gone!!! After hours on the phone calmly talking, I FLIPPED OUT!!! I WILL NEVER stay in this HELL HOLE again. I would rather drive 4 hours there and back home before I EVER stay in this place again. BEWARE!!!! CHEAP ISN'T ALWAYS A GREAT THING!!! Spend your money on comfort and relax in quality. You get what you pay for and we ended up paying $1500 for a night of HELL!!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Suffolk, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2010

OBAMA was here in Hampton last weekend. The experience was humbling. A couple of my extended family members came from out of town. They were looking for a hotel near Hampton University. They came across Hampton Bay Plaza and Suites. The hotel was reasonably priced, clean and comfortable. The staff was very welcoming and during the hectic weekend they went the extra mile to make it feel like home.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

Been to Hampton Bay Plaza and Suites? Share your experiences!