“Nice place” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 26 hotels in Hampton
O'Fallon, Missouri
“Nice place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

This was a nice hotel with ample parking. It is located in an area with plenty of other hotel options close by as well as shopping and dining. The foyer is small but has seating and restaurant in it for those who are looking for a place to relax and get a casual bite to eat. That said, you can also buy your breakfast here as no complimentary breakfast is provided. Standard small "Market" with some snacks, drinks, etc. to purchase that is located next to front desk. Staff is very friendly, motivated and helpful. The room I had was very nice and included a small refrigerator inside a cabinet...but no microwave. I thought that was pretty standard appliance in hotel rooms but apparently not the Courtyard. Bed was very comfortable with nice but small pillows. I found the area around the hotel to be nice to take a jog on with plenty of sidewalks to run on. The courtyard itself was nice and had seating to enjoy sitting outside in the evening. I'd have no problem staying here again but I'd probably choose a hotel that provided complimentary breakfast over it, all things being equal.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

80 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Yorktown Heights, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Decided to stay at this property on the way home from Hilton Head Island via the Chesapeake Bay Bridge to the Northeast. The property is conveniently located off the interstate in Hampton Virginia. The room was modern and very clean. I did not get a courtyard view room and therefore my room had a sliding glass door into "mulch" and grass before the parking lot which I found a bit odd and perhaps a security concern to some. Additionally, the pool was open until 9 but there were no lights in the pool area so after the sun had set it was very dark on the pool patio. The beds were a bit soft and you felt as if you were being sucked into the mattress - but otherwise fine unless you like a very firm mattress.

If in Hampton, I would not hesitate to book this hotel, the staff was very friendly on both check in and check out.

Room Tip: Ask for a courtyard room which faces into pool area in lieu of parking lot area.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Mark B, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Hampton, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Paul B...Thank you for your response. We try very hard to ensure every guest has a great experience when staying with us. Thank you again for taking time to tell us about you time here with us and hope that if your travels bring you back to Hampton you will stay with us again!
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Staff was very attentive... the courtyard was your average upgraded courtyard. the lobby was clean... the food was okay (a little overpriced as to be expecte) The pool was a little less than what I expected....it is outside ( We preferred an Iindoir pool )rooms were your average marriott courtyard decor.
Location wwasin good walking distance from many many stores and restaurants including Golden Corral. It was a bikers convention...."Bufflo Soldiers" who were amazing...along with alot of history. And also AAU Nationals for 6th grade. With all that was going on...the hotel still managed individual attentikn to everone!

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your kind words and hope that if your travels bring you back to the Hampton, VA area we hope to see you back here at the Courtyard.
Hampton, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The newly renovated hotel was awesome! My 6 y/o granddaughter said, "This room is awesome!" "The pool is awesome!" My 4 y/o granddaughter asked me about my new apartment, and wanted to stay! The kids loved "swimming" in the pool with their floaties. It was awesome to use their computer and printer. The staff members made me aware of the Bristro, pool, business supplies, computer/printer, etc. Everyone smiled. The managers, office staff, housekeeper, and Bistro staff were all friendly, personable, and professional. I frequent hotels monthly and I am thrilled that I returned to this hotel. Staff assisted me with my grandchildren to ensure that they were happy and safe. My patio room was "awesome." The bed was very comfortable and room very clean. Returning to this hotel is an absolute YES! E. Pitchford

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
MS
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

If all had went well, I would have given this hotel 4 stars with no qualms. However, I unfortunately had a (fluke?) unpleasant experience with ants that I can't overlook in giving my overall rating. I could probably even go to 2-stars but the other aspects of this hotel helped me to settle at 3-stars.

Found out I had to go on a last minute work trip, and being the hotel "snob" that I am, I tried to research as well as I could in the time I had a hotel that was clean and in a safe location near where I needed to be. When Hampton Inn and my other usual options were over my work's per diem lodging allowance, I was glad to come across this Courtyard Marriott, especially seeing that it had recently been renovated and had pretty good reviews.

Upon pulling up to the hotel, as someone else had said, the exterior is nothing to get excited about. You could clearly tell it was an older hotel/building. (Found out later from a local that this area used to be pretty "rough" but has been in the process of being cleaned up and revamped.)

They definitely did a good job with renovating the lobby. It looks very fresh and modern. Everyone who worked at the hotel that we encountered was nice and cordial. When going to my room on the 2nd floor, the hall smelled a bit humid and damp. Then when opening the door to my room, I quickly realized that the nice "VFM Leonardo" room pictures look considerably nicer and newer online than in person. The carpet seemed clean and the bed linens were in good shape, but you could really tell the old room walls just got a slap of red paint for the renovation. Bathrooms were also in good shape, no visible mold or dirtiness but not my favorite part of the room either. A/C was good and easy to control with the thermostat on the wall. Breakfast downstairs is pretty good but a bit pricey, luckily it was free with my government rate. Location is also very close to I-64 and lots of restaurant chains and shopping (Target, Bass Pro, Peninsula Town Centre shopping, CineBistro) etc.

Now I'll cut to the chase. The first night I noticed an ant in my sink and one by the nightstand but decided not to think much of it. I had a decent night sleep with no issues with noise or ants. However, after returning to my room on the 2nd night, I was stunned to open the door and see an unopened folded over Panera bag that I had left on the dresser COVERED with at least 100 ants frantically trying to get inside the bag to the uneaten pastry I had been saving. After getting over the travesty of my sacrificed pastry, I carefully tossed the bag into the trash can only to find tons more ants left scurrying all over the dresser. Trying to trace the origin, I noticed ants were crawling along the carpet baseboards and getting up to the dresser. After calling the front desk, they offered to move me to a new room as well as free breakfast. A friendly lady from housekeeping brought my new room key up while I finished packing up to move to the new room, which was on the same floor and down the hall towards the elevators. I don't know if it was just the fact that this room was pest-free but my new room seemed a bit fresher, less damp and musty smelling, and just, better. Amusingly enough, after turning on the TV in my new room, the local news had a segment on how ants were invading homes more than ever this year due to heat/rain. I will note that my coworker in the room next door to mine with the ants didn't see a single ant in his room (though he did experience some other minor issues).

Overall, the staff at this hotel is nice and does their job well, and aside from my problem with the ants, the hotel is decently clean, but if I have to travel to this area again, I will definitely try to book elsewhere at my usual tried and true hotel chains.

Room Tip: My bad experience with the ants was with Room 233. My coworker was next door in Room 235 and didn...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. For a two-week period we experienced an unfortunate infestation of ants in a localized part of our hotel. Due to an extensive period of rain we had the week prior the ants just felt they needed a place to dry off. Unfortunately, it just so happened to be one of the rooms you were in. We worked with a local exterminating company for the entire month and I am happy to report that the ants have left the building. We appreciate your feedback and hope that if your travels bring you back to the Hampton, VA area we hope to see you back here at the Courtyard.
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Travelled to Hampton for a boys basketball tourney. Our whole team and families stayed at the hotel. Staff of the hotel was top notch, we asked if we could have a team bbq the final night, not only did they allow us to in the courtyard, but the supplied us with a gas bbq grill. Next year we will be back

Rooms were clean, hotel updated.

Slight knock and I know its picky....they towels need to be softer...I am spoiled I know.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Howell, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

This was a really nice hotel and it was very quiet. The staff were extremely helpful. We were here for 7 nights and had no problems. The pool was very nice and The Bistro restaurant had great food although it was a bit pricey. Overall, this is a great place to stay if your coming to Hampton.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Hampton? Share your experiences!