“Even better the second time around” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #8 of 26 Hotels in Hampton
Richmond, Virginia
“Even better the second time around”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2010

I recently stayed at this hotel again over the Memorial Day weekend.

While I used to stay at this hotel pretty regularly it had been about 10 years since my last visit. I always liked the place -- it's slightly out of the way location made it feel like my own little find and the large rooms with their full floor to ceiling V-shaped bay windows are great.

The original financing of the hotel left it strapped with a lot of debt and the owners were unable to keep up with keeping the hotel up to date and in prime condition over the years. Now there are new owners and 5 million dollar renovation to the property.

The lobby is all decked out in a blue and white nautical theme which carries over into the room in gold and blue. Photographs of old Cris-craft boats decorate the walls. The restaurant also has received improvements but it's feature -- a large wall of windows looking out on the water remains unchanged.

I was lucky enough to get one of the larger corner rooms. These have bay windows on two different sides and since you can see the water from three sides of the building you should get at least one killer view if you can score one one your visit. My room had a nice king size bed and a sitting area with both a sofa in the bay window and a large chair. The updates in the bathroom include replacing the tub with a large shower. The room is technologically up-to-date with a large flat panel TV and free wireless internet connection.

Check-in was quick. The bar staff at dinner and the breakfast crew in the restaurant were pleasant and professional. When I ordered an item for dinner for which they had run out of the kitchen staff was able to improvise a replacement for me. The food both for dinner and breakfast was very good and the service attentive.

The new incarnation of the hotel seems to be well on its way to being a success and I would recommend it without reservation.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Melvin N, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hampton Marina, responded to this review, November 8, 2014
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We will be sure to share your comments with our Team We Thanks again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2010

Location's prime, rooms are spacious and comfortable, view is excellent, everything is clean. Pretty luxurious. If you can afford it, stay here.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. We are happy to hear that you found our hotel to be beautiful. Thank you!
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2010

This was my first stay at this hotel. Reception was very pleasant and efficient. There is free parking in an adjacent covered garage. Lobby and restaurant areas are very nice with lots of interesting wooden sail boat models. Went to the room and it didn't make a great first impression. Tiny bathroom with low ceiling. Stand-up shower only with odd tile on the floor. Textured paint on several walls. But then it started to grow on me. There is a nautical theme to the room and, while the bright yellow, blue, and white sailing colors are a little bold, they did design some very cool elements into the furniture - using marine hardware for drawer pulls and making the table tops look like the planked top of an old wooden Chris Craft power boat. Very comfy bed. Great view of the adjacent marina. Very quiet. The room was clean, but they need to call a painter to touch-up doors and walls. And, I never did warm up to the shower. I paid $129 plus tax for a king room on a Wednesday night. What a deal! Definitely request a water view room.

Also, there is a small but nice "Old Hampton" area of town adjacent to the hotel. Its only about 6 square blocks and Queens Way has a few shops but also several bar/restaurants that have surprisingly good food, cheap drinks, live bands, and a good time all around. I used to stay over in downtown Norfolk for the Granby Street party scene, but it has really dropped off over there. This is very casual and low key - but I had a great meal and a lot of fun. The hotel restaurant looked nice, but I didn't eat there.

I would stay here again next time I am in town.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for your review we are glad to hear you found our hotel to have a “Nice location and view and excellent value”
Thank you!
Charlottesville, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2010

Spent a couple nights here and really enjoyed it. Ended up with two different rooms- each of them was very clean and comfortable. I enjoyed the layout of the rooms and there was ample room to spread out and relax in the evening on the couch & chairs. Has a nice breakfast buffet for $10. Staff was very friendly and helpful to me. Also has free garage parking and free WIFI. If you can, the 9th floor on the East side is very nice- rooms with tall ceilings and a great sunrise view over the harbor.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We are happy to hear you had a nice stay! We will be sure to share your comments with our staff. We are glad to hear you had a great stay! Thanks again.
Walsall
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2010

We stayed here for 6 nights due to being delayed by the volcano in Iceland. We were on the 7th floor and had the most amazing view from out windows over the marina. The room was spotless with 2 double beds.

The maid didn't changed the bed linen the first time we left the note on the bed, but she changed it the next day. Unfortunately she also left a sewing needle in the duvet cover, which luckily didn't quite stick in my neck when I went to bed! When I told the lady on reception the next day she wasn't very forthcoming with a sorry, she just looked a bit bemused.

We only used the restaurant twice, once for dinner and once for breakfast. The waitress at dinner was lovely and told us her whole life story. The breakfast buffet was fine and there was even a visit from Pete the local crane.

The streets around the hotel didn't look too safe to walk around in. I might have this wrong but when we ventured out on the first night we quickly went back to the hotel.

Unfortunately the swimming pool was being repainted while we were there so we couldn't use it.

This hotel was a lovely base to travel around from. Its not far from Virginia Beach and Norfolk and had free parking and I would definitely recommend it to anyone wanting to see this part of the country.

Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. We are happy to hear that you find our hotel to have a “Fantastic View of Marina”
Thank you for your comments as well about our breathtaking marina views.
We wish you safe travels and look forward to your next visit!
Northern Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2010

This is the second time I've stayed at a Crowne Plaza and I have to say, they have both been really great. The hotel had this really great nautical theme. The room was beautiful and spacious. I love the white linens and the little sachet with earplugs and eye mask.

We were on the second floor which had the fitness room. The fitness room way basic, but had things I didn't expect. There were free weights, a lifting machine that had, at least, leg press and bench press. There was a treadmill, elliptical machine and recumbent bike. There was a door to the roof where there pool was. The things I didn't expect were they had towels and a water cooler with cups.

The restaurant was nice. I was able to get a yummy slice of chocolate cake to go. In the morning, we had to order off the menu, because they said there weren't enough people to warrant the buffet. I got one egg and a bowl of oatmeal and it cost about $8. So, I thought it was a little pricey. The buffet is $10, which is obviously a better value.

I understand what some folks were saying about the service. For me, it wasn't overall. There were some employees that were more helpful than others. When I checked in, there was a man and a woman. I would ask questions and the man would give a quick, not really that helpful answer. Then, the woman chimed in and was really helpful.

I gave a few items 4 stars out of 5. Cleanliness, over all, it was really clean. There were a few spots that weren't, such has the outlet covers. One of them, in particular, was really gross and the light switches on the wall. The rest was spotless. I already commented on the service. The sleep quality, the a/c unit was really loud when it kicked on. Though, it was really nice that it was a thermostat instead of just a high/low switch. And the traffic was loud, but that's not the fault of the hotel. I didn't sleep too well, because I sleep on memory foam. The beds were pretty firm. But that is better than saggy.

One last thought, I checked for signs of bed bugs in the creases of the mattress and they were spotless. Just thought I'd put that out there.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay. We will be sure to share your comments with our staff here at the hotel. We wish you safe travels and we look forward to your next visit. Thanks again.
Washington DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2009

My husband and I, along with several members of our family, stayed at this hotel for a wedding. Right off the bat we had problems. First, our room, which we had booked through their events agent for a specific floor, would not be ready until an hour before the wedding, and there was nothing they could do. Check in time wasn't until 4 p.m., so we were forced to stay on another floor away from our family. Of course even though we were inconvenienced, they still put us in the noisy room right off the elevator.

In addition, when requesting a late check out at 1 p.m. instead of 11 a.m., staff actually laughed at me and were unable to accomodate my request. Also, the complimentary breakfast took nearly an hour to arrive, and we were ignored pretty effectively by our waitress most of that time.

Also, although the hotel was nice, many things in our room were broken, including the shower doors, which wouldn't open, and the shower handle, which was falling off. We paid $130/night for the room, which is alot of money for the kind of attitude we got from staff. If I were you I'd take my money somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
DTDavis, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hampton Marina, responded to this review, October 23, 2009
Dear Guest from Washington DC,
We are sorry to hear that your experience at our hotel did not meet your expectations. We appreciate the information and we have addressed the issues that you so kindly pointed out. I hope you will give us another opportunity to prove that this experience was isolated and your concerns have been rectified.
Regards, DT Davis

Been to Crowne Plaza Hampton Marina? Share your experiences!