“WOW! This is a Ramada??” 1 of 5 stars

Rodeway Inn & Suites
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1905 Coliseum Drive, Hampton, VA 23666   |
Ranked #21 of 26 Hotels in Hampton
grimesland, nc
“WOW! This is a Ramada??”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

Horrible is all I can say! We thought that my booking at a Ramada we would be safe. I wish I had looked at these reviews before we stopped. Our room smelled, the bed skirt had a large tear in it, the bath tub mat had black/green stuff along the edges of it. My husband took a shower and put a towel down in the tub to step on and then the tub had a slow drain on top of that. After we checked in we saw a police officer walking around the hotel looking in the garbage cans... we heard him say to an employee that he was looking for evidence!! The employee told me that we had nothing to worry about! We went out that night and when we got back to the hotel we pulled in to a bunch of hoodlums hanging out and being rowdy. Luckily it rained and sent them on their way! The ONLY good thing I can say about this Ramada is that the bed was comfortable and after a couple Advil PM's I was able to fall asleep (too worried about our car outside). I can't think of a good reason to stay here when there are tons of other options in the area!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Fredericksburg, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2011

Have you ever had the feeling you've walked into the wrong place because you CAN'T be seeing what's in front of your eyes? Here's what I experienced but first, let me say, I'd call this a MOTEL and not hotel.
- The carpet looked like it hadn't seen a vacuum in QUITE a while. I DARED to put a toe on it.
- The chair and ottoman could have used a cleaning...deep cleaning.
- The remote seemed to have been chewed up and had no back where the batteries are located (which were mismatched by the way).
- There was NO clock.
- The toilet seat was very questionable.
- The tub, which had a slip mat, had seen better days. What I saw under the curled edges of the slip mat...well, I don't even want to go there.
With all that said, I wasn't too sure about the bed so I slept on the bedspread with a towel as a blanket.
- Breakfast selection seemed to be ok, I just had 1/2 bagel and some juice. That seemed safe enough.
BUT, on the upside, the location to the Hampton Coliseum was perfect.
I'm not a picky person...really I'm not, but that room had me wondering if a "john" was going to knock on the door at any moment. It could be SO much better since the location is perfect for Coliseum events.
Sorry Ramada....

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Hopton on Sea, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2011

I arrived at the Ramada Hampton after a lengthy flight and then long drive down to Virginia. I made the mistake of thinking the Ramada name would be associated with a good service and clean hotel..this was neither. I have to agree with all the negative comments posted earlier, disappoointingly this hotel was awful. The rooms are very dated and have a damp smell. To my amazement my bath was 3" deep with dirty water and toilet roll. I promptly checked out and went to the Courtyard Marriott which even though double the price was excellent. Buy cheap and buy twice! In conclusion the Rmada Hampton is an absolutely awful hotel and I would only recommend this hotel to my worst enemy.

Room Tip: do not stay at the Rmada Hampton
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Oneida, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

I usually take one long trip and 2 or 3 short trips a year and stay at mostly Days Inn's, Ramada's. While most hotels in these chains have similar advantages and disadvantages, this hotel was one of the worst I have stayed at. It is a shame, because there is a lot of potential given the location. The hotel lobby is kind of awkward and not labeled clearly outside. It was unclear as to where to park your car while checking in, because the looby entrance was unmarked and looks like a basic hallway corridor entryway. You have to walk down a small corridor to find the lobby, past the after hours (8P.M - 6 A.M) security window, into a second door and turn left to reach the front desk. At check-in, the gentleman was friendly, but obviously distracted by the personal phone call he was on. None of this would normally matter to me, I have seen much worse. Unfortunately, we were given two rooms on the third floor. The elevator door kept shutting as soon as it opened and felt very unsafe. (it was so rickety feeling that I actually looked at the inspection sticker-April 2009). Then when we exited the elevator, you are on a balcony/breezeway and have to enter a door to the room hallway. The balcony showed serious signs of neglect and wear and tear to walls/paint/trashcan etc. When we entered the hallway to our rooms, we all were disgusted.(I would use a less harsh word if it weren't exactly how we felt) The hallway looks like the hallway in The Shining and is dated beyond belief. The carpets were filthy, the walls were filthy and most of the door room number plaques were missing. Where the plaques once were, there were handwritten numbers on the wallpaper. These were obviously not recently torn off by some kids as you could clearly tell that they were written at different times and some had been written over numerous times, and most were even partially worn off. While this may seem like a small thing, it is a very clear example of the lack of capital investment at this property. While the rooms appeared they were recently painted with knockdown texture, the rest of the hotel appeared to have been stuck in the 70's. The bedspreads in Both of our non-smoking rooms along with both sets of curtains, had numerous cigarrette burn holes in them. The blankets on the bed were so stained, pilled and old that our kids would not even sleep with them on the bed. All of the furniture was VERY old and worn out. I have seen newer furniture in truck stop motels then what they have in the rooms. On top of all that, the next morning, when we came down for the "HOT" breakfast, it was just a final kick in the teeth. The chaffing dish that would normally house the "HOT" portion of our breakfast was completely empty except for the 4 or 5 steam circles where some sausage patties may have been. (4 or 5!). The milk my wife put in her cereal(rationed out in 8 OZ. foam cups and labeled in small cooler) was sour so the kids could not have cereal, or hot items. I do not like to post negative reviews as I understand that my experience may not be exactly what everyone experiences, but I really wish that I had seen a review like this before making my reservations. On our way out the door, laying on the window air conditioner was a marijuana roach clip that seemed to symbolize my entire feeling about our stay. Ironically, while I did not sleep well, my wife and the kids all said they had the best night sleep of our entire trip - the bed was comfortable. And the housekeeping as far as in room cleanliness was good. Public areas were not though.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Fayetteville, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2011

This was a hotel on the list of hotels for a major military conference at the Hampton Convention Center. While the location was ideal, the hotel and the service left much to be desired. To begin with, the hotel lobby was not accessible after 8 pm without a guest key. While this is not the problem, if security was an issue why were the GUESTS rooms accessible by anybody. The hotel lobby/clerk was protected afterhours, but the guest were not? Did not understand that concept. The housekeeping was horrible. Not everything was replaced daily nor did it seem like they took the time to do the little things that warranted a tip. For example, thermostats were not adjusted for you when the weather changed, coffee/sugar packets not replaced, trash not thrown away. The "business center" consisted of one archaic computer. The printer was "down" the entire time we were there. The continental breakfast was a joke. Offering coffee with no type of creamer, bagels with no offer of butter/margarine. The staff did not know much about Wyndham rewards. Example, I signed up my next to last day and it was clearly indicated on the website that I could earn points immediately and for that stay. When I went to add my member number to my reservation I was told I could not earn rewards for that stay. Ultimately I had to speak to the manager regarding this. Finally, the halls were noisy. I could hear every door close and the housekeepers were noisy so if you happen to come back for your lunch for a quick nap, forget about sleeping. The service overall was very bad.
Most of the attendees of this HUGE, ANNUAL military conference who stayed here will recommend to the conference organizers that this hotel be left off the list of recommended hotels if they decide to come back to Virginia.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011

Needs to be cleaned. Hallways & rooms need majors remodelling or at least some TLC. Need new carpets, new furniture. Took them 3 days to fix the hot water, then sink not draining. Continental breakfast needs more choices. Basically charging too much for the quality. Only good think is a 10 min walk to Coliseum & Convention center.

• Stayed March 2011
Takoma Park, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2010

The Ramada Inn Hampton is a fine enough place to stay if you're only in town for a night or two. I'm not sure I'd want to stay much longer than that. My boyfriend and I were in town for a two night concert at the Coliseum over Halloween weekend and just needed a place to sleep and shower. The room was pretty clean, the bed didn't pose any issues, but the water pressure and temperature control in the shower were a joke. Also there were other random irritating things, like the remote for the TV was missing a battery and the smoke detector loudly beeped all night long. The hotel as a whole does not seem to be in the world's greatest shape and appears to be overdue for some major touch-ups. We never got up in time for the complimentary breakfast, but that's a nice touch. The front desk staff we spoke with were very friendly and professional, though there was one cleaning woman who barged into our room one morning without knocking. (Luckily we were dressed!) If you're in town for a Coliseum event, the location is excellent -- about a 5-10 minute walk from the hotel parking lot to the venue -- and hopefully you'll have such a great time at the show you attend that you won't really care about staying in a lackluster facility. That was certainly the case for us.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Rodeway Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!