“Pretty bad” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 26 Hotels in Hampton
Bristol, Virginia
“Pretty bad”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

This place needs a thorough inspection by the health dept. Bedspread on our bed was full of holes and dirty!!!! The floor in the breakfast area was so sticky the soles were almost pulled off my shoes!! Halls reeked of old cigarette smoke and the air conditioner was very loud. Pool was closed too but I doubt I would have used it anyway. Corporate needs to shut this one done ASAP

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Shenandoah, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

I am actually really surprised by how much this hotel has cleaned itself up! It is becoming nice. The remodeled rooms are clean and crisp. The breakfast is nice. The front desk is great! I love it!!! I will continue to stay here over and over again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Pittsburgh, pa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We just returned from a two-night stay at this property and I have to agree with most of the previous reviews. It is certainly showing it's age at least on the interior - patched plaster, stains on the upholstery and carpet, and a non-working toaster in the breakfast area. But it also has a lot going for it. The selections on the breakfast bar are plentiful, the owner and staff are friendly and accommodating, the water was hot and the room was clean. The coffee in the lobby was good and plentiful 24-hours a day and It was less than 10 minutes from the three different locations we had to travel to. It was also half the price of any other near-by hotel. Since we were only sleeping here and eating breakfast this hotel filled the bill at a reasonable cost.

Room Tip: If you want luxury, do not stay here.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
New York, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

This place must assume there are no repeat travelers. The have signs "Excuse our appearance" because they are under going renovations. There is no start date or estimate for when these "renovations" are complete. I saw no work trucks or any signs of an ongoing "renovation", only peeling wall paper and cracked elevator tiles, seriously. The desk staff is awesome and deserve to work in a better environment. The cleaning staff are exactly where they deserve to be. I slept on top of the blanket, in my clothes. No way I risked going into those sheets and wasn't sure what may have been living in the sofa, which is a pull out that could not be pulled in. The toilet had urine on the seat, obviously the cleaning person never bothered to put the lid down, gross.

Room Tip: Whatever you do, for the love of god, do not take a room on the 5th floor. You have been warned.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

I travel to Virginia often and this is the only place I will stay. Though this most recent time it wasn't all that great it's only because they were going through renovations. The staff is always friendly and helpful, the walk in area is small and always clean. As long as I travel I will continue to stay here!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Woodbridge, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

My husband, 5 year-old son and I stayed here just one Friday night, on 8/24, to go to a daytime event at the Hampton Roads Convention Center - and only to avoid making the 2.5 hour drive there and back on the same day, since we live in Northern Virginia. And, I will say tat I have stayed in Choice Hotels' different brands before and at NO TIME have I had these same issues. The Econo Lodge on 21st St., in Virginia Beach, is MUCH nicer. The Comfort Suites, in Oceanside, CA, was much nicer.

So, as we drive into the parking lot (close to 11:45 PM), we notice that only the front portion of it is well lit. I had already passed two VERY tight parking spaces (because the lovely guests on either side were both parked on or just over the lines), so I had to go to the back of the parking lot. There was ample parking, in the black night of the lot, but we could see one sports car backed into a space with some guy/man/whatever...sitting in the passenger seat. The car was off and he was just sitting there in the dark. So, we drove to the front and squeezed between two "over the line" parked cars.

Inside the hotel looked okay - in the lobby. But, the first thing I asked the guy at the desk was about whether or not there have been recent cases of bed bugs. He advised that they resolved the issue by getting new furniture and mattresses. I asked this because after we made the reservation online, we saw some reviews (not sure how we missed them before) indicating this place had a bed bug problem.

In our non-smoking hotel, our bed spread has a cigarrette burn in it. It's a non-smoking hotel.

We were on the 4th floor, in room 408. The hall was kind of icky with obvioulsy unfinished (and not in progress) old paint (you can see the pics I've posted) and other lower quality decorations. There were 2 different sized and types of chairs (like dining room chairs or something) in the hall, next to the soda machines.

I cannot believe the Comfort Inn woud give or room to any paying customer. Our total was $72.42 which included an unrequested $1.00 charge for a safe we 1) did not use and 2) did not see until we were on our way out the door when we checked out. In was on the bottom shelf of what appeared to be an end table by the front door.

The first thing we did was check the sheets on the bed (they seemed clean) and under the bed and mattress, as well as on top of and under the mattress pad, for bed bugs. We didn't see any, but sleeping was very tough.

On to the actual issues:
*The heater/AC vent was FILTHY (picture is posted)!
*Paint splatters were on various parts of the bathroom door, the valance over the window...and...why?
*The rack with the coat hangers had been relocated on the same wall. But, the holes from where it was, previously, were not filled. It looked awful.
*The handles to the dresser and end table were broken/loose and had not been fixed.
*The cieling vent in the bathroom was not secured and was crooked.
*There was only one nightstand lamp. Yep, on my husband's side of the bed, there was a lamp. Nothing on mine. Just a plain old empty (on the top and the bottom) night stand.
*THE BATHROOM PIPES HAD MOLD AND MILDEW on them AND peeling paint!!!

This place was nasty and it should be a health violation for them to book anyone in this room. I'm quite unhappy and will be writing to corporate. I should not have been charged anything for this less than accomodating room.

On Saturday morning, we went to the lobby (there really is not a separate area to sit and eat asde frm the handful of tables at the entrance of the comfort inn - next to the front desk and next to the front door. There was one piece of sausage, no fresh coffee (it was just empty) and the yogurt and the peeled, hard boiled eggs were frozen!!! I asked the attendant if more sausage was coming out. She said in about 8 or 9 minutes. About 8 minutes later, another gues asked her about the sausage and, again, she told them about 8 or 9 more minutes. I mentioned, to her, that she told me this very timeframe about 8 or 9 minutes ago. She said the sausage needed to brown. Okay. Still no coffee until we were almost done eating. My, my...thank goodness I was not starving.

As we checked out, the young lady at the front desk asked how everything . I told her our room was nasty. She smiled and told me she hoped t wouldn't be that bad in the future. Really??? That's her response??? Great customer service, Comfort Inn. Way to make a happy customer!

I'm definitely re-thinking our Comfort Suites booking, in Orlando, next month. I could not stand a full week of living in a sub-standard place like this.

Room Tip: The space in your car is better. Stay there.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Stamford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

Stayed at the Comfort Inn in Hampton Virginia from 07\03\12 to 07\05\12 and I must the location and the staff where a Joy but the hotel need to be upgraded the rooms were OK the bathroom was small but clean, But the overall feel was an old place like I said needs a makeover

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN Hampton Coliseum Inn? Share your experiences!