“I wouldn't stay again under any circumstances” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Inn & Suites by Hampton Convention Center

You added Clarion Inn & Suites by Hampton Convention Center to your Saves list
Clarion Inn & Suites by Hampton Convention Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1809 W Mercury Blvd, Building A, Hampton, VA 23666 (Formerly Quality Inn & Suites & Conf Cntr)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #20 of 26 Hotels in Hampton
Williamsburg, Virginia
“I wouldn't stay again under any circumstances”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2014

Checkin - I would say that this experience should have made me walk away. I approached the front desk and there was a woman complaining about the room that she was staying in and they were less than pleased about her. They really gave her a hard time about her reasoning and she only wanted a new room, not even a refund. So they finally agree to give her a different room. A few moments later, the lady that was checking me in was giving me a room and the MANAGER- told her to give me the room that the lady had just been complaining about. So when I asked her if that was the same room, the manager pretended not to hear me and walked away. The lady that was checking me in said discreetly, I'll just give you another room. I was grateful and a little annoyed, by that because the manager didn't intend to rectify whatever it was the other customer found unsatisfactory.

The room- needs upgrading the wallpapers were peeling. The pullout couch was very worn and in need of a new mattress, the floor would have been better frankly. The extra linen that was provided for the pullout was not fresh and smelled like it hadn't been replaced in quite a while. The room was otherwise clean, just really in need of upgrading and a good clean down, it felt dingy. The television was bulky and a tube.

Elevator- one was out of order and we were on the 7th floor, so that was annoying.

I wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Hotel1809Mercury, Front Office Manager at Clarion Inn & Suites by Hampton Convention Center, responded to this review, October 18, 2014
Dear T B,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review. I would like to apologize for failing to meet your expectations. I would also like to apologize if the manager working that day seemed to have a foul attitude and I can assure the manager probably just did not hear the question/comment made by you about the room. I am however glad that our guest service agent was able to accommodate you with a different room than the one previously given to other guest that they did not take. We are aware that our property is in need of some improvements and we are working toward making changes to our property to better address our guests wants and needs. Your feedback will be used in our ongoing efforts to improve our staff and our performance.

Thank you, T B, and we hope you'll consider giving us a second chance.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Clinton, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2014

Hotel in need of repairs. One of two elevators out of order. Dirty towels issued with clean dingy towels. Security lock broken off room door. Ice machine leaking in hall . Over all decor dim and could use painting.

Hello Lester S,

Thank you for leaving a review. Our property is looking forward to having renovations and making improvements to better suit our guests wants and needs. We are an older property and we try our best to keep the hotel suitable for our guests with what we have. We appreciate all kinds of feedback and we are glad to hear from. This will help us when making our improvements and we hope we can make our hotel the best for our guests.

Thank you, Lester S, have a wonderful day!
Ney York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2014

Hotel is very dated inside and out. Hallway, elevator and sleeping room was filthy. Room had ants crawling everywhere including the bed. Dead cockroaches in hallway. Could not sleep in the bed because I felt there were ants crawling on me. Bathroom is so small and found hair on floor. The hotel is in a great location, but be careful if going out alone. Pay a little extra and find yourself a nicer hotel. PLEASE BE AWARE AND STAY AWAY!!!

Dear njstrong,

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for taking the time to leave a comment regarding your recent stay with us. I would like to apologize that you were not satisfied with your visit. I hope you had a chance to share your discomfort with our staff while you were still at our property so we can address the issues. As a property we are looking forward to making changes to our appearance to better suit our guests and their needs and are hoping to see changes sooner than later. Our property is treated by an exterminator to prevent pests from entering but due to unforeseeable conditions that may occur pests can still enter. In the event there are pests in our hotel we take the proper precautions and will treat the areas affected. We want our guests to be comfortable and feel secure so we will try our best to make that happen. Your review has been helpful with the training and retraining of staff and is helpful in making future decisions regarding cleanliness, extermination, and ways to improve guest satisfaction.

Thank you, njstrong. Have a wonderful week.
Whiteman afb
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2014

This is the one for you! We got a great rate for the pet room, on top of military discount.

The room was very clean and comfortable.

Also went for a swim and enjoyed the pool.

The location is convienent with lots around to do.

• Stayed March 2014
Hello Megancash91,

Thank you so much for leaving your review. It's excellent to see how much you enjoyed your stay. We pride ourselves in being one of the few pet friendly hotels in the Coliseum District and are always happy to have our four legged friends stay with us! I will be sure to share your review with the rest of the staff which will serve as encouragement to keep up the good work and work harder. I hope Megancash91, that you'll consider staying with us again.

Have a wonderful day!
Owasso, Oklahoma
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

Good location, but the entire facility was dirty. There were crushed M&Ms and dead bugs in the elevator the entire 4 days I was there. In the bathroom there was grime and hair in every corner. An armchair in the room was dirty and torn. The bed seemed to be clean, but the sheets were very thin. Hooters was right next door and I was afraid to leave the room after dark.
I would not recommend.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Dear P4221AOtraveler,

Thank you for leaving a review about your stay. I'm sorry to hear your stay wasn't as you expected. Your review has been shared with the rest of our staff and we will be using this to correct ourselves where need be. Although we cannot speak for the surrounding neighborhood outside of hotel property we can speak for ourselves and I wish we could have made your stay more pleasant. Your review is greatly appreciated and will help us in our continuing efforts to make our hotel better for our guests.

Thank you P4221AOtraveler for your business. Have a wonderful day.
Akron, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

The hotel was clean. The breakfast was a plus, everything was hot and fresh. The desk staff was pleasant. Only real complaint was that the pool was closed. Inquired about the pool when we checked in and was assured we could use it and towels would be available. When we went to use pool at 1:30pm it was closed and never reopened the rest of the evening.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

I apologize our pool was not available during your stay with us. Due to certain circumstances such as chemical imbalance or contaminates getting in the pool the hotel is forced to closed the pool until further notice due to safety and health laws set forth by the city of Hampton. We strive to be the best and we hope to make positive changes.

Best Regards.
Danbury, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

I had read all the bad reviews on this place prior to the trip. This was my first bad experience with a pre-paid room. I called ahead of time and was surprisingly assured by a pleasant young lady that I would have a non-smoking room. Upon arrival, I had to complain about the smokey room being offered. "Almighty Jay" took it upon himself to take the keys back to the smokey room and offer no room since I complained. This was a pre-paid room. Traveler beware!

Room Tip: Read the reviews and trust them
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Hotel1809Mercury, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Inn & Suites by Hampton Convention Center, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
Hello Moskey,

Thank you for leaving a review about your recent stay with us. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you encountered during your stay. Clarion Inn & Suites, is a 100% non-smoking facility and guests are informed of this when they check into our hotel. However, there will be the inconsiderate few that ignore the policy and smoke in our non-smoking facility causing the other guests discomfort. When our staff is made aware that a room is being smoked in or has been smoked in we take the proper steps to see to the deep cleaning and address the damage due to smoking in our non-smoking rooms. The necessity for deep cleaning and addressing damage is stated on our registration card that all guests sign at check-in and any guest that causes the necessity due to negligence, roughhousing, willful destruction, unregistered pets/damages caused by pets, and or smoking in a non-smoking room will be charged a minimum of $250.00. If the hotel was aware of any smoke damage done to the room that you were assigned too we would have addressed it before hand, taking the room out of order, so this kind of situation can be avoided. If a guest in a neighboring room was smoking I can assure you they would have been charged for the damages/deep cleaning.

Unfortunately, I cannot speak for the actions that our agent Jay showed upon your arrival and I apologize sincerely if he showed rude or inappropriate behavior. However, if a guest is unhappy with not only one aspect of the room but more than one, that is beyond the control of maintenance or a simple room change, the agent insist on a check-out which happens on very rare occassions.

Thank you for leaving your review. Have a good day, Moskey!

Been to Clarion Inn & Suites by Hampton Convention Center? Share your experiences!