“Jay at desk took the pre-paid "smokey" room keys back” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Inn & Suites by Hampton Convention Center

Save Saved
You added Clarion Inn & Suites by Hampton Convention Center to your Saves list
Clarion Inn & Suites by Hampton Convention Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1809 W Mercury Blvd, Building A, Hampton, VA 23666 (Formerly Quality Inn & Suites & Conf Cntr)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #22 of 26 hotels in Hampton
Danbury, Connecticut
“Jay at desk took the pre-paid "smokey" room keys back”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I had read all the bad reviews on this place prior to the trip. This was my first bad experience with a pre-paid room. I called ahead of time and was surprisingly assured by a pleasant young lady that I would have a non-smoking room. Upon arrival, I had to complain about the smokey room being offered. "Almighty Jay" took it upon himself to take the keys back to the smokey room and offer no room since I complained. This was a pre-paid room. Traveler beware!

Room Tip: Read the reviews and trust them
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Hotel1809Mercury, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Inn & Suites by Hampton Convention Center, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Hello Moskey,

Thank you for leaving a review about your recent stay with us. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you encountered during your stay. Clarion Inn & Suites, is a 100% non-smoking facility and guests are informed of this when they check into our hotel. However, there will be the inconsiderate few that ignore the policy and smoke in our non-smoking facility causing the other guests discomfort. When our staff is made aware that a room is being smoked in or has been smoked in we take the proper steps to see to the deep cleaning and address the damage due to smoking in our non-smoking rooms. The necessity for deep cleaning and addressing damage is stated on our registration card that all guests sign at check-in and any guest that causes the necessity due to negligence, roughhousing, willful destruction, unregistered pets/damages caused by pets, and or smoking in a non-smoking room will be charged a minimum of $250.00. If the hotel was aware of any smoke damage done to the room that you were assigned too we would have addressed it before hand, taking the room out of order, so this kind of situation can be avoided. If a guest in a neighboring room was smoking I can assure you they would have been charged for the damages/deep cleaning.

Unfortunately, I cannot speak for the actions that our agent Jay showed upon your arrival and I apologize sincerely if he showed rude or inappropriate behavior. However, if a guest is unhappy with not only one aspect of the room but more than one, that is beyond the control of maintenance or a simple room change, the agent insist on a check-out which happens on very rare occassions.

Thank you for leaving your review. Have a good day, Moskey!

8 people have reviewed this hotel

Couples
Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Elizabeth City, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My wife and I stayed here Saturday night June 7. I was greeted with a most helpful desk clerk and also received excellent service at the checkout. The staff who managed the "hot continental breakfast" were most courteous. The business Center was not open and does not have a printer but the staff printed something I needed from my Zip drive.

The location is great and everything was clean although some of the amenities were slightly dated. Good service, good value at a great location.

Room Tip: First floor rooms are very convenient to entrance and exit.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Hotel1809Mercury, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Inn & Suites by Hampton Convention Center, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Good morning! Thank you so much Myron for reviewing us on TripAdvisor!
I appreciate your feedback and we're always glad to be of service. We are working on those improvements as we speak. Hopefully, we will see changes in the near future.

It was great having you stay with us and it was a pleasure to meet you. Have a wonderful day!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Stayed here 4 nights. I felt something biting me and found two ticks on me. Room overlooking pool on 240's side is very dark.No light comes in from pool area. Breakfast was a plus as well as location.

Room Tip: Don't stay in rooms on 240 side facing pool. No daylight. Room dark.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Trotter1300,

Thank you for writing a review about your stay with us.

I want to apologize if you encountered any issues while staying with us. We advise all of our guests to inform our staff immediately of any questions, concerns, or issues so we can address the situation as quickly and effectively as possible. Your review has been shared with our management staff. We have not received any reports of bugs/insects in or around room 240 but we take issues like these very seriously and the room and surrounding rooms will be treated for such.

Thank you again for sharing with us and we hope you'll consider giving us a second chance.
Fredericksburg, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

I waited for almost 10 minutes to check in because only two gentleman working front desk. In those 10 minutes two people came back down saying their keys did not work. Well my key stopped working when I came back in for the night. The door hatch would hit every time you would open the door and actually had to put your fingers in the door to push it back so you could close the door and hope that you would be able to get back in. The restroom was very small you had to close the door in order to get in the shower or use the toilet. The bed was very hard and uncomfortable. The hotel may be called "Clarion Inn" but it is still looks like a dingy quality inn!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Hotel1809Mercury, Sales & Guest Services Manager at Clarion Inn & Suites by Hampton Convention Center, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Dear Jane R,

I would like to apologize for any inconvenience you may have encountered while staying with Clarion Inn & Suites. Our check-in process should take between 3-5 minutes depending on the situation. However, there will be rare occasions where a check-in can take longer than expected due to a variety of reasons such as a guest being under the age of 21 or an insufficent method of payment. The keycards have a magnetic stripe that can be disturbed by cellphones, car keys, or even static electricity which interferes with the reader in the door lock making the door unable to unlock itself. We advise and appreciate when our guests do inform our staff of any questions, concerns, or issues so we can address these issues when they happen. Our property is currently looking into making improvements so we can better meet our guests wants and needs.

Thank you Jane R for taking the time to share your experience with us and thank you for choosing to stay at Clarion Inn & Suites for your recent visit to Hampton, VA.
Garden City Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

Everything was good up to when I found a tick on the back of my leg. Manager said there was not anything he could do. If you stay here, bring some tick, and flea killer to spray in the room.. also, the television is out of date, BIG BACK, so the he channels look terrible.. leg on my couch is broken, but they are still using it, clock does not show the time.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Hotel1809Mercury, Front Office Manager at Clarion Inn & Suites by Hampton Convention Center, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Dear HotelPicPolice,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review regarding your recent stay with us. I would like to apologize for failing to meet your expectations. Our hotel has not had any problems with ticks, it is possible the tick may have come from outside of the hotel. Our hotel is treated by Orkin on a regular basis and all rooms that have had pets are treated after check-out with a thorough deep-clean.

Our hotel is currently looking for ways to make improvements and with all our guests feedback we will certainly make improvements that will better accommodate our guests.

Thank you, and have a wonderful day!
Richmond, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

I have to agree with the below review. We stayed here without reading the reviews.The biggest complaints that I had with the room was the cheesy decor, big bumpy old age television, pathetic furniture and the smokey stench like someone was smoking in the room. The beds were also extremely hard to sleep on. I walk into the bathroom, shut the door, and notice something on the floor over by the wall. I walk over to the spot and realize that there were two dead bugs!! Thank God, we only stayed there for a few hours than left because we could not sleep. I can't warn people enough to stay away from this place. It looks nice on the outside but don't let it fool you.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Thank you Brenda W for taking the time to review our property. On behalf of our entire staff, I would like to sincerely apologize that we failed to meet your expectations. Your review will definitely help in addressing the areas that need improvement.

Thank you again Brenda W, have a wonderful day!
Warrenton, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

Where do I start? The hotel is old and run down on the outside and inside. I chose the hotel because they were NOT on bedbugregistry.com They first tried to put me by the elevator. I inspected the room for bedbugs, and found no evidence, but did not want to hear the elevator all night. Asked for another room. Key would not work. Got staff to room, opened it, and saw a HUGE, at least 3" long dead cockroach on the bathroom floor. Immediately asked for and received a refund. The staff was helpful and accommodating ..... but the hotel is very sorry.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!!!!!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Thank you Kathi E for sharing your review.

I would like to apologize for the incidents you encountered during your brief visit. I'm glad to hear that our staff was able to help you. I appreciate you giving the time to submit your honest feedback with us.

Been to Clarion Inn & Suites by Hampton Convention Center? Share your experiences!