“Honest Review of Lowry's from a newbie to Purcellville” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Purcellville, Virginia
“Honest Review of Lowry's from a newbie to Purcellville”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I moved to P-ville in July 2012 and have since tried Lowry's 3 or 4 times. I personally find their seafood to be really top notch, with the Fried Shrimp being my personal favorite. Every person I've taken there seems to all think it is a gem of a resturant in Hamilton (of all places).

If I had any criticisms (or recommendations for improvement):
• They have ketchup tubes of cocktail sauce on each table, which is convenient. The sauce is not very good and the consistency is worse. I now bring a bottle of my own cocktail sauce.
• If you ask for lemons they will give you the thinnest slivers of lemon that wouldn't even work for iced tea. Going to start bringing my own lemons
• Their hush-puppies are billed as being spoon-dropped, but they are obviously frozen, made elsewhere, and not good at all. The only side dish I've found that was good were waffle fries and cole slaw.

Bottom line: seafood here is very, very fresh and expertly prepared. It is a hidden gem of a restaurant if you live nearby. I personally love going there despite their minor eccentricities (LOL, I'm the one bringing coctail sauce and lemons and I'm calling them eccentric).

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Hamilton, Virginia
“Great Local Seafood”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

We love this place. We have been to Lowrys probably over 50 times since they opened. Even though there is no other place around that does what they do it is still a good experience with good food. Every year they have been open they have improved the menu and service.Plus it is locally owned and operated. What could be better.

Visited September 2012
Leesburg, Virginia
“Going downhill”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

My rating is actually a 2.5. We have been to Lowry's quite a few times over the years but I would have to say that the quality and value of the seafood has been steadily on the decline. The crab was way over-priced for what we got. My daughter and I split a crab dinner for two and my husband order the soft-shelled crab. $100 was too steep for dinner for three (no appetizers, alcoholic beverages or dessert). We left feeling content but not full.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Leesburg, Virginia
“Very disappointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Went her with my family on a Sunday afternoon and found several items were not available as they ran out of food. Their steamer was broken so they could not steam crabs. Lowry's is known for its' fried chicken so I ordered all white meat and received a drum stick and a thigh (no white meat or breast). For my 4 year old the PB&J was served on stale white bread. Overall a disaster. Seems like folks in the kitchen and the owners did not care what was coming out of the kitchen. Too bad as I have eaten here in the past and had okay service and quality. This place is over-rated.

Visited July 2012
Purcellville, Virginia
“The BEST crab dip ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

It's such a great place to sit outside and have a few beers with dinner. The expanded menu offers a lot of variety. My kids love the fried chicken.

Visited June 2012