“Great place to stay with a friendly staff” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Grundy
Pigeon Forge, Tennessee
“Great place to stay with a friendly staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

Spent 5 days in Grundy with 4 in a suite. The staff was first class from check in till the time we left. The lady that prepared breakfast was always pleasant and would go out of her way for us. Room was very comfortable and always clean. Will stay again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
gmva079, General Manager at Comfort Inn Grundy, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Dear Tiger,

276-935-5050

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Naperville, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

I do realize Grundy, VA is not on the beaten path, but this hotel is truly top notch in my book. From checkin to checkout everyone treated me as a special person. The room was nice sized and very well appointed. The bed was quite comfortable and the air conditioner worked as expected. Everything in the room was clean and worked. Internet was nice and fast.

About the only issue is finding the place. I do not feel it's the hotels fault, but the road through town was recently rebuilt and the Comfort Inn is no longer on the main drag. The town put a sign up where to turn when coming into town from the north but it points to the wrong road. GPS was not much help because it didn't have the updated information. I did find the place after a bit but was surprised the town would put up a wrong place for the turn sign.

Also not many places to eat nearby, and what is there is limited in scope.

A fine stay other than that.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
gmva079, General Manager at Comfort Inn Grundy, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear CZfan17,

Thank you for taking the time to complete our online survey regarding your recent stay at our hotel. We are working with the State VDOT to fix the signs and they are very slow at doing so .

Pulaski, Va.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

I stayed at this hotel in Grundy for a one day business trip. I have no complaints whatsoever. The young woman at the front desk was helpful and friendly, my room was large and spotless, and the bathroom was surprisingly large. The internet was extremely fast and easy to access. The TV offered your typical cable fare. The breakfast was quite good and was ready at 6 am.
Dining options are limited in Grundy, but a Huddle House and a pizza place are immediately adjacent to the hotel.
The hotel is on business 460 just below the new road which will be four lanes. It was actually very quiet.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
gmva079, General Manager at Comfort Inn Grundy, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Dear Lee,

Kind Regards,

Potomac, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

I have a rule of thumb, which is that I've never stayed in a Triple-A three diamond hotel/motel that hasn't been at least pretty good. This one was my first exception, especially disappointed because of the great Trip Advisor reviews.

I should note that I'm more of a Marriott/Sheraton/Hilton or above traveler than a comfort inn guy, so you could keep that in mind. But this was the best choice in Grundy. I inadvertently booked a smoking room, and the motel was full so they couldn't move me. Okay, my fault. But the whole smoking floor, not just the rooms, reeks of smoke. And the windows in the smoking rooms don't open (don't know about the other windows). Really? In the beautiful mountains with clean air, stuck in a smoking room and you can't open the windows (and what if you smoke and want to open the windows).

The room itself was on the small side, and seemed dingy. Old bedding, some dead bugs on the floor (it's the country, but still). Nor were the beds themselves terribly comfortable. Not an impressive room, not for 3 diamond place with great TA reviews. (Maybe some of the other rooms are nicer).

We had the heat on at night, and when I turned it up higher, it started emitting an awful smell, had to turn it off. Neither the night clerk nor when I checked out the day clerks seemed interested. This was NOT, as they contended, simply the "first time you turn the heater on for the season" smell. It was much worse than that, lasted longer, and made my wife and I feel a bit neauseous. Oh, and guess what, the window of course still didn't open, so we had to leave the door to our room open in the middle of the night for an hour and a half until the smell dissipated.

The lobby is okay, though it smells heavily of air freshener. The other guests are almost all construction workers working on nearby road projects. One of the desk clerks told us that Walmart is in walking distance which is true. What she didn't tell us is that it would be suicidal to walk there at night with no sidewalks, which fortunately we figured out by ourselves.

Anyway, if I had been expected a one-diamond barely adequate hotel, the best one can do in a small town, I wouldn't have been disappointed. But don't be fooled by the reviews.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
garyDLIvp, VP of Operations at Comfort Inn Grundy, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
I'm sorry to see we did not live up to your expectations and to the level of service we pride ourselves in providing our guests.
The Comfort Inn is the newest and most popular hotel in Grundy. We cater to the local community as well as the various coal mining, forestry service, transportation, and construction industries in the area.
I am sorry you were expecting a larger hotel and feel it is fair to compare us to them, but we are a marvelous fit for the community and offer friendly, personal service that you won't find in other hotels.
We do offer a complete floor of smoking rooms to suite our guest's needs and I am sorry that was the only room available at the time of your reservation. Our rooms are not a comparison of a Marriott/Sheraton/Hilton as you say you normally visit, but we do offer our guests a clean, comfortable, and friendly stay. We have many guests that stay with us on a weekly basis and have become a part of our family.
The Walmart is within walking distance and there is a sidewalk that will take you all the way to the store, however the sidewalk in located on the opposite side of the street from the hotel. I'm sorry if this wasn't explained to you.
I do hope you will visit us again so we can show our true guests experience of a small town, friendly hotel.
Gary Purvis
VP of Operations
Dominion Lodging, Inc.
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

The staff couldn't have been more accommodating to us while we stayed for a medical mission trip nearby. We got the last room and they reassigned us last minute because we requested non smoking room. They also moved in a microwave and fridge which wasn't there initially. The breakfast was BY FAR the best breakfast in any comparable place. We swore the lady running the place snuck in real eggs and butter instead of the prefab liquid eggs. At any rate they were great. And they opened much earlier to accommodate the group. Talk about Southern Hospitality! We were impressed.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
gmva079, Manager at Comfort Inn Grundy, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
On behalf of our hotel staff ,I want to let you how delighted we were to receive your kind words of praise about our southern hospitality which we take pride in. Day or night good service depends upon people willing to give thier very best at all times. That's why it's truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our staff's efforts and takes the time to say thank you.

Again,let me thank you for your kind words. We're committed to total guest satisfaction,and we look forward to your next visit.

Sincerely, Rosemary Carter
Alexandria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Upon arrival, the front desk person, Courtney was so welcoming and accommodating. We had been riding our motorcycle all day in the mountains and was exhausted. She was very efficient and followed up with us a half an hour later to make sure everything was satisfactory. The next morning at breakfast, Lora was very concerned that our meal was perfect. Kudos to those ladies!! Definitely would recommend Comfort Inn in Grundy, VA,

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
gmva079, General Manager at Comfort Inn Grundy, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Thank you for your kind words about our staff and our clean rooms . We take pride in our work and we truly love our guest. The next time you take a road trip stop by your bed is waiting and we love to see our guest again.

Sincerely
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

This is a good, basic hotel and as far as I could see the only decent choice in Grundy. Thus, my "very good" rating is relative to the area. I stayed for one night as a solo traveler. My room was spacious and clean; the bed was comfortable. Staff was friendly and the complimentary breakfast was better than I expected. I do feel it is expensive for what it is, but again there isn't much competition in the area. I would stay here if I ever found myself in Grundy again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Been to Comfort Inn Grundy? Share your experiences!