“Classic French food” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
LAuberge Chez Francois is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 27 Restaurants in Great Falls
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: French, Seafood, Dessert
Good for: Entertaining clients, Romantic, Special occasions, Doing business, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Beach Mill Road
Description: Travellers in the beautiful Alsatian countryside, seek out "auberge", the little family inns that dot the roadsides, to eat well and enjoy the scenery. They know they will find fine food and glowing spirits, at an excellent value. Welcome to L"Auberge Chez Francois, our French country inn a short distance from the nation's capital, nestled among lush woods and fragrant gardens, that has captivated visitors for over 50 years. L'Auberge Chez Francois is the ideal spot to celebrate special moments, private parties,luncheons, weddings and cooking demonstrations. Our menu is extensive and full of the flavors of Alsace and traditional French cuisine. Excellent food and service, attention to detail and a casually elegant atmosphere are hallmarks that have made L'Auberge Chez Francois a Washington favorite. We sincerely hope that you will enjoy your visit with us. Jacques Brasserie at L'Auberge is open Tues-Sat,5-9:00PM,Sunday 3-7:30PM. Reservations for Jacques' Brasserie via phone only!
Oakland, California
“Classic French food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

There seem to be a few mixed reviews of late, but our recent visit to this old-style (think early Julia Child French--it started in 1954 and looks as if the decor hasn't changed since) institution out in the woods in Great Falls went just fine. The dinner selections are multi-course inclusive, and there's great garlic bread and extras accompanying. We tried a range of main dishes, from steak, chicken to the characteristic Alsatian platter (the German touch of this regional cuisine) and all were very good. The wine selection was fine; the desserts fantastic. The service was both personable and correct. The only caution I'd offer is to not eat for the better part of the day, as the meals can be huge and this is not a modern, lighter take on French cuisine. Not sure why someone would quibble with a lovely multi-course meal in this setting, including wine, going over $100/ person (been to a city restaurant lately?) but this is still a great option for a memorable family outing.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Boston
“Simply the Best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

This diamond of a restaurant doesn't really need another 5-star review, but we've been devoted patrons since Francois migrated west from D.C. in 1976, and I'm honor bound to provide this "review d'amour." We left Washington for Boston 27 years ago, but return to Virginia annually, and an evening at L'Auberge Chez Francois is simply de rigueur. We're privileged to travel nowadays and though admittedly partial to French cuisine, L'Auberge remains my favorite restaurant - anywhere. Wonderful food, unsurpassed ambiance, terrific hospitality and fresh greens from their own garden (viewed through the window as the sun sets) - it's all perfect. When in Paris, La Tour d'Argent - but when in Washington, make the drive to Great Falls for an unforgettable evening!

College Park MD
“Perfect Sunday Brunch--Best meal, best service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

My 2 friends and I celebrated a birthday at l'Auberge today, and it was a perfect meal. Our waiter and his staff were kind, relaxed and attentive. We opted to eat in their beautiful spacious garden despite the threatening weather. When a light rain began shortly after our sparkling wine arrived, the staff were unfazed, and therefore so were we. The large cherry tree served as an umbrella, and the cool breeze was welcome as the thermometer registered in the high 80s.
The prix fixe brunch was ample and exquisitely prepared, the first plates perfectly complementing the entres. I had rainbow trout with almond garnish, my friends had mahi mahi and boeuf bourguignon, all prepared as if we were personal friends of the chef. Generally I am minimally impressed with restaurant food, and I find my words are totally inadequate to express the pleasure of this experience.

• Visited June 2013
Upperville, VA USA
“A slice of Alsace near the Potomac River”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

This was our first visit and the food and service were amazing.

We were guests of friends for a special evening and no one was disappointed (party of six). This restaurant moves to the very top of our list for fine dining in all of Virginia.

The Chateaubriand was wonderful and everyone was extremely satisfied with their meals and service.

Do not be deterred by the pricing on the menu as most courses are included in the price.

Annapolis, Maryland
“Can I Give L’Auberge a “6”?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

For years, friends have been singing the praises of L’Auberge Chez François in Great Falls. Now I know why, and I’m kicking myself for not going sooner.

Bottom line: Superb food, exquisite service, and wonderful atmosphere/décor.

Now the details. We received crisp, professional, friendly service from the moment we walked in the door, and it continued non-stop until we left two and a half hours later. We worked through the meal at a leisurely pace, with no sense of being rushed or hustled.

The food is largely derived from the Alsatian region on the border between France and Germany, so you’ll find German influences in the cooking of what is often described as the best French restaurant in the DC metro area. I was a case in point, opting for the Choucroute Royale Garnie, a variety of sausages, duck and, in this haute cuisine version, seared foie gras on a bed of sauerkraut. A classic Alsatian dish. My wife opted for the Entrecote aux Cinq Poivres, a tender and tasty strip steak coated with crushed peppercorns.

The menu here is quasi-prix fixe. Pick your entrée, as a given price (they’re all in the $75 plus/minus range), then add on your choice of soup or appetizer, choice of salad, and dessert. And don’t forget the <I>Amuse Bouche</I> at the beginning of the meal, and the made-in-house lime sorbet as a palate cleanser before the main course arrives.

I like the way they do wines here. They proudly feature a variety of wines from Alsace, and are more than happy to keep pouring it for you, without the pressure to go for a bottle costing three figures. We started off with a glass of Alsatian Pinot Blanc before dinner, then split a bottle of Alsatian Pinot noir with the entrees.

This was an anniversary dinner, although I hadn’t mentioned it when making our reservation. Apparently, our waiter overheard us talking with another couple, also celebrating an anniversary, and brought us a special dessert to share before our regular desserts arrived. Talk about attention to detail!

L’Auberge Chez François isn’t cheap (nearly $300 for two when I tacked on a healthy tip), but it’s definitely worthy of more frequent visits.