“SAFETY ISSUE - You might want to read this before going. DON'T TAKE YOUR FAMILY HERE” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Cove Camp Ground

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gore
The Cove Camp Ground
You added The Cove Camp Ground to your Saves list
980 Cove Road, Gore, VA 22637   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Specialty Lodging in Gore
Mechanicsville, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I went out there to camp with some friends - the area seems like it's beautiful and I heard it has some nice trails. However, I got there at 7pm, and had to change plans and leave by 9pm.

The camping area was full of hammered people, and someone FIRED A GUN INTO THE AIR at 8pm from a nearby campsite. A short time later, someone from a different campsite FIRED A GUN 3 TIMES into the air. I immediately called the campground host to report it, and they said their security person was off somewhere else, but they would come down there "soon". I was feeling really uncomfortable about getting hit by a stray bullet, so I was preparing to leave. This was NOT gunshots from the shooting range - it was nighttime, and the shooting range had already closed, and we could tell the gunshots were from nearby campers (the first incident was the people camping next to us, about 75 yards away).

In the meantime, at the campsite next to us, a girl who was wasted was repeatedly getting in her jeep and driving on the nearby off road trails. She flipped her jeep not far from a campsite where there were 30-40 people camping, on the main road (not even on an off road trail, that's how reckless she was driving). She had a head injury and was bleeding a lot and had to have an ambulance come. She could have easily run over people in their tents.

So, between stray bullets and drunk driving, I decided I couldn't risk my life to spend the night there. I went back to the main office on my way out to get my $16 back (pretty expensive to begin with!), and the woman was extremely rude and mean to me and refused to give me a refund. She didn't seem appropriately concerned about the gunshots, and she seemed more annoyed than concerned that someone had gotten in a car accident. I argued with her for about 10 minutes and she couldn't understand why I would possibly want a refund and even started yelling at me (I was not yelling at her). I had only been there for 2 hours. She offered me the chance to move to another campground. I asked her why would I want to move to another campground, when people are shooting guns in the air and driving around drunk. She said that the campground she would move me to was nowhere near where they were shooting guns. Solid response.

I also asked why they hadn't gone back there to respond to my report of the gunshots, a guy who worked there said they were waiting for the police to come. It had been an hour at that point and no staff had done anything about it. I called the local police department the next day about this, and they said that no one had ever called them and they were completely unaware of the situation. They couldn't do anything about it since it was the next day. Since I was lied to, this situation was not able to be properly dealt with by the police.

There is no way I would ever come back to this campground and I think others should know about my experience before they consider going. Bad customer service is one thing; insufficiently responding to incidents where people could have been killed is another.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Couples
Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Ellicott City, MD
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

My husband and I spent 4 nights at this campground in our small trailer. We chose it because it has 30 miles of trails for dirt bikes, ATV's and jeeps. Trails were great! The campground is very secluded, the lakes are beautiful, and overall it is a lovely setting.

This campground is best suited for dry camping. Although this is a HUGE campground with LOTS of beautiful wooded sites, there are only a few sites with water and electric and they are in the sun.
The sites are large and with nice fire rings. However, the restrooms are dirty and despite our request to refill, they were without toilet paper. There is only one shower facility and it was gross. There is no camp store or snack bar. There is one dump station that does not meet normal RV
standards. Luckily, our trailer was small enough to back in next to it, but it was a challenge.

This campground has the potential to be so much more with just a small amount of TLC from the owner. We were charged $40 night and for that amount, we were expecting at least clean toilets, latches on the toilet stalls, sinks in the bathrooms, and a hose to use at the dump site. We are glad we went, especially for the trails, but we probably will not return there with an RV. If you are dry camping and don't need to use their facilities, this is an excellent place to enjoy nature.

• Stayed August 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We always get the site we want. The showers have hot water, my only complaint would be the lack of hooks to hang your clothes from in some of the showers and the floor floods since the shower water that falls on the floor has nowhere to go. I heard they are tightening up the firing range. I applaud them for this! My other concern is the cost to stay here. its a bit pricey compared to other campgrounds that are nearby. I highly recommend this place!

• Stayed May 2013

Been to The Cove Camp Ground? Share your experiences!