“Peter Chang's Delivers” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Reston, Virginia
“Peter Chang's Delivers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

I had heard about Peter Chang's great food but had never had a chance to enjoy it. We really like Chinese cuisine and particularly Szechuan and have eaten in top Chinese restaurants in Washington, New York, San Francisco, Hong Kong, and Beijing. On a recent trip through Richmond to Orange we decided to stop by on a Sunday evening for an early dinner at Peter Chang's. The restaurant is in a strip mall in the Short Pump area just off I-64 west of Richmond. We arrived at the restaurant about 5:30. It was not crowded at that time and we had no problem getting a table. the restaurant is one large room with an informal decor but pleasant.The menu was extensive and listed a number of great sounding dishes-it was difficult to make a choice. Our server, Rachel (I believe) was very knowledgeable and helpful in describing the dishes and how they were prepared and making recommendations. She also made a point of asking what level of spice we liked in our food. One surprise was that we would normally have ordered an appetizer to share and two entrees, Rachel frankly told us that the portions were large and that an appetizer and one entree would be more than sufficient for two people. She was absolutely right. As for the food we had dry fried eggplant as an appetizer and the house special fish fillet which was flounder with broccoli, mushrooms, Napa cabbage and carrot. The food was wonderful. The eggplant appetizer was crisp with a wonderful taste of eggplant as you bit into it followed by a touch of Szechuan heat in the after taste. The fish was excellent, perfectly cooked and well complemented by the vegetables in the dish. Rachel had suggested a spice level of 1 for us but I think we could have gone at least one level higher but we understood her note of caution on that score. In summary, this was absolutely one of the best Chinese meals we have ever had with very helpful, prompt and attentive service. For the quality of the food it was also a great value. We will certainly return whenever we are in the Richmond area and look forward to trying the Charlottesville and Fredricksburg branches. We just that there was a branch in Northern Virginia!

• 5 of 5 stars Food

Chestertown, Maryland
“Tad over-rated but good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

Key to get reservations as this place stays packed. They do move them thru, though. Staff was pleasant, and service seemed quick. Spices used in several dishes were definitely a step above standard Chinese fare. I had a 1 pepper level of spice and it rocked me pretty good. Did feel that 1/2 the dishes here were "spicy" and above, leaving less for kids and elders and less spice-oriented customers. Best dishes were the mushrooms and bok choi, and the chicken and scallions. The rotating dumbwaiter in the table's center was convenient. Made for a fun night but not a "must go again" any time soon

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Atlanta, Georgia
“The real deal Chinese from the best chef”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

Peter constantly amazes the palate. As Atlantans, we followed Peter religiously until he moved to Glen Allen to spoil the good folks of Richmond. How lucky they are. Must try ant duck, fish, or lamb dish. Portions are large so the more eaters at your table the better variety. Go soon.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Groveland
“Worth going once to say you did”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

I caught a travel show that featured this restaurant and since we were staying in the area for a few days decided to check it out. I heard it got very busy so we arrived shortly after 11:00 and were seated immediately with only one other table occupied. There are a LOT of items to choose from, some on the pricey side but they also have a pretty extensive lunch special menu with items in the $8-10 range, including soup and spring rolls so we went that route. The egg drop soup was very good and the fried wontons that accompanied it were fresh. The rolls, although small, were also good. I wanted something spicy so ordered the double cooked pork; my wife is not a fan of spicy foods so she ordered the chicken with mushrooms and snow peas. I was a little surprised that the pork in my dish was actually pork belly, or thick bacon chunks, along with peppers and scallions. The dish had a nice amount of heat but also an oily, greasy consistency that was a bit overwhelming. My wife's dish on the other hand was light but also devoid of any seasoning or flavor. The restaurant filled rapidly as we ate, with several large groups piling in; so much so that by the time we tried to leave there was a large crowd of people blocking the small entranceway that we had to jostle through. All in all, I'm glad we went but probably won't return; it's not like they need our business anyway.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Huntsville
“Packed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

I came here with a meetup group. When I arrived around 7pm on a Friday night, there were about 10-15 waiting for tables. We ordered:
1) Scallion bubble pancake - a favorite of the locals, decent
2) Crispy pork belly - tasty and interesting mixture of texture
3) Golden mountain chicken - haven't had this before and delightfully appealing
4) Kung pao chicken - tasted fresh and refreshing
5) Some lamp dish - didn't try because I don't like lamb
6) Eggplant with spicy garlic sauce - different than what I am used to. This is prepared by cutting the eggplant in strips instead of cutting the eggplant in cross section at an angle. This only has eggplant and sauce instead of other usual ingredients. I am more used to the Cantonese style dishes.
Overall, it is a great experience with the staff periodically tending us with the restaurant being full. The dishes started coming out in about 7 minutes. I like how fast the dishes coming out when the restaurant is packed.

• Visited January 2014