“Needs a serious refresh” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #15 of 22 hotels in Glen Allen
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Needs a serious refresh”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

Stated at this hotel many times over several years and employees are consistently very friendly and helpful. However the property itself is seriously dated. It is like a retro trip to the '90s in the rooms. Until they update the property best idea is to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2013

116 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Baltimore, MD
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

I have stayed at this property 4 or 5 times over the past few years while travelling on business, including one night this week. I travel a good deal and usually stay in Courtyards or full service Marriott hotels. I have always considered this hotel to be just OK, with its positive qualities just barely making up its shortcomings. My opinion changed with my stay this week and I am unlikely to return.

First, let me point out the positive attributes of this property. It is in a pleasant and quiet setting, located in the Innsbrook complex with nice areas to walk or jog. The front desk staff are very pleasant and professional. And it is a full service Marriott with a nice concierge lounge.

The most obvious issue with the property is how dated the rooms have become...despite the fact that they have installed flat panel TVs and new plumbing fixtures. The window of time to replace the furniture, carpets, wallpaper, etc. has long passed. I typically don't care very much about these things as long as the room is well appointed and clean (more on that in a moment). However, every room I have been in has wallpaper that is peeling badly at the seems. If you had this wallpaper in your house, you would be embarrassed to have guests see it. I would think there is a way to at least repair it so that it is not so obvious...but that has not been done. From my viewpoint, it would seem that the management does not care.

The other item that desperately needs updating is the heating and a/c systems in the rooms. There is no digital display and no way to specify a temperature...there is just a slide bar that you move between "warm" and "cool". If it worked OK, I would be fine with it. It does not. Your choices are basically "freezing cold", "hot", or "off". And both rooms I entered were set to the maximum cold setting...making the rooms freezing cold (my guess is 62 degrees. Why would you do that to your guests? When I tried to adjust it so that the a/c would turn off and just ambient temperature air would blow the heat actually kicked on. I then adjusted it slightly so that the heat would turn off...and then the a/c kicked back on. This happened in both rooms. And the windows do not open, so there is no chance of just living with fresh air.

The biggest issue for me on this trip was with housekeeping. The first room I entered had that industrial cleaning/air freshener smell that you get sometimes in hotel rooms. Only this time it was on steroids (sorry A-Rod)...they must have been trying to cover up something that stunk pretty bad. After 45 minutes in the room my sense of smell had not adjusted and it still stunk like chemicals...to the point that I actually developed a headache (that has never happened to me before from a odor).

I called the front desk and asked for another room and they handled it very well. They sent up a bellman with the set of keys for another room on the same floor. When I got to the new room it smelled very musty and damp..,.sort of like a mildew smell. Since the room was around 62 degrees, I suspect that the a/c system may have been pumping way too much humidity into the air. When I sat at the desk, the upholstered chair felt cold and damp. I then detected a smell that was rather unpleasant...I actually think it was urine. I then noticed that the leg of the desk was coated with some type of off-white residue and clearly hadn't been cleaned in forever. I wasn't doing a white glove test...I was just chatting on the phone and looked down and it was very obvious. Clearly someone in housekeeping has seen this and decided to ignore it.

I chose to stay in this room because I did not feel like moving again...but it was easily the most unpleasant Marriott room I have been in for quite some time.

Later the next morning I was working in my room when I started hearing a female housekeeper knocking on doors and announcing herself. Fortunately, I had arranged a late check-out with the front desk and had the "Do Not Disturb" sign on my door...so I would not be disturbed. Wrong. The housekeeper did not hesitate to knock loudly and announce herself anyway. I told her I would be checking out a little later and she nicely went away. If I had been up late the night before and still sleeping I would have been quite PO'd.

The bottom line is that this property falls far short of the standards that you would expect from a full service Marriott. Marriott should either address the issues quickly or sever its ties with the property.

Room Tip: Inspect your room thoroughly before you unpack to that you can easily move to another room if necess...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
McLean, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Went for a 2 day business trip. It is NW of the city in the middle of a corporate park in the suburbs. Just fine for a short trip. Didn't wow me but wasn't run down or any huge issues. The staff is super friendly, rooms just fine and free parking. Small things to note on my trip:

- Room service needs tweaking- 2 times ordered- one time with eggshells still partially on the egg in my salad and 2nd time breakfast came up with toast and no side of butter/jam
- Had to cancel day two and reset reservations while there and they didn't tell me I would need new keys for the same room so when I came back to room after a 16 hr work event at 11:00pm at night, I went all the way up to the room and keys didn't work. Came back down and they re-keyed and went into the elevator and the keys didn't work. Had to go back to the front desk for 3rd set of keys.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Herndon, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Upon checking into the Richmond Marriott West hotel, I was greeted with lots and lots of smiles. From the hotel porter to the front desk staff. All smiles. The staff was very friendly, professional, and assistsed me in everyway during my stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Avon, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Off of the main road and highways but walking distance to some great dining choices. Very convenient location. Staff was very polite. I was impressed that the hotel had security on to make sure that some groups were quiet at a reasonable hour on a Saturday night.

Room Tip: The hotel is in an office park and quiet on all sides.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Brunswick, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

The property is nice overall. I was there for a two day meeting and service was good as was the meeting space. My room was generally nice and clean but the wallpaper was separating at the seams and coming off the wall quite noticeably. The staff seemed friendly and helpful.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I just spent 2 weeks here for work. The location is great, plenty around to do, and lots of restaurants. Just Across Dominion Rd is a nice office park with a great walking path. The hotel staff was very pleasant and the staff in the concierge lounge was exceptional...very nice and friendly. I would stay here again on my next visit.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to Richmond Marriott West? Share your experiences!