“new, swanky, but prefer hyatt place” 4 of 5 stars

aloft Richmond West
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3939 Duckling Drive, Glen Allen, VA 23060   |
Ranked #16 of 22 Hotels in Glen Allen
Richmond, Virginia
“new, swanky, but prefer hyatt place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

Not really my style, but a nice, new, modern place. If you like being in the heart of shopping, without amenities like pool, massage parlor, and room service, it's fine. Short stay was a couple of days, wasn't impressed, for the same money you get more out of the hyatt place, just avoid the one in Innsbrook, horrid condition for a Hyatt Place, try the one by the Airport (new) or the one in Southside is better run. But overall, the A loft is for younger folk that don't care about space and would rather have "bling" of a room, though it's about the size of a 24' X 24' room in total.....not impressed.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
gmaloft, General Manager at aloft Richmond West, responded to this review, January 23, 2012
Thank you for your review and for your patronage. I am sorry to hear that we were not your particular cup of tea. While we understand that we can't be all things to all travelers, it is still our goal to ensure that each of our guests enjoys their time with us. I hope that, in spite of the mis-match of travel styles, you were still able to enjoy your time in Richmond.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012 via mobile

If you enjoy a frat house experience, aloft is the place for you! I hope to check out

• Stayed January 2012
gmaloft, General Manager at aloft Richmond West, responded to this review, January 17, 2012
I am saddened to hear that you did not enjoy your time with us. We strive to ensure that each guest has an outstanding experience. If there is anything I can do to help you feel better about your stay, do not hesitate to contact my office.
Orlando, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

If you are on business or with a family, stay away. This hotel advertises and promotes the homosexual lifestyle. There are several brochures at the front desk promoting gay clubs and meeting times at the Aloft. The night I stayed there was a very large group in the lobby but none of them were staying at the hotel. Caution: the front desk personnel are unprofessional and cannot handle any problem you have during your stay.
Guest rooms are all the same and is similar to living in a dorm room. Pillows are awful and water pressure is non-existent.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
I am disappointed to hear that you did not find Aloft to your liking and did not enjoy your time here. We work very hard to provide a unique experience for each of our guests and it seems we fell short on this occasion.

I apologize if you found any of our marketing collateral to be offensive. I assure you that this is not our intention. The brochure you mentioned in your review is not a guide to alternative lifestyle bars and rendezvous points. It is a map of downtown Richmond featuring restaurants, shopping, attractions, museums, parks, and galleries. The map is offered to our guests free of charge by the Richmond LGBTG Tourism alliance and, as such, it does bear the logo of GayRVA. However, the information within is of a general tourism nature and many of our guests find it to be a fantastic resource for all the best Richmond has to offer.

I assure you that the Aloft is dedicated to serving our entire community and we go out of our way to provide a welcoming home away from home to each and every traveler that we host. The only lifestyle we promote is the travel-life. Our goal is to provide a comfortable and exciting home base that helps each guest make their travel experience the best it can be.
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

I spent a work week at the Aloft in October. It' a unique property with it's minimalist decor and trendy atmosphere. Specific problems I had were the very limited closet hanging space and the lack of effective soundproofing in the walls. One night I could literally hear every word of a couple's argument in he next room (she was right, BTW). On a positive note, there are several very good restaurants close by as well as a quality grocery store.

I imagine the Aloft is popular with younger guests.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
gmaloft, General Manager at aloft Richmond West, responded to this review, January 16, 2012
Greetings!

Thank you for your review. I'm sorry to hear that your neighbors disturbed you. We strive to ensure that each guest has an excellent experience at Aloft. I'm saddened to hear that we fell short in this area. I am glad to hear that you got the vibe of the hotel and enjoyed the surrounding area. I hope we can host you again some time.
Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

We (2 adults/1 child) stayed here for a short night. It was our first stay in an Aloft. Overall, it was OK. It's a different concept - trying to be very European. The staff was very nice and the room was fine except I found the bed to be lacking. Both my wife and I woke up with stiff backs due to the mattress. The bathroom was nice and my daughter loved the shower (walk in with large shower head). It's a Starwood Category 2 which sounds about right to me. All in all , fine but could be very nice with better beds.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
gmaloft, General Manager at aloft Richmond West, responded to this review, January 11, 2012
Thanks for staying with us. I'm glad to hear that you liked our hotel overall. I'm sorry that you found the beds lacking. I know that a restful sleep is a priority when picking a hotel and I regret that you didn't get that. Mattress tastes are a very individual thing and, though most guests find the beds suitable, there are those for whom the beds simply don't meet their needs. I'm saddened to hear that you are one of these guests. It sounds like, excepting this one area, Aloft hotels would be a perfect home on the road for you.
Richmond, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

What A Weird Place Staff where pleasant but very unknowlagable.Rooms where so small kinda Creepy.Like a bad Dream from the Future.Would not reccomend staying there we found a place 1 mile down road Hotel Sierra little more money but much much nicer.We travel a lot so we feel we know good places this is not one we immediately brought are keys back could not imagine sleeping there checked out (with refund) and went to Hotel Sierra and were very pleased.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
gmaloft, General Manager at aloft Richmond West, responded to this review, January 9, 2012
Thank you for taking time to review your stay. I'm sorry that we didn't meet your expectations. Certainly the Aloft brand is unique in the industry and has a very different vision of travel from your ordinary hotel. While some guest find this refreshing and exciting there are certainly other guests who find that we don't meet their travel needs. I appreciate you giving us a look and I'm glad you were able to find a property that fit your needs.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

We stayed one night at aloft Richmond West. I was intrigued by the new hotel concept. Not so much anymore. This particular hotel had the lobby on the 2nd floor, with a confusing elevator system and no explanatory signs posted. While attempting to create a new decor in hotels, this one recalls Ikea or Target.

The rooms are a novel design, with a great new shower design. The rest of the room is a complete miss. In the two queen version, the only guest seating is beneath the wall-mounted TV

On our particular stay, upon arising, we found a note under the door advising us that there was no hot water. Congrats to management who decided not to charge for the room that night.

Not a big fan of the design.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your patronage and your feedback. I apologize for the hot water issue. We suffered an unexpected mechanical failure on our boiler that left us without hot water until parts could be purchased and installed. I know this is no way to start your day and for that I sincerely apologize.

Been to aloft Richmond West? Share your experiences!