“Needs a little love but a good deal” 4 of 5 stars

Announcement
Join Hyatt Gold Passport®
Ranked #10 of 22 Hotels in Glen Allen
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Needs a little love but a good deal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I have stayed at a number of Hyatt Places in the last few years and I have to agree that this one has seen better days.

It is hard to find at night when you're looking from Cox Road. Look for the taller Hilton Garden Inn and its next door. Parking is adequate but the lot seems a little dark at night.

The lobby has its standard front desk, sitting areas, breakfast area/bar but it lacked the welcoming warmth of some other locations. Seemed kind of sparse.

Staff was very nice. They greeted us every time we came through.

We were on the 3rd floor and it was very quiet. Same sitting area, desk, minibar that I'm used to. Yes, the tub/toilet room is small, but I really like the outer vanity area. Love the huge TV that swivels to be watched from either room, and I like their movie options.

The floors have some uneven spots and the doors need some paint. Things just seem a little dated. I didn't use the fitness room or pool so can't speak to those. I did not notice that the Internet seemed slow.

It's in a great area overall. Broad Street (to the west) has a ton of great shopping and restaurant choices. My mom and I had a nice time at the Short Pump mall.

Overall, I think for the price it's a good deal if you don't mind things being a little worn. If you're looking for brand new, then you might want to look at another option.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Carl B, General Manager at Hyatt Place Richmond/Innsbrook, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Thank you very much for posting a review, in particular, your very kind words about the staff. I am very happy to report that the sign off of Dominion is now illuminated and there have been recent enhancements to the lighting of our building as well. I could not agree with you more that we are in a great location.

Carl Barnes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Lynchburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Stayed here for 1 night while visiting my sister in Richmond. I have no complaints whatsoever. The staff was friendly and helpful, and the room was clean and quiet. The best part was the breakfast in the morning!! Delicious full breakfast included was a great deal at $100/night including taxes!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your very kind review of the staff, the room and the complimentary hot breakfast. We are all glad you enjoyed yourself and look forward to being able to serve you in the future.

Carl Barnes
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Don't try to check in early. If you call to inquire, they tell you no rooms are ready yet - even if it's just an hour before the stated check-in time. It literally sounded like the person that answered the phone was reading from a script and didn't even check to see if anything was ready.

While the hotel is somewhat conveniently located near other things, I have to agree with an earlier poster that it's almost impossible to find. You can come in off Cox Road, but only if you know exactly what driveway you're looking for as the hotel isn't actually on Cox Road. There is no sign on Cox Road itself. If you happen to take the right driveway into the office park like area, there is one small sign, hidden behind a stop sign, that I happened to catch out of the corner of my eye as we drove right past it. My advice would be to look for the Hilton Garden Inn and then drive to the building behind it.

Moving on..... we reserved two rooms. Upon check in, one was freezing cold - the unit was set at 68, but it felt more like 60 in there. The other was uncomfortably warm. We turned off the cold air upon check-in (3pm) and the room was still cold when returning for the evening at 8pm. Tried turning on the heat, but it just continued to blow cool air for 30 minutes so finally turned that off too. Was hoping for an extra blanket in a drawer somewhere, but no such luck.

The room itself was okay, the beds seemed clean, but the bathroom had random stray hairs on the floor behind the door ... guess they didn't move the door to clean. The coffee maker was disgusting. There was some sort of brown sludge in the water reservoir that I can only imagine had to be some sort of fungus or mold. I know experienced travelers know better than to use these things but I feel sorry for anyone who actually doesn't know better.

The mattresses need to be replaced - badly. I could literally feel the "divot" on the side of the bed closest to the night stand. That side of the bed was so uncomfortably soft that I woke up with a terrible backache. It wasn't until 5am (after waking up every hour) that I realized the other side of the bed was slightly more firm and moved over there... or rather, rolled UP onto that side of the bed.

The breakfast was fine though they seemed to be unprepared for the number of people using the service. They ran out of food quickly and were slow to replenish it. At one point, I heard one of the employees telling a guest that "the rest of the bacon is frozen," so the breakfast sandwiches would only be egg and cheese from that point on. The only option other than starches (toast, waffles, cereal, doughnuts, etc) was the breakfast sandwich (on more bread) that seemed similar to an egg McMuffin - until they ran out of bacon, of course. There was also no water (???), though plenty of milk and orange juice.

All in all, it was okay for one night and I'm glad I got it on Priceline as I don't think I would have been happy paying full price for it. Although this review seems to list a lot of complaints, this is, sadly, about the norm for hotel stays now. You apparently can't expect much more from large chains anymore. At least there weren't bed bugs or random bodily fluids on the sheets.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Virginia Beach, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I have stayed in Hyatts at least two dozen over the past 33 years, and I have always had a good to excellent experience until this one last night! This one is definitely a loser! I'm wondering if the general managers laxness is showing up in dirty, unkempt places for lack of supervision of staff. When we got up this morning to make coffee, we poured coffee in the room coffee maker and noticed that the water became cloudy and discolored. Upon further inspection we found that the coffee pot was FULL of mold! In the bathroom behind the door in the corner there were several human hairs on the tile floor as well as bits and black specks of dirt from just not having been cleaned well. This same attention showed in other areas of the hotel as well. I had occasion to use the men's public rest room near the lobby, and the area around the urinal smelled as as if had not been flushed in a week! The smell was almost overpowering due to lack of cleaning. Even in something as simple as attention to the breakfast, when I went through the self-serve buffet that there were NO FORKS, just knives and spoons. I had to eat breakfast without a fork which was a bit difficult as well as uncalled for. When we checked in yesterday, there were no papers available for guest, even though they advertise that a daily newspaper is supplied (even a place on the bill to eliminate the daily paper and take a dollar off the daily bill)! The place is quite old and really needs modernizing. Even new coats would spruce up the public areas and the guest rooms. A couple of carpets had stains on them in the halls and should be thoroughly cleaned! Overall, the place is a bit rundown and shows lack of decent supervision of cleaning staff and lack of details to other things that I used to think Hyatt was noted for (but now not seems NOT to be so here in this location)! One of the double beds in the room also had a sunken place in the middle of the innerspring mattress and left me with a sore back after a night's restless sleep. I will not stay there again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Macomb, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

Suite is a bit smaller than average and the decor is dated (alot of cream and brown colors), but everything is clean and in good working order. Eclectic and extensive breakfast buffet is a great reason alone to stay here. Rooms are well-lit and have a large window; plenty of well-placed outlets for chargers. HVAC unit under window is too close to the bed for me to leave running at night. Large flat-screen TV with pay channels, a good selection of local and cable channels and multiple inputs that swivels to watch from king bed or sectional couch. Desk with lamp, mini-kitchen with wet bar, fridge and single-cup coffeemaker (no microwave, but one in the breakfast area for guests' use). No guest laundry. Outdoor pool (closed for season), no hot tub. Washstand outside bathroom, tub with shower. Diverter was stuck but I fixed it. Staff are professionaly friendly and helpful. Shops and restaurants within easy strolling distance but no continuous sidewalks on busy Cox Rd or busier Broad St, so beware if you like longer walks. I would (and plan to) stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012
middletown, Delaware
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I visited here this past weekend delighted that I was having a weekend get-away at a local quilt shop with other quilters. Sunday morning I ran the shower water only to find it was barely luke-warm. I called the desk and their response was to let it run for 30 minutes! WHO HAS 30 MINUTeS TO WASTE? I went off to my conference with the assurance that my room would have hot water. I returned at 10 pm, received HELLOs from the front desk and went up to my room.

COLD WATER! Mind you there isn't any message from the front desk so I called them. Their response----YOU CAN GO STAY SOME WHERE ELSE! Since I booked through Priceline that dollar tag of $129 would have come straight out of my pocket. Their attitude was TOO BAD and filled with excusses. That is not customer service or service I would expect from a HYATT. Supposedly their water boilers were out so why did they not have someone telling me that when I walked in Sunday night? Why did they not have someone in there fixing it 24/7? WHY DID THEY PERMIT FOLKS TO GO TO THEIR ROOM WITHOUT TELLING THEM?

And their breakfast bar is OK if you like doughnuts, muffins, cold waffles or cold eggs on a muffin. If you want a nice hot breakfast go stay elsewhere.

As one other reviewer wrote their internet is SLOW. The bathroom is SMALL so I was glad I was there by myself. I wish I had brought my own hairdryer from home cause theirs (hidden in a drawer) is very low power and has a slow fan.

Room Tip: Make sure they have hot water. Stay away from the elevator (rooms with a 14).
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Grand Cayman
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Somewhat tired and a little shabby, but hey it's $95.00 a night. 2 nights business trip do able. The good... Bedroom lounge area, work desk area, big screen HD TV, free wifi, lots of power outlets,. The bad, bathroom is very small, shower not great, towels need an upgrade, sheets and pillows although clean need an upgrade, noisy in room AC unit. Would I stay again? , probably not.

Room Tip: Avoid 2nd floor ( noisy air handlers)
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hyatt Place Richmond/Innsbrook? Share your experiences!