“New looking, old & dirty rooms” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Glen Allen
Roanoke, VA
“New looking, old & dirty rooms”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

This was a one night stay to meet our son's fiance, but I wouldn't stay here again. I'm glad I brought flip flops - carpet feels damp to my bare feet, probably having been "refreshed" so much. The bathroom tiles feel sticky, so flip flops in there too. There's a stain on the wall beside the bed as if a cola drink had been sloshed. The only positive is the location - within a stone's throw of Short Pump shopping.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Comfort Suites I, General Manager at Comfort Suites Innsbrook, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Thank you very much for your helpful feedback in regards to your last stay with us. I have spoken with the housekeeping staff and implemented some new inspection procedures in regards to cleaning. We are also currently painting all of the rooms in the hotel and having all of the carpets shampooed. I really appreciate your helpful feedback and would love the opportunity to show you the level of quality you expect the next time you are in the Richmond area. Thank you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Whitehouse, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

I was thrilled to discover this hotel as an arrangement through Hotwire. The room stated normal pricing over $90 before taxes. Including tax, it came to about $65 on a Saturday night. There were of us in our room and we were pleasantly surprised with 2 double beds and a pull out couch. Beautiful indoor pool and clean up dated amenities were everywhere. Set in a very cooperate area of town, it was nice and quiet and kept pristine as I can imagine this would draw a lot of business traffic during the week.

Breakfast was a pleasant surprise with home made waffles, fruits, cereals, yogurt, eggs, etc. 2 types of juice and several types of coffee. Beats any deal at a Waffle House or the like as this for the 4 in our party would have cost us another $40 that morning. If you can snatch a deal like we did, I would jump on it as I think you'd be hard pressed to find better in the area.

Room Tip: Away from the lobby as I can imagine it might be noisy in the morning during breakfast.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Comfort Suites I, General Manager at Comfort Suites Innsbrook, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Thank you very much for your kind review. We look forward to giving you same great stay you had this time the next time you are in the are. Thank you again.
Newnan, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

We should have known what to expect when we entered the front doorway and it had not been swept or cleaned in quite some time. Our room was so dirty that we had to put a blanket over the couch to cover up the stains. The lampshade on the desk lamp was falling off. The wall lamp was falling off the wall. My wife said that she was afraid to take her shoes off in the room because the carpet was so staine and dirty looking. One night when we turned on the cold water faucet we got nothing but hot water. We had to clean the coffee pot out each day, even the first day. We should have left the first night but our rooms were nonrefundable prepaid. This was a nice area Innsbrook "Short Pump" with many other hotels nearby. If you need a job apply here. There might be some openings in management and supervision, there is definitely a need.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your extremely helpful feedback in reference to your previous stay with us. I would like to personally apologize for the issues that you had while staying with us. It is my personal goal to make sure that all of our guests have the best stay possible. It is very helpful to receive this type of information so that I can make the necessary changes with my staff to insure these isolated incidents do not happen regularly. I have spoken with housekeeping and have implemented some new procedures to help with these types of situations so that they will not be repeated. I have also spoken with the management company of the hotel and we are scheduled for major capital improvements to begin before the end of this year which will include updating the soft goods like couches and chairs. Again thank you very much for bringing these deficiencies to my attention and I would invite you to come back if you are in the Richmond area to see our improvements and allow me and my team to show you how we can provide you the type of stay you would expect.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

I stayed at the Comfort Suites Innsbrook hotel overnight during the week of June 11. From the moment I walked in, the front desk staff was very nice and helpful. Early check in was a breeze and the room was great. The hotel is in an office park, and because of that the parking lot was huge and had ample parking.

The hotel itself, and my room, were very clean. The sheets looked brand new. Furniture quality was very nice--nothing was falling apart or broken like in another review on this site. The free wireless internet was easy to set up and was very fast. It was quiet in my room all evening and night, and the hotel was pretty busy during my stay. Breakfast was tasty--the waffles are huge, thick and highly recommended!

The room had a sleek 37 inch flatscreen HDTV, but I couldn’t watch any high definition channels on it. The hotel only provided standard definition analog channels, which the TV in turn stretched to fill the widescreen picture. Thankfully, as seen in my review pictures, I found the aspect ratio control button on the remote and watched analog TV with bars on either side. This seems to be a bigger problem with hotels in general—they spend a lot on new TVs to update their rooms and attract customers, but they fail to program the TV properly to allow the HDTV channels to be received. In the process, the customer gets an even worse-quality picture than with the old tube TVs. Granted, I didn’t come to this hotel to watch TV, but it still would've been nice to enjoy an HD picture.

As others have said, the pillows in this hotel are small, especially for a king-size bed, but it didn’t seem to be an issue for me. There are extra pillows in the room’s closet, if needed.

This wasn't really a big deal, but the hotel doesn't have one of those express check-out-via-phone systems where all you need to do is leave the room keys in the room. I had to go to the front desk to check out. It was very fast and there was no line, but I could imagine it being a problem if everyone decided to check out at the same time.

Overall, my stay at this hotel was very good and better than I had expected. I’d fully recommend the hotel to anyone traveling to the Glen Allen area. I'd also stay at this hotel again in a heartbeat if I was in the Richmond area in the future. My downsides above are all minor and it didn’t really bring down my rating of the hotel as they didn’t really affect my stay too much. But something as little as providing an HDTV but not providing HD channels with it could mean the difference between someone else booking a room here and looking elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your kind review of our property. We look forward to your next stay with us when you are in the Glen Allen area. In reference to the HD channels we are scheduled for major capital improvements before the end of the year and upgrading to HD channels is something that are discussing as part of those upgrades. Thank you again for your kind response.
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

I have stayed here several times and the hotel is very clean, has an indoor pool and the staff is great!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Comfort Suites I, General Manager at Comfort Suites Innsbrook, responded to this review, June 7, 2012
Thank you very much for your kind review it is mine and my staffs goal to provide the best service possible. We look forward to your next stay with us the next time you are in the Richmond area.
Silver Spring, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

Let me start off by saying the hotel itself was fine and so was the pool, but good luck using it without having to work around the front desk staff's children/family! I wasn't going to write a review until I found out I was LIED to once again, but this time by the manager Mr. Malone. I called him last week and filed a formal complaint and tried to avoid writing this very review, but he didn't follow-up on a single thing he said he would and to be honest it's just another slap in the face after what we have already endured. I was smart enough to record the phone call between myself and the manager Mr.Malone so if something like this had happened I would have information to support my case and Thankfully I do!

It's more than clear that the mgr and front desk staff have more of a personal relationship rather than a business one. When myself, my grandmother, and my husband stayed at this hotel it was a nightmare the minute we walked in the door. I was trying to check in and 2 small children were running around the lobby unattended without an adult supervising them, and twice already they had made contact with me and were screaming and yelling as if they were outside on a playground not in a upscale establishment. I inquired as to who the children belonged to and the front desk lady in a VERY defensive, not so nice manor informed me that they were her children! I'm sure she could tell I was not at all pleased at all with her response so she volunteered information telling me her boss was aware & let her bring the children to work with her so basically I shouldn't have a issue with it either. I am still trying to figure out how you run a hotel (she was the only staff member on shift) and watch your children at the same time! She was VERY defensive and made it seem as if I was the issue not the out of control children that were making our check-in a complete nightmare. Truth be told I wouldn't have had an issue with it had they behaved, but these were two of the most unruly children I have come in contact with to date. My husband was assisting my grandmother coming in the door and sure enough one of the little boys makes contact with my grandmothers walker and almost knocked her down. Had my husband not been QUICK and had enough strength to grab her she would have fallen and at 91 this could have been catastrophic, possibly her last fall. I was floored because the desk clerk/ mother didn't even acknowledge what happened much less apologize,but she did take the time out of helping us to grab one of the boys and pull him over to the tables to force him to sit down. That lasted all of a minute tops! Had it not been for the travel time and my grandmother being tired we would have gotten back in the car and left right then, but we didn't really have that option because it was already late for her, around 7:30-8pm, and we had already paid online for our entire stay, The check-in took at least triple the amount of time it should have and at that point I just wanted to get grandma safely into her room so she could rest. The remainder of our stay was okay except for trying to use the pool and the front desk ladies children were using it 2 out of 3 times we attempted so we were only able to use it once with grandma and we selected the hotel because of the indoor pool and the handicap accessible chair it had for grandma to use. We decided instead of posting a review we would call management when we had fully calmed down and file a complaint, but not out of anger. I was also in fear of my personal information being used if we did file a complaint and made that known to Mr. Malone when we spoke. He told me to email him anonymously so he could put the complaint in the file of front desk lady & I did so that very day. He told me the attitude and defensiveness the front desk lady displayed had been an ongoing issue and he assured me he would take care of it and she would no longer be working with the hotel. He offered me a free stay and I told him I wasn't looking for a freebie, but I did want to ensure that we could return and not have to deal with this circus activity. Mr. Malone also informed me that while he did okay the children coming to work with the lady for "30 mins" a while back for only a week due to babysitter issues, but he was unaware she was still bringing them and we determined that she was bringing them for far more than 30 mins a day because of the time she comes into work and the time we checked in had been well over a few hours after her shift had started.

I feel like he said what he could just to get me off the phone! What I did fail to tell Mr. Malone is my husband is in his same industry and that is why we were as careful as we were when filing the complaint because we know going through the proper chain of command is much more effective than filing a complaint and getting others involved whom have nothing to do with one person's actions. Well after this it's clear that this was a cover-up on his part because I just can't see corporate okaying children coming to work with anyone in this industry and bottom line is there is NO way a person can do the job she is supposed to do when she has to watch two children that I would put well under ten years of age. I have children myself and I would get laughed at if I tried to bring my children to work for any period of time and my job is a sit down boring office job if you will. I left my children at home with the nanny to get a break. We shouldn't be forced to deal with things like this and then get treated like we are the ones in the wrong. I am floored that this man lied to me after I Thanked him for being so kind and hearing me out. I was almost going to write a good review about him until we did a follow-up call which informed us this lady was and is still very much working and that's not where Mr.Malone left it....as he said "it's her last straw" He told me he has had "many" previous issues and agreed 100% that she displays defensive behavior when you try and give her feedback. I have every bit of this recorded and will be sending a package with my concerns to corporate as soon as I get it together.

I will NOT use a choice hotel again and I WAS a member. They can have the points and they can have the rude, dishonest, disrespectful staff they employ! He could have been honest and told me he wasn't going to do anything instead of wasting my time and making it seem as though he heard my concerns and validated them. I feel very disrespected to say the least and I will NOT stop here. Thanks for lying to me and Thanks for showing me your hotel could care less about guest safety and Thanks mostly for making us check our bank accounts daily and live in fear that this woman has our home information and bank card info. I wouldn't put anything past these people at this point, but we will see how corporate feels. Maybe they will act on the issue and the BBB. Buyer BEWARE!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Blacksburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

Everything was great, but the pool was too cold for little kids when it was cold outside. Staff said 80 degrees air temp and pool temp was highest they could go according to state law.... odd, because it is lower than accepted guidelines for kids.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Comfort Suites I, General Manager at Comfort Suites Innsbrook, responded to this review, May 3, 2012
Thank you very much for your honest and well thought review of the Comfort Suites Innsbrook. I would like to first apologize for the water temperature of the pool. We do normally keep the temperature of the pool at 80 degrees per the advice of the county inspector that checks the pool monthly so that we are in compliance with county guidelines. I would also like to apologize for the misrepresentation by my front desk attendant in reference to this temperature being a "law". It is simply a suggestion by the inspector as a safe and comfortable temperature for the pool. I will be having a meeting this week with my front desk staff and I will make sure to bring this issue up and make sure that everyone understands. I am happy that the rest of your stay was satisfactory and i look forward to your next stay with us the next time you are in the Richmond area. Thank you again for the helpful feedback.

Been to Comfort Suites Innsbrook? Share your experiences!