“I'm talking SHRIMP & GRITS!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Diner, Healthy
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Glade Spring, Virginia, United States
“I'm talking SHRIMP & GRITS!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We are so lucky to have this little jewel in the Town Square in Glade Spring. Even if we didn't live nearby, we would drive the distance (as many people do) to enjoy the wonderful food at the WhistlePig. Last night's special was shrimp & grits and it was divine. HUGE shrimp, perfectly grilled with a down home, down South sauce and a heavenly dome of grits and a side of fresh spinach. The regular fare of soups (yum) and sandwiches (yum) are delicious as well as healthy. There are always vegetarian offerings and EVERYTHING is reasonably priced. Oh, the sweet potato fries....well, you just have to taste them to find out how good they are. If you haven't been there, you are missing it! They are open for lunch Tuesday through Saturday and Friday night for dinner. The service is warm and friendly......pretty close to eating at you momma's house! Oh....deserts are made in house and are a perfect ending to a FINE meal. Like them on FaceBook so you can see the daily specials! You can get take-away, too!

• Visited November 2012

Abingdon, Virginia
“A Real Local Gem!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

My husband and I came in for lunch today, and we were very excited to try out Whistlepig. Friends have been telling us about this place for a while, and we finally made the 25 minute drive from Abingdon to see for ourselves. I'm so glad we did. We had the black-eyed pea chili, which was fantastic, as well as a spicy chicken sandwich and a veggie burger. All of the entries were delicious, however the real starts here are the carbs. The menu advertises the french fries as the best around, and I have to concur. We tried both sweet potato and white potato varieties, and they were incredible--perfectly seasoned, with fresh dill on top. Also, the cornbread is some of the best I've ever had, and I have really high standards for cornbread. Dessert was a treat as well -- I had a very yummy caramel apple bar. The service is also top-notch, and the prices are great for the ample portion sizes. We will be coming back here for sure!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dixon, IL
“Good food, Good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

Enjoyed a large, delicious & reasonably priced ($6) pulled pork barbeque with cole slaw at a small restaurant in Glade Spring, VA with a most unusual name. They make a point to use locally grown food. If you're driving along I-81 in southwestern Virginia, drive into tiny Glade Spring for a good meal. Their seating is limited.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Johnson City, Tennessee
“Will return!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

I visited the building while they were still Damascus, but I gotta say those were the best french fries I had, ever. I could tell they were cut straight from the potato, and then cooked with (I'm guessing) rosemary. Yum. Pricing was very affordable, the atmosphere was Mayberry, and the scenery was beautiful. Can't wait to go back.

• Visited October 2011
Virginia
“Love, love, love the WhistlePig Bistro”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

I love the food and atmosphere at this great little diner. Cindy and Roger are the best! Yummy sweet potato fries, bean cakes, garden salad, chicken salad.....the list of goodies goes on and on. If you're looking for great sweet tea, delicious food and a happy, fun atmosphere, then visit the WhistlePig Diner in the Glade Spring town square!

• Visited May 2012