“Don't stop here!” 1 of 5 stars

549 East Stuart Dr., Galax, VA 24333   |
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Galax
“Don't stop here!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

The picture you see on the website was obviously taken elsewhere. The location of the Motel is why we chose the place. First we were charged $40 whereas the website says $29-$35. When we got to the door the paint was bubbled and pealing. Happened to notice there was a microwave outside in the corner for "community use!" We then entered the room. The mattress sagged in the middle. The shower head was tied on with a shoestring. The subfloor by the toilet was rotted. And the pictures were stapled to the wall. When my husband went to dry off after his shower the towel ripped wher it was dry rotted. My towel had a hole eaten completely thru wher it been folded by a mouse. The next morning when I asked for clean towels the manager informed me you only got 1 towel per week stay. There was a 4 in by 1/2 in gap between door and jam. I would suggest that you stay anywhere but here.

• Stayed October 2013

Families
Solo
Business
Madison, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

This place was horrid. I wouldn't let my dog stay in the room. From the outside, we knew it looked a little ragged. Thankfully, I was in town for only a few hours, visiting my friend. I just needed a place to change and chill for a little while. The owner was quite rude. Went to room 11, walked in the door, it was around 30 degrees inside. There was a small fan heater, I immediately turned it on. There were holes in the floors, the door barely shut, cold air blew in around every edge of the door, and I'm pretty sure if someone kicked it from the outside, it would have broken off the hinges. The floor was wet and moldy, the hot water took FOREVER to come on, it was plain nasty. I would NEVER recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
durham NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

Don't let the photo full you. This place is not kid friendly and customer service was horrible as soon as he found out I had children he said he had no rooms available. Guess unless you want to do drugs and trash the place you are not welcome. Seen a room before and it was very small one bed and smelled of smoke and mold. Nothing like the picture shown on review.

• Stayed December 2012
Randleman, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2009

We had read good reviews on the Galax Motel website, so we decided to try it out on a mini vacation with limited funds. When we drove in, we were quite skeptical, but decided to go for it. It does indeed look pretty run-down - but the staff was very friendly and pleasant. When we went into our room, we were pleasantly surprised. It was clean and the place was very quite - except for a little road noise from time to time. No frills here - but the price is great if you're on a budget. Good location too. Our biggest let-down was no coffee! When we checked out at around 9 AM - the office was closed and of course we couldn't even get a cup of coffee. Had to hang keys on a hook outside of door. That issue could have been a little better - maybe have staff available in the morning and a nice pot of coffee available for guests. All in all, would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Galax Motel? Share your experiences!