“Too close to trains” 2 of 5 stars

Earn 2x Points
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Gainesville
“Too close to trains”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

The hotel, the staff, the appearance was all that a Hampton should be. However, there is a train that runs overhead or near overhead that shook my room. I wish I would have been told of this before check in and I would have chosen a different Hampton. If you want quiet, choose a different location. Other than that, it was good.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

gainesville-va, General Manager at Hampton Inn Gainesville-Haymarket, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I sincerely apologize for the noise issue encountered during your stay. Our guests’ comfort and safety is my number one concern. However, I know that a good restful night sleep is very important for travelers as well and so I would like to extend our my sincere apologize for the inconvenience of the trains that passed by. Although the hotel was built with thicker glass and extra insulation along with the added ear plugs in every guest room, we know it may not drown out all the noise. As you can see during your stay, VDOT is working diligently to complete this overpass in the next few years, which I hope will alleviate the train whistle as they pass on through Gainesville.

We are looking forward to the completion of the construction and hope that any guests we may have lost due to this,will give us another opportunity to try us out again.
We appreciate the feedback and again thank you for staying.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Sierra Vista, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I travel and work out of my home office in Manassas about 4 times a year and I choose the Hampton Inn in Gainesville everytime. Easy commute, great staff, clean rooms. I love it! There is a train that drives by, but it's no big deal. :) I wouldn't stay anywhere else!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Bristow, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I used the hall/banquet room for a birthday party. The staff was beyond helpful considering this was the first party I had done at such an establishment. They lay out all my options and assisted me every step of the way towards having the perfect birthday party! From beginning to end, they were amazing!

The price was very fair. They were honest and truly tried to help me save money wherever they could; especially providing me with the senior discount for 2 rooms which I had forgotten all about.

The hotel is in an outstanding location as well. Literally walking distance to many shops and restaurants!

HIGHLY recommended for partys and for overnight stay! Truly exceptional!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Ljubljana, Slovenia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

I spend the night in this hotel after just arriving to US from Europe. I was very tired as I was queing for more than 1,5 hours at the airport to get through the customs so I was very happy to see extremely fast check-in. Lady at the reception was also very polite and in a good mood so this was extra plus which you don't ussualy see in the middle of the night.

Room that I had, was very big, with nice and comfortable bed. Bathroom was rather small but good enough.

Breakfast was not something, but good enough to start a day. I would expect a bit more. Somehow the comfort of the room did not match the poor food selection at breakfast.

Considering the price I have paid, this was very good deal and would recomend it if you are in the area doing a business for couple of days.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Great location right off highway with many amenities and restuarants in walking distance. Train is less than 50 yards away. I am not a light sleeper, but some other people in our party was bothered. They do provide earplugs.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay overall and that you were not as bothered as some of the guests in your party about the train. I sincerely apologize for the noise issue encountered during your stay. Our guests’ comfort and safety is my number one concern. However, I know that a good restful night sleep is very important for travelers as well and so I would like to extend our my sincere apologize for the inconvenience of the trains that passed by. Although the hotel was built with thicker glass and extra insulation and you were aware of the added ear plugs in every guest room, we know it may not drown out all the noise. As you can see during your stay, VDOT is working diligently to complete this overpass in the next few years, which I hope will alleviate the train whistle as they pass on through Gainesville.

We appreciate the feedback and again thank you for staying.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

The staff was wonderfully friendly! Stacy (the assistant manager) was very compassionate and accommodating to our needs for our wedding block. Even when we had last minute changes and such, they adjusted with smiles and helpfulness. Our guests repeatedly complimented the rooms and breakfasts and the location with so many shops and restaurants near by! Thank you all and we recommend this Hampton Inn 100%!

• Stayed February 2013
Happy Creek, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

We only stayed one evening and arrived to find a spacious, well appointed room. Everything worked as intended and everything was spotless clean. The bed was simply fabulous and it was made even better by the fact that there were no dogs or cats trying to share it with us. We were forewarned about the train and there were ear plugs in the room so it wasn't a big deal. I'm an early riser so when 2 trains went through at 5-5:30AM it didn't bother me a bit. YES they have to blow their horns since they are intersecting with the roads so get over it, there could be more invasive noises to deal with like gunfire in the parking lot at a Danville VA motel I stayed at years ago.
Breakfast area was clean, food was mediocre to average but on par with the typical American continental breakfast. Eggs and cheese were definitely from powder, sausage links were probably frozen, but they do have self serve waffle makers on hand. It's always amusing to sit and read the paper and watch some people struggle to make a waffle.
Overall the room was a bit pricey but I would recommend it and stay there again due to the overall cleanliness of the facility, and the comfy bed.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gainesville
Value Place Gainesville
#1 of 6 in Warrenton
4.5 of 5 stars 280 reviews
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Manassas
Holiday Inn Manassas - Battlefield

Been to Hampton Inn Gainesville-Haymarket? Share your experiences!