“Enjoying Killahevlin” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Killahevlin

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Front Royal
Killahevlin
1401 N Royal Ave, Front Royal, VA 22630   |
Ranked #1 of 8 Front Royal B&B and Inns
Ellicott City, Maryland
“Enjoying Killahevlin”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

We visit Killahevlin with two other couples in the Spring and Fall of each year.We enjoy the
innkeepers Tom and Kathy and the atmosphere they create.The rooms are attractive and
comfortable and the common areas, including the porches,gazebos, and the in house pub,
provide excellent gathering places for our friends and fellow patrons. Breakfasts are
excellent.
Kathy volunteers in the Front Royal visitor center and has extensive knowledge of area
attractions and restaurants.
We have already made our reservations for Fall.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

204 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

My partner and I loved staying here. We stayed in a room with access to the balcony. The room was very large, charming and super clean with lots of fantastic finishing touches - like a bottle sherry and home magazines..
We took a 30 minute walk along the main road from the house to dinner in town, which is mostly not a particularly nice walk, but it's very safe.
Great access to the Shenandoah National Park.
And the breakfast was delicious.
Thanks to Tom and Kathy!

Abington, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Great rooms, excellent service (Tom is wonderful!), beautiful property, convenient location and the little private pub was awesome! Breakfast by Tom and Kathy was superb! The walls are a bit thin, though, so hopefully if you arrive late like me you won't be quite as loud as I was. (Sorry neighbors!)

Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Arranged a weekend away for my wife and my anniversary (left our children at grandma and grandpa's house). Decided to go to Killahevlin as it got good reviews. We stayed in the Blue Room, which was very nice with a semi-private porch and a hot tub in the bathroom.

We arrived late, but had made arrangements with Tom and Kathy ahead of time, so everything was ready for us. The house is a nice, historic house with lots of charm. Our only complaint about the room was the water pressure...wasn't quite as strong as I'm accustomed to, but it did get the job done for a shower. The bed is an old style 4 poster wooden bed. The mattress was comfortable, and extra blankets were available in the armoire. Note: there is no TV in the room. I was happy, as the weekend was about spending time with my wife, not watching TV, but if you have kids, they might be disappointed.

The service was superb. Tom made a delicious breakfast each morning (we were there for 2 breakfasts) and Kathy was very helpful with where to go, how to get there, and how to get a discount if possible.

The room wasn't cheap, but I felt it was worth it with the great service and nice location.

All in all, a great experience and I'd gladly go back.

Room Tip: Blue and White Rooms have porches - Blue room is on the sunny side. All the rooms were quiet -- NOT...
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

The Inn was lovely and the stand-in innkeepers were very welcoming. The room was beautiful and I look forward to a warmer time when we can take advantage of the adjoining porch. The gazebo on the property also looks like a great place to relax when it is warm.

The downstairs pub is a generous treat too.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hagerstown, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

My partner and I wanted a relaxing stay at a place close to Shenandoah National Park and Skyline Drive - we are so happy we chose this place! We were greeted by Tom when we arrived, who gave us a tour of the entire house, ending at our room. We stayed in the white room, chosen for two reasons: 1. the enclosed porch and 2. the clawfoot tub! My partner grew up in an old farmhouse and loves clawfoot tubs, so I surprised her with this. The room was very large with plenty of storage. The fireplace had an electric fireplace in it, which was perfect during this February weekend. There was a bottle of sherry with two small glasses - a nice touch. The bathroom had shampoo, conditioner, bubble bath, soap, and a hair dryer. I thought the navy blue washcloth (used for 'makeup') was a nice touch, as I did have makeup to take off. The porch was very large, expanding the entire front of the house, and is accessible by two rooms - the white room and the blue room. They have partitions up so you wouldn't be able to see anyone else on the porch, so there is privacy - or, if you were traveling with other people, you could open it up and have access to the entire porch together. We spent a few hours on the comfy chairs, with our feet up, reading on the porch. The view is great, and we were able to watch the sunset over the mountains. The bed had extremely comfy sheets and fluffy pillows - we slept quite well.

The rest of the house was also fantastic. The living room has large brown leather chairs/ottomans and sofas which are extremely comfortable. We spent some time down there, drinking a beer. We loved that this place had a pub - Harper lager was on tap with a few other bottled beer in the fridge. The fridge also had a mix of red and white wine and some soda. In the pub was a TV and some board games - it would be a nice place to hang out, especially if you were there with a group of friends.

We had recommendations to eat at Element by people at the visitors center AND Tom, and so we did. It was fantastic. The menu is small, which is a great sign. It was probably the best scallops I've ever eaten, and my partner got steak which she could not stop raving about. They are closed on Sundays. Go eat there!

Breakfast at Killahevlin was so good. Tom let us know it would be served between 8:30-10 at our own leisure. We came down at about 8:15 because the smell of delicious coffee woke us up. Tom gave me a choice of tea (I chose Irish Breakfast) since I'm not a coffee drinker, and it was great - I had never drank loose tea before. The main dish at breakfast was Eggs Benedict - and since I don't like soft boiled eggs, Tom made mine with scrambled. And earlier I had mentioned putting hollandaise sauce on asparagus, and so Tom offered us asparagus with breakfast (not on the original receipt), so I said yes - and I'm glad I did! It was a great accompaniment. It was so nice of him to offer.

Tom and Kathy were so friendly; they answered all of our questions, gave us a lot of history of the house and surrounding area, and tips on where to go, what to do, and how to get there. I highly recommend this B&B. You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: The white room and blue room are at the front of the house, so they face the West. This is great for...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Fairfax, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I was looking for a place that would be close to northern VA for a relaxing getaway weekend for my husband & me. Killahevlin sounded perfect so we reserved Blue Room. It was our favorite from all of the write ups. We were met by Tom when we checked in. He was very gracious, provided some history of the area & gave us a tour of the house. Some of the furnishings in our room were a 4 poster queen bed with 4 pillows, an antique armoire and a fireplace with an electric stove insert. A bottle of sherry & 2 glasses were on a side table. The bathroom was quite large with a pedestal sink with a table on the side, a colorful nightlight & with a wonderful extra large Jacuzzi tub. The towels from Turkey were very nice including a black wash cloth that was to be used for washing off makeup. The one item that the room could use was a box of tissues.

The items that we liked the best were the enclosed porch with chairs, a table & lamp that was just perfect for reading, relaxing & watching the sun set, the main living room with its comfy leather chairs and the Irish bar. The bar had Harp Lager on tap, several wines to choose from and a refrigerator with other beverages.

And then there was breakfast that was scrumptious and so filling. Killahevlin is about 1 mile from the Shenandoah National Park. So we spent half of one day hiking & driving Skyline Dr. and the other half doing some wine tasting. For dinner, go to Apt. 2g.

This was just what we had hoped for – a very relaxing weekend.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Killahevlin? Share your experiences!