“Pretty Crappy” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 9 hotels in Front Royal
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Pretty Crappy”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

This hotel was quite sub-par in my expectations. I was hoping to receive a cheap night's stay in a local motel but instead got average pricing in a run-down motel with all sorts of nastyness.

Arriving at the hotel at night, I was unable to convince the Front Desk person to give me a special rate, but at least I was able to convince him not to charge me $6 extra for the two extra people we had. The room came with two double beds and we were four people.

The hotel room had the usual set up, two beds and a TV. The biggest problem was the heating, which barely worked. Luckily we doubled up in the beds and were able to create at least some sort of comfort. Everything else in the room was rather old and the 15 inch TV looked like it came straight out of the 90's.

The most shocking part was when we went to the Car later in the night to retrieve some items. Coming back up the stairs we were greeted, by what can only be called a prostitute. Oh well, maybe someone else's cup of tea.

The continental breakfast was meager and I was glad to be out of there.

Room Tip: Do not stay when the weather is cold, it takes forever to warm up.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

40 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Wow, it's more difficult to write a review of this hotel that you'd think. There is nothing wrong with it, but it's so very much different from what I am used to that I am not finding the right words to accurately describe what this hotel is. I wasn't very picky when I was booking it, I knew we would stay only one night after driving through Skyline Drive, and for that one night it was perfectly fine.
First of all, the gentleman who checked me in would have trouble finding a job in hospitality where I'm from, and it wouldn't be for his lack of professionalism, but for a lack of teeth. NOT what we're used to in the Northeast. However, he was perfectly nice and helpful (I heard him making recommendations and give directions to other guests).
Our room was really really really small, but also very CLEAN, and it had a small kitchenette area. Heater worked with no problems. There was an older type of a TV set in the room (not flat screen). You get the remote when you check in.
Breakfast was very basic, bagels frozen and not fresh, not so great orange juice and coffee, but for the price we paid for the room I wouldn't even normally expect breakfast, so I appreciate that it was there.
We found some restaurants within walking distance. Chinese next door, if you're really tired. It's good for short stays, and you won't find a better price, and certainly not with breakfast.

Homestead, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We stayed here 1 night to access the Skyline Drive through the Shanendoah National Park. It was clean and comfortable. Breakfast was available till 11 am. It was VERY basic, but sufficient. My one complaint was that there was no night lock for the door. I felt safe enough traveling with my husband but if I were alone, I'd be concerned. The neighborhood seems safe but I prefer that the door be lockable from the inside where someone with a key can not open it from the outside.

England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We booked one nights accommodation on the day of our stay and had no problems with the reservation. The owners are very friendly, welcoming and accommodating.

The motel is easy to find and slightly set back from the main road so you don't really get any traffic noise, we stayed in a room at the front of the motel and it was really quiet.

Some of the rooms have internal entrances, the majority have external entrances.

We did switch rooms as we could not get a decent wifi signal in the first room, (internal entrance) the room we moved to (external entrance) had really reliable and fast wifi.

The room itself was fairly small and had an adjoining room which was bolted. A microwave and fridge were available in a small kitchenette. The room was very clean although it was very dated. We stayed in a room with one double bed. One slight improvement would be the towels, there were clean but seem to be a little washed out.

The breakfast was available until 11 and was basic but sufficient - cereal, bagels, cream cheese, orange juice and coffee.

All in all we had a good quiet night, felt perfectly safe and this place is good for a one night stay to break up a long journey.

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

The room was clean and worth the money. They placed us in connecting rooms without being asked. The staff was friendly and helpful. The kids loved the pool. The fish pond in the front of the hotel was a nice touch. It was quiet and had a great location near to restaurants and stores. It was located near major roadways. The breakfast was just a contintental breakfast.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with cheaprooms.com

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Convenient for the Skyline Drive, but not our first choice (the curious Shenandoah was much cheaper abut (only just) fully booked).

Motel presented well from the outside, looking significantly better than the surrounding alternatives. There's even a comfortable lobby but the reception looks like an overprotected convenience store!

The room and bed were a little disappointing and certainly overpriced. Breakfast included but minimal selection and awful coffee.

Ashburn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

The motel is not fancy or elegant, but neither is the town :-) The front desk clerk was friendly. The room was very clean and well maintained, and included a small frig and microwave. The bed was comfortable and the heat/AC unit worked without problems. The continental breakfast was sparse but adequate. The price was very fair. The motel was exactly what I was looking for, a nice place for a one night stay before I hit Skyline Drive. I would definitely come back and recommend it to others.

Room Tip: ask for an upstairs room
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to Cool Harbor Motel? Share your experiences!