“Sufficient for a one night stay.” 3 of 5 stars

Scottish Inn Front Royal
533 South Royal Ave, Front Royal, VA 22630   |
Ranked #6 of 9 hotels in Front Royal
Jericho, Vermont
“Sufficient for a one night stay.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

My girlfriend and I recently spent an unplanned night at the Scottish Inn due to a major snowstorm that forced us out of our campsites in Shenandoah. This Scottish Inn is definitely a no-frills location, but it is sufficient. Our room did have a power chemical smell from the cleaning solutions used, but for a single night day was not problematic.

Contrary to the postings of others, I saw nothing wrong with staying in "this part of town", and as someone who is an AT hiker, I assure you that neither I nor anyone else in my party has any interest in anyone else s valuables.

Heading into this location with the correct assumptions about what you will get will make for a decent night's stay. And having grown up in New England, I am still amazed that there are places you get get a room for less than $50 a night!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

14 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Berryville, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

This place is okay if you need a place to stay in Front Royal, but beware. I have worked in the homeless ministry in Front Royal, and many displaced people live at this hotel. Hikers from the Appalachian Trail also stay there -- so just beware of your valuables, etc. Truthfully I can't recommend any good places to stay in Front Royal except the Hampton Inn at the other end of town - which will be more expensive, of course. If I were looking for a place to stay with my family, I would try Flint Hill or Winchester or Warrenton..

Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Old VIRGINIA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2011

Very good lodging for budget minded folks. About half a mile from entrance to Skyline Drive.
Great hamburger joint, B3B 3 Brothers Burgers right across the street. Speaking of streets, S. Royal Avenue is a main thoroughfare, lots of traffic day and night, and then, there's the trains. Close your ears and go to sleep!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2011

Great sleep. Highspeed internet. No frills, and I enjoyed the retro furnishings.
Terrific value. Just a few minutes from Shenandoah National Park. Friendly staff.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2010

Too many section 8 people live there. I stayed here and there was noise outside. Me being an investigator I ask questions I do not assume anything. So I asked the 21 year old. I said hey brother you on vacation or you live here. He was a white kid and he said I live here and I lived here all my life. He was a nice guy but made a lot of noise. There were several others there that also made a lot of noise. The price was 45 Bucks it was cheap and 5 bucks more for my dog. It was REALLY close to the start of the drive. Coming into town I needed directions. A local gave them to me and advised that was not a good part of town. Being a retired cop I do not scare at all. But the damm noise, the locals told me to stay at the Quality inn and spent 80 bucks a night instead of 45. The section 8 people were yelling back and forth to others on the porch at night. At midnight it did get quiet, but I like to sleep earlier than that.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2010

50 bucks, not bad at all. Room very basic. Clean little fridge and microwave. Room didn't stink. No apparent odor-masking scents, but a little stuffy until we hit the AC. Carpet not something you wouldn't put your feet on. Shower/tub floor could have used a bleach job to whiten up. Stayed on second floor. Always stay on top floor rooms at any motel when possible to avoid people pacing about overhead at all times of day or night. Motel about a mile from Skyline Drive entrance. Only negative we had was my wife was awakened by truck traffic in the am. I slept through it. City folks may not notice this. We live in the sticks so are not used to much noise. We were there for a Friday am and Saturday am and it seemed to have this traffic on the weekday and not the weekend.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Zeeland, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2010

We really just needed a place to bunk down for the night before heading up onto Skyline Drive. It was clean, but spartan. The bathroom needed a little updating, but everything appeared to have a fresh coat of paint on it. Air conditioner worked fine. Bed was OK. Seemed clean enough. I wouldn't recommend for an extended period for someone's vacation destination, but for a good nights' sleep at a fair price, it fit the bill.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Scottish Inn Front Royal? Share your experiences!