“Unique and delightful!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Woodward House on Manor Grade

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Front Royal
Woodward House on Manor Grade
Save Saved
You added Woodward House on Manor Grade to your Saves list
413 South Royal Ave., Front Royal, VA 22630   |
Ranked #1 of 8 Front Royal B&B and Inns
Sheffield, England
“Unique and delightful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012 via mobile

One of the strangest but most welcoming and truly lovely bed and breakfasts I have ever stayed in! amazing food, free beer and a stepladder to get up to bed! It was beautiful and bob and Joan are the best hosts. Book it, you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed March 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Athol, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

This was absolutely delightful! Spend a coulee of days here, and enjoyed it mightily. From the cheerful greeting of the innkeeper through the goodbye breakfast, it was an experience to remember. Joan and Bob are both pleasant , helpful, interesting folks, and they really strive to make their large house a home to all. We had ( and i can't figure out why) been given an upgrade from a room to a suite, and we adored it!! It was like a little apartment of our own, so we didn't go out and tour one afternoon, just sat around and absorbed the atmosphere. Very strongly recommend it.

Room Tip: If you wan to feel like newlyweds in your first home, try Elizabeth's Suite!!! LIttle icing roo...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

My fiance and I stayed here two nights on a trip to Shenandoah National Park. The town of Front Royal is a great base for exploring the entire Shenandoah Valley area, including wineries, the park, and other small towns. We had planned on a full day of hiking and sightseeing... but ended up snowbound for half the day during that freak Halloween snowstorm. We didn't mind though, and we eventually ventured out to a local whisky distillery called Copper Fox. Highly recommend going there if you like whisky (yes, without the "e,"). The tour is really neat, and they sell "age-it-yourself" kits with a mini barrel and bottles of unaged spirits.

Anyway. The house is easy to miss if you're not looking closely. It's set back from the road a bit up a short but steep hill. Plenty of parking is available. Bob, Joan, and Kathy are fantastic hosts. We felt welcome from the minute we walked in the door.

We stayed in a mini-suite room with a sitting area and semi-separated sleeping area. Joan stocks the rooms with water, snacks, and homemade cookies, yum! The bed was absolutely amazing. It was a high, carved-oak queen-sized mountain of a bed. It was piled so high with a featherbed and down comforter that it stood taller than my waist! Luckily small stepstools were provided for getting into and out of it. When we woke up to the snow, I didn't want to get out of bed. But breakfast is only till 9:00 a.m. Feel free to come down in your jammies though, it's super-relaxed!

Speaking of breakfast... wow can Joan cook! Omelettes to order, homemade muffins, fresh fruit, french toast, dry cereals, slow-cooker oatmeal, cinnamon apples, four kinds of flavored sugars, coffee/tea, fresh-squeezed OJ, etc. etc. Sunday morning we were treated to "sin on a saucer" which was some strange and wonderful cross between a popover and a cinnamon roll. Incredible. Also on Sunday, they have cheese biscuits with sausage gravy... not for the faint of heart. I couldn't finish mine, and they were so rich it made my stomach hurt.

Staying here really is like staying with your family. Bob and Joan might be your loving, slightly kooky aunt & uncle, and Kathy is Joan's twin sister. It's fun trying to tell them apart! All of the guests staying that weekend ended up hanging out much of the night in the living room near the fireplace and around the bar (which has complimentary wine & beer on tap). Maybe it's just the kind of people this inn attracts, but it was nice to interact with people instead of staying holed up in a hotel room.

The only negative thing that happened was that the fireplace got backed up a couple of times, sending smoke out into the living room and upstairs into the guest rooms. All the guests banded together and opened the windows, and it wasn't a huge deal. Made me a little nervous though, since they had a fire going almost all the time. I think the house is a little careworn and could use a touch (just a touch) of updating, but we're still very excited to plan a return trip in the spring. And hopefully it won't snow again!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

We LOVED Woodward House.
My husband and I have stayed in many Hotels and B+B's all over the world, we are now sailing around the world and wanted a very homely place to stay for a few days after a hectic UK visit before returning to our boat. We got homely in spades.
The website that Bob has put together is great. Informative and useful for tourists.
We arrived to the friendliest of welcomes and were shown to our beautiful cabin - an upgrade from a stunning room and a lovely surprise (photos added). The attention to detail was quite amazing - a welcome drink, cookies, popcorn and sweets. The bathroom was top drawer - a Jacuzzi bath, gel, shampoo even a little pot of talcum powder.
The breakfast that Joan produces is out of this world - all home made and cooked to order, the freshest eggs, the biggest muffins and no need to eat for the rest of the day.
After a day of exploring a welcome in the complementary bar and chance to spin some tales.
We have no hesitation in highly recommending this unique place. Truly an experience we will never forget.
Thank you Joan and Bob ( Kathy and Don too ) xx xx

Room Tip: The rooms are all unique, the beds very comfortable, the cabins stunning
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

I cannot say enough about how wonderful my stay(s) have been at this wonderful Bed and Breakfast. When I first arrived last year, I had been on the Appalachina Trail coming from Harper's Ferry.
I never expected to be treated with such warmth and hospitality. Bob and Joan are two excellent inn keepers and their accomations were far superior to any B and B I had visted on my 100 mile trek on the AT.
I was determined to bring my wife back, not only to show her this wonderful Manor House, but for her to meet my two new friends who went out of their way to make me feel like a guest in their stately home.
This past spring I was returning from a visit down south near North Carolina and the Tennesee border and make it a point to stay at the place I have grown to love so well. If you're looking for a place to stay that is above average and won't break the bank, I highly recommend The Woodward House on Manor Grade. I'm sure that, just like me, this will not be your first and last visit.
I recommend this B and B because it is located near the AT and many vineyards, caverns and exciting excursions. The breakfast they serve will make you want to skip lunch. Great food, wonderful accomodations, and I'm sure you'll see, Bob and Joan are two very special people.
Happy Trails,
Ralph Estle

Room Tip: The cabin is like a dream ...... All of the rooms are top shelf.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Bethesda, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

My wife and I spent our first ever night at a B&B and absolutely loved it! After a full day of visiting wineries, sightseeing, and scenic drives in the Shenendoah Valley, we checked into the Woodward House around 4PM. Our welcome by Joan was so warm and inviting, and we immediately felt right at home. We were upgraded to the Elizabeth Suite without even asking! The suite was very large, warm, and cozy, with a private bath, bedroom, living area, and TV room.

After taking a nice nap we headed down for their first ever wine tasting party in the downstairs bar (full with beer on tap, other drinks, and excellent appitizers like grilled chicken, cheese, veggies, and desserts). About 10 of us participated in the blind tasting event with the winners keeping the extra bottles brought by everyone. It was an amazing time that we will never forget.

Sunday morning we had a delightful breakfast delivered by Bob - cinnamon buns, omlettes, waffles, whatever you want they seemed to have, and it tasted fabulous!

We are already planning our next visit to the Woodward House!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

We stayed here two years ago, so when we returned to VA, we wanted to revisit the Woodward. Joan remembered us and gave us the warmest welcome, making us feel like we were visiting a long lost friend. From the nice snack basket in the room to the free guest bar and fantastic breakfast, there's nowhere that makes me feel quite as comfortable as this B&B. Feels like family!

Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Woodward House on Manor Grade? Share your experiences!