“I love the presentation” 4 of 5 stars

US Highway 340, 10344 Stonewall Jackson Hwy, Front Royal, VA 22630
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 17 things to do in Front Royal
More attraction details
Owner description: Caves in the Shenandoah Valley that feature anthodites, rare rock formations.
Seven Corners, Virginia
149 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 168 helpful votes
“I love the presentation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

We were trying to drive through Skyline Drive, but didn't realize they close the whole thing for the winter. So, after we were turned away from there the only other thing that came to mind was to visit the similarly named caverns.
I am incredibly glad that I did it. I passed by them many times on the way from DC to WV. I have never had a guided cavern tour, although, I did some amateur speleo. One hour tour costs $18/adult and does a marvelous job hilighting all of the caverns details and history. Given that you have a desent guide, and we did, it's well worth that price.
The use of diferent colored lights from diferent positions would surely entertain kids and adults alike. Unique crystals that formed there in a vacuum are just astonishing. At the end I was surprised to find out that we've walked a mile and a half. Time flew by so fast and there was a lot of interesting stuff there.
I'll be sure to visit Luray caverns soon as others suggested here.
In short, go and visit these caverns, you won't be disappointed!

1 Thank Seth J

Culpeper, Virginia
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Talk about getting down, down under that is.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Cool, fascinating and huge. Everything you want in cave walking, sighs you'll never see anywhere else.

Visited April 2012
60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Intimate Groups, Beautiful Cavern - right near Skyline Dr”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Originally, I have no plan to visit Skyline Caverns. I saw the brochure at the hotel, but still wasn’t on the radar. It wasn’t until we were on our way to the drive down Skyline Drive on our way to Luray Cavers that we decided to visit. Boy am I glad we did. This is sooo different that Luray. The caverns are more narrow than Luray and the pavement is rockier an uneven (unlike the smoother surfaces @ Luray). Because of the narrow halls, the group was smaller and more intimate with about 8 people. The caverns themselves are beautiful, especially, with the use of colored lights within the spaces. Also, with a smaller group, we were actually hear the guide. Overall, with a family of 4, it was about $40 compared to $66 at Luray. Also on the property, is a mini train and a mirror maze, we were already off our schedule, so we were unable to do either. Like my review of Luray, I would recommend wearing comfortable shoes since it’s about a mile of walking up and down the caverns for the hour tour. A must visit!

Visited November 2012
Markham, Virginia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“One of the prettiest.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We've been to several caverns and skyline is our favorite. We've gone back often to show it to visitors. They are fascinating caverns with some very lovely areas. It's very well kept and the guides are excellent. The less a cavern tries to dress up this natural wonder with music and lights, the better I like it.

Visited December 2011
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Marvellous natural wonder”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Brilliant, stunning, amazing. The only down side was our guide who was more interested in his mobile phone than in us and clearly had a late night, yawn yawn. Could have been even more incredible if the guide showed just a little enthusiasm.

Visited October 2012