“Mixed review” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Quality Inn & Suites

You added Quality Inn & Suites to your Saves list
Quality Inn & Suites
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1620 Armory Drive, Franklin, VA 23851 (Formerly Comfort Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Franklin
Maryland
“Mixed review”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I stayed at the Comfort Inn in Franklin for two nights. Sally, the clerk who checked me in, was very helpful and friendly. I stayed in room 128. The bathroom is in serious need of attention. The ceiling paint was peeling, the caulking around the tub was stained/moldy, and the bathmat felt damp, as if it had been used by a previous guest. There is no exhaust fan in the bathroom, and it is desperately needed. The towel bar by the sink fell off the wall twice in one day. The carpet in the room didn't *look* dirty, but after walking around on it for only a minute or so, the bottoms of my white socks were very dirty. The alarm didn't work on the clock radio. Housekeeping knocked on my door around 8:30 the morning of my check-out day, even though I had the "Do Not Disturb" sign displayed. When I tried to leave my room to take some things to my car, the housekeeping cart was completely blocking my door.

On the other hand... The bed was very comfortable and the linens were clean. There was a nice-sized flat screen television with decent channel selection. The room had a small refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, iron/ironing board, and hairdryer. The location is very convenient, very close to eateries, gas stations, and stores. The free breakfast was adequate; in addition to pastries, there was fresh fruit, scrambled eggs, sausages, a make-your-own pancake or waffle station (I didn't use it, so I'm not sure which it was), bread for toasting, and various beverages. The gentleman who checked me out was very friendly and polite.

I would stay here again, because I suspect this is the cream of the crop in the area. But it's not up to the standards I typically expect of a Comfort Inn.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

This is by far the dirtiest hotel I have ever stayed in. When walking into the room, you are greeted with a very strong mold smell. At eleven at night, I decided to stay. I stopped counting at the 20 something hairs in the shower (additionally caught by bath mat) and three hairs in the sink. Their vacuum must be broke as the carpet was actually dirty with crumbs, a wire twist tie, etc. Everything kind of feels sticky. I can understand old, but not dirty and nasty. I am glad I was tired from traveling so I did sleep. The only plus, the air unit seemed to be new and actually had a digital temperature display and was quiet. Keep driving to Emporia or Suffolk for better places. Franklin seems run down.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Boston, Georgia, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I have stayed in their "standard" rooms and they look and feel like they are OLD. Old bed spreads, dark carpet. I always try to get one of their "mini suites" that consists of a couch in addition to the other normal amenities. These rooms are newer, but have recently become run down looking. The room I was in had visible soap scum on the shower walls and black mildew or mold in the caulking around the shower. The bed spread is vintage 1980's or early 90's.

all in all it was an OK hotel, and unfortunately the nicest one in the town.

Room Tip: ask for one of the rooms in the "annex" as those are their "mini suites"
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
San Rafael, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Awful. The room carpet was filthy, and torn - not recommended to go barefoot. The room was small, claustrophobic, dark, and dismal. If you left the curtain open, any / all passers by could and do, peek into your room. Not a secure feeling.
Typical "motel" arrangement with the door opening directly into the parking lot. The A/C was so loud that it felt like a 747 on take off
I moved to another room in the "annex" this was slightly better as it was on the second floor, with evidence of a recent coat of paint, and had an additional East facing window, with a view of sorts. The carpet was marginally cleaner ( still no bare feet though) and the room was slightly bigger with a basic funtional desk and lamp. The A/C was at the same decibel level with the vents fixed so that icy blasts of cold air hit the bed. I arranged the furniture to try and deflect this blast up toward the ceiling with marginal succes, to the extent of placing suitcase on the chair..
Breakfast was a joke - eggs are pre-cooked,frozen, thawed, and heated / served. Styrofoam plates and cups, plastic utensils with all the muffins etc. looking like they came from the adjacent Wal Mart. Coffee is undrinkable ( there is a Starbucks - in the Farm Fresh grocery store, two blocks left out of the "hotel" that opens at 06:00...)
The coffee pot in my room was not functional and despite 5 messages to get it fixed / replaced, it was never replaced
In the 10 days I stayed there I was never able to sleep through the night without the A/C noise keeping me constantly awake.....

Room Tip: If you NEED to stay here ask for room 235 on the second floor of the annex. It is somewhat private a...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Mattoon, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Like other reviews I NOW read, this hotel needs a major scrubbing! At first glance in the room, it doesnt look bad. Just do NOT look closely! If it wouldnt have been late at nite and the fact that we didnt want to drive the mountains at nite, we would have asked for a refund and gone elsewhere. The bed linens did seem clean and neat so we opted to stay. As I sat in a chair I noticed that the housekeeper had not vacuumed or cleaned around the baseboards for what looked like a LONG time! Dead bugs and lots of dust! Mold growing on the cord of the hairdryer, I wouldnt even use, went to the car and brought in my own. We went into the breakfast area for a cup of coffee for the road and decided to eat the breakfast after seeing that the person in charge of the kitchen had an entirely different concept of what clean is. Housekeeping should take some lessons from her as the kitchen and food service area was neat, tidy and clean. Comfort Inn, if you have any pride in ownership, you should DEFINITELY check into this hotel and revise your standards. Travelers, drive on down the road to the next town on this one!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Mentor, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

The room looked fine at first, old and outdated but acceptable. I was glad I brought my slippers as the carpet felt damp like it had just been cleaned (it didn't look dirty). the next morning as we were getting ready for funeral we discovered the real problem. The carpet was so filthy it even blackened the bottom of my daughters pajama pants not to mention the socks she had to throw away. also the "ladies" at the front desk were very rude because we had booked thru EXPEDIA not directly thru them even stating "don't.expect anything from us you booked thru EXPEDIA".

tHE OWNER SHOULD JUST SHUT DOWN.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dexter, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

At first glance, it seemed fine. The hotel room "basics" were covered....sheets ok, towels ok, etc. But good grief, the CARPET needs to be CLEANED !! Had two typical active kids, aged 2 and 6, and was forced to stay there 3 days. I couldn't relax because the kids would want to hop up on the beds after running around the carpet and their feet and socks would be BLACK within minutes!! And then, due to the longer stay, we bought some snack foods but had to hang the bags up on hangers suspended in the closet because we found cockroaches. In general, this place needs new management or just needs to not be on the Choice hotel line up. It's probably the best choice available to us in that area or I'd have gone elsewhere. I've stayed at others in other locations and they were fine.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Quality Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!