“Great Stay and Excellent Service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of IHG Army Hotels - Fort Belvoir

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fort Belvoir
IHG Army Hotels - Fort Belvoir
You added IHG Army Hotels - Fort Belvoir to your Saves list
9775 Gaillard Road, Fort Belvoir, VA   |
“Great Stay and Excellent Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Just wanted people to know about the service I received at the IHG Hotel in Fort Belvoir. From the moment I arrived I was greeted by the receptionist Erica who made me feel at home. I showed up early on Sunday and my room was ready yet but she went out of her way to insure that I got a room. I also didn't have all my paperwork on me at the time but she took care of me. She is truly a God send.

Tangy the other receptionist always greeted me with a smile and made sure I had all I needed to have to make my stay enjoyable. She gave me good tips on where to go if I needed something.

Last but not least Justin who drove the van helped me get around on post. He was there when I needed him and I want to definitely thank him for all shuttle service.

Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
Shay B, General Manager at IHG Army Hotels - Fort Belvoir, responded to this review, 3 days ago
What awesome feedback! Please know that whenever an employee gets a positive mention on Tripadvisor they receive a bonus and recognition throughout the hotel staff. We are so grateful for your comments and I have already shared them with the team. Thank you!

Couples
Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Lewes, Delaware
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed here in January, 2015 on an information gathering trip to Ft. Belvoir. Check-in is one building, our room was about a mile down the road. The overall appearance of the room was dirty and dingy. The complimentary breakfast was in still another building and very meager. In a return trip in March we stayed off-base even though it was more expensive.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
Shay B, General Manager at IHG Army Hotels - Fort Belvoir, responded to this review, 1 week ago
I am so dismayed to read your comments and more to know that you did not enjoy your stay in the slightest! We have renovated a portion of the on post hotel but do still have unrenovated product to work on. If you ever return I beg you to reach out to me so that I can make you comfortable and show you what IHG is doing.
Warmly,
shay
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2015

As other reviewers have mentioned, this facility is made up of multiple different buildings, so it's probably not fair to judge the entire operation based on a single review. However, since I am stuck here for 4 months, I was placed in one of the remote buildings out on Forney loop (buildings 505-509), I presume because these units have a kitchenette. From what I am told, the units in the main building (Knadel Hall), have been renovated to at least '90s standards, and fall under the official branding of the IHG's Holiday Inn Express label. I believe the buildings I am in do not even meet the meager standards needed to wear that designation.

First, the positives: the rooms where I am located consist of a small bedroom with a queen sized bed that is decently comfortable and has relatively modern bedding, including two types of pillows (the pillow cases include embroidering that is supposed to indicate whether the pillow is firm or soft, although they don't always seem to be placed on the correct version), two dressers, a closet with an iron, 6 hangers, and a safe (mine is nonfunctional), an old pleather BarcaLounger chair, a desk, a couple lamps, a ceiling fan, and the kitchenette includes a mini fridge, microwave, small pantry closet, two burner gas stove, sink with garbage disposal, a collection of essential cookware, dishes, and utensils, a toaster, coffee maker, and a small table with chair. The bathroom is tiny, but includes a medicine cabinet which is nice for storing toiletries, given the length of time I'll be staying here. There are two heating options (I'm here in the winter): an under window HVAC unit and a portable electric radiator, both of which do the job. There is a 32" (I'm guesstimating) flat screen LCD TV with Comcast cable including hbo, a DVD/VCR combo unit (pre-blu ray era), and wireless internet which on a good day can achieve download speeds of 4-5 Mbps, and about 0.7 Mbps up. So overall, the room is well-equipped with basic necessities and a few niceties. The front desk staff has also been excellent, and they do offer continental breakfast and weekly social events. Laundry facilities are free. There is also a fitness room, but it's in the main building.

Now the not-so-great: with the exception of the bedding and the TV, most of the standard equipment is right out of 1988. The lighting is dim, the carpet is grungy, the ugly wallpapered walls separate from the ceiling, adding to the "horror movie" ambience a previous reviewer invoked. The shower stall is made of thin plastic, and reminds me of the type of shower you might find in a recreational vehicle. Many of the white towels are dingy or stained. The whole room feels dirty, and in fact, one of the first things I did was invest in a large bottle of Clorox wipes. A few swipes on the BarcaLounger and the wipe was brown and covered in hair, food crumbs, and dirt. This may not be surprising, given that housekeeping only does two full cleanings per week. The rest of the days, they empty the trash and make the beds, and there is no service on weekends unless requested ahead of time. To their credit, the housekeepers have all been very friendly; they're probably just not sufficiently staffed to really clean the rooms like they need to be.

Another gripe: the walls are extremely thin, to the point that I can clearly hear conversations (and pretty much everything else going on) in the adjacent rooms. At one point, there was someone training a puppy next to me! To minimize this I have started running the bathroom and kitchen fans all the time so the white noise will block out some of the sound intrusion from adjacent rooms.

The cable tv signal is abysmal. The tv may be high def, but the signal it receives is awful, so it might as well be low def. You probably won't mind, though, if you are watching VHS tapes on the supplied VCR.

So in summary, the lodging is serviceable, and meets my needs, but is disappointingly outdated given all the hype about what privatized army lodging was supposed to deliver (all I see is a nicer sign outside the building). Maybe the experience would have been better in Knadel Hall, but that was never presented to me as an option, and even if it was, I probably would have declined for the simple reason that I need a kitchenette for my prolonged stay.

Short of spending the money to modernize, the rooms in buildings 505-509 are in desperate need of deep cleaning, and some nice-to-haves would include new towels (or at least retire the dingy stained ones), better lighting, more hangers in the closet, and improved tv reception.

Room Tip: If you don't need a kitchenette, request Knadel Hall. If you're in buildings 505-509, reques...
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled on business
Shay B, General Manager at IHG Army Hotels - Fort Belvoir, responded to this review, February 2, 2015
Thank you for a very thorough review and for the information regarding items we can certainly work on. Meanwhile I see you are here for a while and I want you to truly enjoy your stay. Please contact me (just call the desk at 8300 and ask for Shay) and let me make sure you are completely comfortable with us!
Dupont, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2015

First off, my family and I are not staying in the main building but put in a hold housing apartment probably from the 50's. It is behind the old hospital that looks like something out of a Horror movie. When we got to our room, there was a closet door laying on the floor... The Internet wifi rarely works and had to call a 800 number for help since it no longer works. The microwave front cover keeps falling off as well as the cubbard door under the sink. The curtains have black mold all over them so, health concerns as well. Unfortunately this was the only room available for us since they messed up our reservations twice. The front desk said reservations always does this and we should just call the front desk for help since the reservations section are useless.

• Stayed January 2015
Shay B, General Manager at IHG Army Hotels - Fort Belvoir, responded to this review, January 8, 2015
By your posting it sounds like you are still in house and staying in an as yet unrenovated portion of the hotel. I would very much like to follow up on your concerns and address any issues you are experiencing. Please contact me as soon as you are able so that I may ensure the remainder of your stay exceeds your expectation.
Berkeley Heights
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2014

I have stayed here twice. The first time was in the main hotel. It was a typical hotel. It had a full size bed. The room was clean. There was free breakfast served. The front desk was pleasant and helpful. I checked in late at night and left in the morning so I did not use nor see any of the other amenities. All in all, it was a good stay.

The second time I stayed, I was surprised that I was told to go to a different building which I was given a map to find. The building appeared to be an old barrack repurposed. There were several of these buildings used as a hotel. At one time it seemed to be 2 bedrooms connected by a small bathroom which was turned into a one bedroom suite. The bedroom had a full size bed, desk, dresser and TV. The other "bedroom" was the living area with a pull out couch, chair, TV, kitchen table, small fridge and microwave. It was old but clean. There was no official lobby, just chairs for a gathering place on the 1st floor. You had to go back to the original hotel for the breakfast.

There is a free shuttle to go anywhere on base as well as free wifi with a stay at any of the hotels. All in all, the hotels were a decent place to stay. It was nice to stay inside Ft Belvoir and not have to go through the gate every time.

Room Tip: If you think you may need the services of the front desk or use any of the amenities, I would recomm...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Mount Wolf, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2014

I stay here weekly. Rooms with shared bathrooms are extremely old. While they are clean there are many things that should be addressed. I have experienced outlets with metal stuck inside, limited lighting outside, up to 4 power strips strewn around, extremely dirty baseboards, windows open and not latched, dirty bathrooms, etc. The price is right, the beds are comfortable (pillows could be improved on), and for one or two nights a week it's doable. They do offer a quick breakfast daily and a social dinner on Wednesday which is really nice.

Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Shay B, General Manager at IHG Army Hotels - Fort Belvoir, responded to this review, November 21, 2014
While I am gratified to hear the room is clean I am so sorry that you have experienced issues that I find unacceptable. I will review them with my staff and address. Because these rooms are in an unrenovated portion of the hotel we make the price incredibly affordable. Please contact me when you return as an IHG Reward Member you can be upgraded to the renovated portion of the hotel at the same price!

Been to IHG Army Hotels - Fort Belvoir? Share your experiences!