“This is the second time...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of IHG Army Hotels - Fort Belvoir

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fort Belvoir
IHG Army Hotels - Fort Belvoir
Save Saved
You added IHG Army Hotels - Fort Belvoir to your Saves list
9775 Gaillard Road, Fort Belvoir, VA   |
Kaiserslautern, Germany
“This is the second time...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Ok, we have stayed here before. It is on post and not open to public. We stayed in the officers quarters near the OClub. These are older buildings with suites in them for families who have business on the base. We will be here for a couple of weeks while my husband works here. The rooms are ok. The furniture needs some updating. The beds are probably the best thing in the room. The shower is adequate--tiny--no room for more than once person at a time. There is a small "kitchen" with fridge, dishes, pots, coffee and microwave and a dining area to eat (if you eat in the room). There is cable television and internet (wired). No wifi here. There is one of the base pools out back and a great view of the river (if you can see through the dirty windows). I believe it is smokefree as the only smoke I smelled was someone burning their toast in another room. The walls are thin--we could easily hear the children in the suite next door. No elevators in this building, no breakfast on premise (although there is some somewhere on this post). The area is quite beautiful with large mature trees. The O-Club is right next door, but don't depend on it for dinner. There is lunch there (the views are pretty good) but don't expect to park in front of your room because those eating at the O-Club or attending events will park there (I had to park temporarily while I unloaded groceries from the car and then move it to a parking lot nearby). Additionally we have been locked out of our room several times as they keycards either are programmed wrong, the battery is dead, or some other excuse. Last night we went and exchanged keys only to get back to our room for the second time to find the new keys didn't work. We called that time and waited 20 minutes and no one had showed up. We called again and they sent someone over to give us new keys (they didn't) but did let us in our room (was it our room, they asked). Eventually they got the keys back to us. We had waited over an hour (we needed bathrooms when we started the process). It is a 15 minute drive back and forth to the Hotel main desk. And we had to go out for dinner (but had to wait for the new keys). The telephones are difficult to use, there are no directions for much of any of the equipment in the room. The hair dryer must be 20 years old. And then there was a cupboard of shoes outside our door from the next room... I don't think we will stay again. Being near Washington, there are many other hotels we can choose. I just wish they would tighten up on procedures and their services to clients. We had the same (or worse) luck last year (the AC went down last year). It is convenient to work (but not food or dining in the immediate area). With a "for profit" management company, it should be a lot better than this. Someone is getting ripped off.

Room Tip: Uh, no good tip. If you can afford to stay somewhere else, it is probably a good idea. Good luck
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Shay B, General Manager at IHG Army Hotels - Fort Belvoir, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
I am grateful for your valuable feedback and sincerely apologize for the inconveniences with the key system. While the Officer's Club suites are actually owned by the Army and are operated as an MOU for the hotel we have just completed the renovation of Knadle Hall as a Holiday Inn Express and while there are no suites I would love to invite you back to stay in that building as my guest. We are also constructing a new Staybridge Suites on site that will open next year offering brand new suites that I would invite you back to stay in once they are open.
I will review the other items you listed with my staff in order to ensure these issues do not occur again.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Leesville, Louisiana, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

Some of the most courteous manager and staff I have met in a long time, but the rooms at $139 a night smell bad, mold throughout bathroom and sofa smells like urine. My family and I were not able to stay. The staff offered several other options but at that point we were ready to leave. Hopefully after the IHG completes renovations of the military lodging it will be more User freindly.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Shay B, General Manager at IHG Army Hotels - Fort Belvoir, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
I could not be more appreciative of the compliments you have given my staff but I am saddened that your experience was not all that it could be. Yes, we are under renovation, nearly complete, but that's no excuse for what you encountered and it's unacceptable. I beg you to contact me directly and allow me an opportunity to address these issues and introduce you to our newly renovated rooms. Your feedback and decision to stay with us means everything to me and I wish you to have the best of experiences. My direct line is 703.704.8100 and I sincerely hope to hear from you soon.
GM
Woodbridge, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

We booked a room for two adults and two children a couple weeks ahead of our PCS move to D.C. When we got to the room, the AC was barely breathing in the living room, which created a musty environment (I feel sorry for people who have to stay here in the peak of summer). The pullout sofa is actually a beat up single bed with no support. When we called and asked for a roll-away, it took the front desk almost 45 mins to deliver it (I had to help carry it up the stairs). Both my kids had to sleep on mattresses on our bedroom floor because it was the only room with half-decent AC.
After spending six hours driving through rain, this is not what I wanted to come "home" to.
Do yourself a favor and look for safe bets on the economy and skip this place entirely - it is a disservice to military members and their families.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
I am more than grateful for your feedback and dismayed that we did not meet or exceed your expectations. I would really like to address the issues in the room that you stayed in to ensure the next guest does not have the same experience. I would also like to apologize personally for your experience and extend an invitation to please allow me to personally take care of you or your family or friends on the next visit to show you that this is not indicative of our entire hotel. Thank you so much for your business and for your feedback. Please email me at your convenience at shay.baranowski@ihg.com.
GM

Travelers are raving about these Fort Belvoir hotels

Federal Way, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Originally I said I did not want to stay here (I thought there is no way this can be good), then I was told this hotel was managed by the same folks that manage Holiday Inn, Candlewood etc I thought okay, those are great brands, I'm in. Not only do I wish I would have gone with my first instinct I should have looked it up on Trip Advisor before agreeing.

We are staying in a suite (umm no) we were told there was a kitchen (well... Sort of). There are two rooms connected by a broken down bathroom. The "kitchen" is a tiny microwave on a mini fridge and a bathroom sink in the living area on the other side of the room. I have dietary restrictions and always reserve a kitchenette suite so I can make some of my own meals... This is not that at all.

The most annoying thing is that if this hotel should be at about $60 TOPS for one of these un-renovated "suites".

The heating/cooling controls do not work, everything is grungy. Just gives me the willies.
We are traveling with a pet, if it were a child I would have insisted on leaving immediately. No way would I let a child crawl on this floor. You can hear everything in the hall, the elevator sort of bounces when you get in... Not a reassuring feeling at all.

The bed feels comfortable... And if you need to be on base then this is convenient but those are the only good things about this place I can see at the moment.

Military members and their families deserve better accommodation for sure. I am appalled. I am hoping things improve when all the renovations are complete, in the mean time stop telling people they are getting a suite with a kitchen. It's misleading.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Shay B, General Manager at IHG Army Hotels - Fort Belvoir, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
We are still in the process of renovating what we took over from the Army and I am so sorry about your experience! If you are still in the hotel please call me at 8100 and allow me to address these issues. Certainly renovations never happen as quickly as we want them too but I expect and demand that your room be spotless and your accommodations comfortable. If you have already departed I hope you will still contact me the next time you are in the area so that I may introduce you to a renovated product that is more in line with IHG standards.
shay
United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

We stayed here for three nights before PCSing overseas. It was a two bedroom suite with a kitchen. I've stayed in many military lodging facilities and this one was by far the worst. The living room furniture was old, which I could deal with, but it had dirt stains all over. The air conditioning units were ancient with broken controls, so it was either blowing cold damp air or no air at all. The toilet seat was not secured properly. The smell in the hallway.. I had to hold my breath every time running in and out. Mold stains on the ceiling in the kitchen! I'm glad they had WIFI, but you have to pry the login information from the front desk as they change passwords without notifying the guests. The information billboard downstairs in our unit had "helpful" information on what was going in the area in... 2011! For the money I paid ($150) a night, my family and I could have comfortably stayed in any chain hotel in the area and have modern amenities (pool, workout room, full breakfast) without being afraid to sit on a couch or walk barefoot on a carpet. I would avoid staying here at any cost. Sorry, but this is just not acceptable. This place needs major renovations.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Shay B, General Manager at IHG Army Hotels - Fort Belvoir, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
As a child of an Army Medic I read your review with dismay. Since we took over the rooms from the Army we have completed renovation in over 50% of the guest rooms and are building a brand new hotel to replace the other 50%. I can only apologize for your experience and ask that the next time you are in the area you give me a chance to show you our new rooms. We will not let you down again.
Wiesbaden, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

This place is a dump - stay someplace else! I saw some signs of an ongoing renovation in the main reception building, but our building on Forney Loop was a mismanaged mess. We stayed for 9 nights and our room was "refreshed" (new towels, trash emptied) twice in that time, never cleaned (no, not even once). We borrowed the vacuum cleaner from the maid down the hall twice during our stay so we could clean our room ourselves. According to the hotel policy, the room is supposed to be cleaned twice a week, and refreshed all other days except Sundays. When we talked to management about the total lack of cleaning, they accused us of keeping our "Do Not Disturb" sign on the doorknob - ha! Needless to say, our sign was inside the room and we kept hoping in vain for a maid to show up at our door.

We had two rooms connected by a nasty old unrenovated bathroom (this is a "suite). We had reserved a room with a full kitchen, but there was only a fridge/microwave combo in the room. When I called front desk upon discovering this, I was told, "Yeah, you and 500 other people reserved a room with a kitchen!" And the front desk person told me there was a kitchen I could use in the next building over, but I would have to get the key for it from the janitor each time I wanted to use it. Hmmm. The breakfast room and laundry room were in the building next door as well.

There was mold on the bathroom ceiling and walls, and when a neighboring guest in an adjoining room flushed their toilet, the shower water would turn ice cold, then scalding hot a few moments later. I learned to listen for the flush (it's very loud - industrial toilets can be heard through many walls!), jump out of the way of the shower water, and somehow manage not to touch the moldy shower wall during this process.

This was hands down the most disgusting place I've ever stayed in my many years of travel - the nicest word we could think of to describe the hotel was "grim". Nasty room, shoddy management, and a disservice to military members and their families.

We had intended to stay here until we could sign for housing on post, which was scheduled for a few weeks after our stay, but instead we moved into a clean, modern, suite hotel with a kitchen near the post for about the same amount of money (many of the suite hotels near post have military rates or military family rates). I suggest you do the same.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
I am so grateful for your feedback. Since we took the rooms over from the Army we have renovated nearly 50% of the property and are building a new Staybridge to replace the other 50% of the rooms which will then be given back to the Army. I am so sorry for your poor experience as we are working hard to provide a new product for our guests. I hope that the next time you are in the area you will contact me and allow me to take personal care of your stay. We will not let you down again!
Viti Levu, Fiji
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed in this property for several days as we were in the midst of relocating to this area. We have younger children, so we opted to get a suite as we would be on the property for at least a week. Our suite consisted of a bedroom, a living room with a foldout couch, and a bathroom that joined the two rooms together. There is nothing modern or updated about these rooms (except that they do have nice TVs, microwaves and a decent smaller fridge), but the rooms are always clean and have everything you need. I was also nicely surprised to see that the laundry facilities for guests are FREE! Bonus! Our suite was $109 per night, but that may differ with rank as well. We were very pleased with our stay here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at IHG Army Hotels - Fort Belvoir, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Dear dyceedo,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We value your opinion of how we hosted your stay. I am happy to read that our hotel exceeded your expectations and appreciate the positive remarks on our hotel amenities. Our goal is to make your stay the best it can be and it looks like we accomplished this. We look forward to making your next visit even more memorable. Thank you again.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to IHG Army Hotels - Fort Belvoir? Share your experiences!