“Military deserves better” 1 of 5 stars
Review of IHG Army Hotels - Fort Belvoir

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fort Belvoir
IHG Army Hotels - Fort Belvoir
Save Saved
You added IHG Army Hotels - Fort Belvoir to your Saves list
9775 Gaillard Road, Fort Belvoir, VA   |
United Kingdom
“Military deserves better”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

We stayed here for three nights before PCSing overseas. It was a two bedroom suite with a kitchen. I've stayed in many military lodging facilities and this one was by far the worst. The living room furniture was old, which I could deal with, but it had dirt stains all over. The air conditioning units were ancient with broken controls, so it was either blowing cold damp air or no air at all. The toilet seat was not secured properly. The smell in the hallway.. I had to hold my breath every time running in and out. Mold stains on the ceiling in the kitchen! I'm glad they had WIFI, but you have to pry the login information from the front desk as they change passwords without notifying the guests. The information billboard downstairs in our unit had "helpful" information on what was going in the area in... 2011! For the money I paid ($150) a night, my family and I could have comfortably stayed in any chain hotel in the area and have modern amenities (pool, workout room, full breakfast) without being afraid to sit on a couch or walk barefoot on a carpet. I would avoid staying here at any cost. Sorry, but this is just not acceptable. This place needs major renovations.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Shay B, General Manager at IHG Army Hotels - Fort Belvoir, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
As a child of an Army Medic I read your review with dismay. Since we took over the rooms from the Army we have completed renovation in over 50% of the guest rooms and are building a brand new hotel to replace the other 50%. I can only apologize for your experience and ask that the next time you are in the area you give me a chance to show you our new rooms. We will not let you down again.
Warmly,
Shay

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Wiesbaden, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

This place is a dump - stay someplace else! I saw some signs of an ongoing renovation in the main reception building, but our building on Forney Loop was a mismanaged mess. We stayed for 9 nights and our room was "refreshed" (new towels, trash emptied) twice in that time, never cleaned (no, not even once). We borrowed the vacuum cleaner from the maid down the hall twice during our stay so we could clean our room ourselves. According to the hotel policy, the room is supposed to be cleaned twice a week, and refreshed all other days except Sundays. When we talked to management about the total lack of cleaning, they accused us of keeping our "Do Not Disturb" sign on the doorknob - ha! Needless to say, our sign was inside the room and we kept hoping in vain for a maid to show up at our door.

We had two rooms connected by a nasty old unrenovated bathroom (this is a "suite). We had reserved a room with a full kitchen, but there was only a fridge/microwave combo in the room. When I called front desk upon discovering this, I was told, "Yeah, you and 500 other people reserved a room with a kitchen!" And the front desk person told me there was a kitchen I could use in the next building over, but I would have to get the key for it from the janitor each time I wanted to use it. Hmmm. The breakfast room and laundry room were in the building next door as well.

There was mold on the bathroom ceiling and walls, and when a neighboring guest in an adjoining room flushed their toilet, the shower water would turn ice cold, then scalding hot a few moments later. I learned to listen for the flush (it's very loud - industrial toilets can be heard through many walls!), jump out of the way of the shower water, and somehow manage not to touch the moldy shower wall during this process.

This was hands down the most disgusting place I've ever stayed in my many years of travel - the nicest word we could think of to describe the hotel was "grim". Nasty room, shoddy management, and a disservice to military members and their families.

We had intended to stay here until we could sign for housing on post, which was scheduled for a few weeks after our stay, but instead we moved into a clean, modern, suite hotel with a kitchen near the post for about the same amount of money (many of the suite hotels near post have military rates or military family rates). I suggest you do the same.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
I am so grateful for your feedback. Since we took the rooms over from the Army we have renovated nearly 50% of the property and are building a new Staybridge to replace the other 50% of the rooms which will then be given back to the Army. I am so sorry for your poor experience as we are working hard to provide a new product for our guests. I hope that the next time you are in the area you will contact me and allow me to take personal care of your stay. We will not let you down again!
Warmly,
Shay

Travelers are raving about these Fort Belvoir hotels

Viti Levu, Fiji
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed in this property for several days as we were in the midst of relocating to this area. We have younger children, so we opted to get a suite as we would be on the property for at least a week. Our suite consisted of a bedroom, a living room with a foldout couch, and a bathroom that joined the two rooms together. There is nothing modern or updated about these rooms (except that they do have nice TVs, microwaves and a decent smaller fridge), but the rooms are always clean and have everything you need. I was also nicely surprised to see that the laundry facilities for guests are FREE! Bonus! Our suite was $109 per night, but that may differ with rank as well. We were very pleased with our stay here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at IHG Army Hotels - Fort Belvoir, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Dear dyceedo,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We value your opinion of how we hosted your stay. I am happy to read that our hotel exceeded your expectations and appreciate the positive remarks on our hotel amenities. Our goal is to make your stay the best it can be and it looks like we accomplished this. We look forward to making your next visit even more memorable. Thank you again.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare
NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

The IHG Army Hotels have about 3 different complexes on Ft. Belvoir. The main address and nicest accommodations are at 9775 Gaillard Road. However, if you're on orders, you may have to accept the $55/night rooms located in Bldg. 80 or 81. These are OK and are located right near the Officer's Club. The cons are that you will have to share a shower and toilet with a neighboring room. Usually, these buildings don't fill up so you may end up having the bathroom all to yourself. The building looks like it's a renovated college dormitory...it's clean and has a fridge and microwave, satellite TV and internet BUT it's not really modern. I had recurring issues with the satellite TV because reception was spotty. Overall, I would say that I had an average stay and that I did like the fact that I was on post and didn't have to deal with the traffic on the Richmond Highway each morning.

Room Tip: Rooms with a private bath will cost extra.