“Just OK” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 32 restaurants in Forest
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Bar
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Forest VA
“Just OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Not the best and not the worst. There isn't much to choose from in this part of VA so by comparison Bejamins is OK. Service is good and the beat food is on the Sunday brunch menu. The outdoor seating is good in the spring and fall. During the summer, it's too hot and humid to be outside.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
BenjaminMcGehee, Owner at Benjamin's, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Thank you for your recent trip to Benjamin's. We strive to make every customers experience their best ever. I will share your feedback with the entire staff, and we will work hard to be better than just ok. Please let me know the next time you are dining with us and I will personally make your experience perfect.
Thank you.

74% Recommend
Honea Path, South Carolina
“Best Benedikt!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Went to Benjamin's Sunday for brunch. Three of us ordered the Benjamin's Benedikt and one of us ordered the Chicken and Waffles. The crabcakes added to the Benedikt is a very nice touch. You can tell they use fresh ingredients. The eggs were cooked perfectly and they give you 2 of them, not just one like most places. The chicken and waffles were great as well. The chicken was crispy and still juicy. The waffles were perfect. I thought the price for our meals was appropriate for the quality. Our server was very sweet. My only slight disappointment was that we did not get waited on for about 10 minutes after we were seated. I was getting thirsty. I saw 6 tables with guests and 3 servers. By my calculations we should have been able to get a server sooner. If it weren't for that initial lag in service, I would have given this place a perfect review. Hopefully they will read this and correct that issue.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
BenjaminMcGehee, Owner at Benjamin's, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Thank you very much for visiting Benjamin's for brunch, and the kind words. I also want to thank you for the feedback on the service. We constantly strive to give the best service anywhere, and can only get better with feedback like this.
We hope to see you soon.
Ben
“Don't let the outside fool you!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Dined there last night with friends. They were featuring bold rock cider, made in Virginia, drafts. Cold, crisp and hints of apple. Very tasty. The live music was just a smidgen too loud on the outside patio where we ate, but was tasteful.
Our server, Charlotte, was delightful and efficient. She described all the specials very well and even found us some of the tasty corn muffins for some at our table to try. Highly recommend you go back to serving some bread with the meals, good bread is expected at those prices. I should mention that very nice crusty toast points were served in our mussels and my pasta dish. My husbands lamb chop special was the best meal served at the table. Perfectly crusted and cooked, excellent job. My oyster chowder was creamy and full of potatoes. I had the seafood pasta special, there was substantial crabmeat but more sausage than anything. Was fine, but I would not order again.
Dessert tray was beautiful and such a fabulous touch when bringing that table side. I had the croissant bread pudding, full of layers and chocolate. I asked Charlotte for some whip cream, which she most obligingly brought. Was very rich, needed some sort of cream to break it up.
Excellent meal, excellent service. Can't wait to return! We did spend some $$$$ but we came there to eat and drink and we did.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
BenjaminMcGehee, Owner at Benjamin's, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thank you very much for the great review. We appreciate your kind words and support. Please introduce yourself the next time you're in so I can personally thank you.
Take care.
Williamsburg, Virginia
“Don't Judge the Cover”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

You probably would drive by this place thinking, what a dive. But don't! Our group enjoyed a pleasant evening here.
We came for a casual business meal, starting with drinks appetizer. Steamed shrimp - a pound for three of us was perfect. And tasty. Good to have choices that are not all breaded. Two of our party enjoyed local beers. My first Grey Goose Cosmo was delicious; the second a a bit too much vodka but still nice (nice sized cocktails, by the way).
Three of us had main entrees, with salads. Mine was Caesar, just the right amount of shaved Parmesan and a light coat of dressing. My entree was pan-seared scallops over garlicy wilted spinach and it was delicious. When my food arrived the scalloped looked a bit over-done but they were not - wonderful texture and flavor from the sauce and greens. Side veggies were also good.
Two of my group had the tenderloin filet and another had a creation which was no longer on the menu but was made for him (based on his recollection from a previous visit). A "Dam-burger" (or is it "damn" burger) - two patties, bacon, cheese, a grilled cheese sandwich in between, fries, lettuce, tomoato - I guess anything one could find to throw on a burger stacked 12" high! It was a sight - and even had a side of fries. Carb coma, but he loved it. No one was complaining about the food, everything was cooked as ordered.
Some of us enjoyed dessert - white chocolate raspberry cheesecake and rasperry-chocolate lava cake (mine). This was just a little sweeter and a little less chocolately than I prefer, and it was HOT (most I guess get a scoop of ice cream on top to counter this). I split this with one in our group since I was so stuffed from the rest of the food. I do wish they would use smaller plates for the desserts as well (the large dinner plates weren't necessary and at some point over-crowd the table).
We came on a Tuesday night, and there was a decent crowd here, about half-filled. Many folks sat outside but we didn't want to be eaten up by the gnats. Our server was sweet and prompt and very helpful. Atmosphere inside is rustic/seafare-ecclectic; single-stall bathrooms, so if you come on a more crowded weekend night (they have live music on the deck then), be warned.
My only other wish is that their website was a bit more up-to-date......more on the menus (drinks, appetizers, dinners, lunches) than is on the web, etc. But don't let that stop you from giving Benjamin's a try.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
BenjaminMcGehee, Owner at Benjamin's, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thank you for your recent visit to Benjamin's and your kind words. We strive to make every customer visit their best ever! Your feedback helps us get better everyday.
We look forward to serving you soon.
Forest, Virginia
“Mixed Reviews”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Hadn't eaten at Benjamin's for over a year, decided to stop by last Saturday since it's close to home. Reviews are decidedly mixed - we had the seafood platter, with clam strips, crab cakes, salmon cakes, monkfish and hush puppies. All were pretty good, except for the salmon cakes, which were so salty they were almost inedible. House salad was pretty good, real bacon strips, not just bits, but the lettuce was wilted. Service, as always, was quick, friendly, and knowledgeable. Can't highly recommend, but will go back again, especially if they have soft shell crabs on the menu.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
BenjaminMcGehee, Owner at Benjamin's, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thank you for coming back to Benjamin's. I also want to thank you for your honest feedback. We strive everyday to improve our quality of food and service, and find new ways to give the best dining experience to our customers.
We look forward to serving you again soon.
Benjamin

Been to Benjamin's? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Benjamin's, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.