“Birthday Celebration Spoiled” 2 of 5 stars

287 Winery Road SW, Floyd, VA 24091
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Chateau Morrisette is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 23 restaurants in Floyd
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Black Ridge Road
Staten Island, New York
“Birthday Celebration Spoiled”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Eight of us traveled from across the country for a 91st birthday celebration. After waiting for a while we were told that their system showed the reservations for the following day and there was absolutely nothing they could do to accommodate us - could not come back later in the day, could not find any room anywhere for eight people. But they would honor our erroneous Sunday reservation on Sunday! After 30 - 40 minutes of getting nowhere with the manager we left. We then took a chance in the closest town on a Saturday evening and tables were immediately rearranged to accommodate our group. I have no idea how the food is at Chateau Moririsette but the service is very disappointing.

81% Recommend
Charlotte, NC
“Not as good as it used to be”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

We have been going to Chateau Morrisette 4 or 5 times per year for the past 12 years, while the service has been very good the food quality seems to be declining on each successive visit, while the prices keep rising. On our last visit the service was okay, the food passable, the prices up significantly, out of proportion to the serving sizes, the bread bland and like stale hamburger buns. They used to serve great crusty herb bread. Other than that the drive up is scenic, as is the setting if the winery. They appear to be in need of new, and experienced hospitality management.

Upon entering the restaurant the hostess asked if she could help us, welcome to Chateau Morrisette would have been much more appropriate.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Advance, North Carolina, United States
“Very disappointed.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

I was very disappointed with the entire experience!! My family & I went up for lunch, seated immediately, then waited 1/2 hr for our waiter to even greet us. We had appetizers, a meal & dessert. It actually took an hour in between each course!! We started at noon & finished at 330p!! The catfish was soggy, the cheese fondue was cold, the BLT had 1 fried tomato & one red (???), the steak had no flavor & our waiter let our wine glasses sit empty for over 45 minutes each time!! Then went over to the winery & they must of have the AC set at 80 degrees. It was swampy & humid with WAYYYYY too many ppl in there. We couldn't even get to the bar to sample it was so jam packed. We got a refund & went to Lowe's to get our wine!!! Thank goodness the Blue Ridge Parkway & the company was up to par!! Don't think we'll return! I'll stick to North State Winery in Mt Airy!! Service & wine are fabulous!!!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Roanoke, Virginia
“Poor Service and Needs a Good Cleaning!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

You would expect a place like this to have great service, but you'd be disappointed. I was.

My boyfriend and I went on a Blue Ridge Parkway trip for an anniversary and decided to lunch at the Chateau. When we arrived around 12:30, we were the only people in the lobby and there were few patrons scattered through the two dining areas.

We were greeted when we first arrived, but then, the phone rang. The young man serving as host opted to direct us to "stand by the fireplace" while he took the call. Apparently, the caller needed a whole host of information which the young man did not have, because he kept putting the caller on hold, disappearing, and then coming back and picking the phone back up. SO, finally, this call ends and in walks a group of people who the young man then focuses his attention on and this group are seated. (They had a reservation which they were late for, and we were walk-in customers, so maybe the policy is to give the reservation guests better service. ??)

By this time, we have been standing "by the fire" a good 12 minutes or so. Finally, the host comes back and says he will seat us. He made a bit of small talk on the way to the table, and I think was picking up on our annoyance. I was ready to just let it go and get on with our special lunch, though. He parted, saying our waitress would be with us "when she can". That didn't bode well. A young man came and filled our water glasses, and though we saw him darting about for the rest of our meal, he was a "one and done" kind of guy. He never stopped back by to refill.

My menu was missing the page that actually had the food listed on it, so my boyfriend tried to hurry to make his choice so that I could look over his menu. Turns out, we needn't have worried. By the time the waitress finally got around to our table, we had decided on an appetizer and our lunch entrees and ordered both at once.

While waiting for our appetizer (fried green tomatoes, which were delicious, the best part of the meal) I decided to scoot my chair in some as I was sitting far back from the table, but something was preventing me. Looking under the table, I noticed we were seated directly over a large heating vent with lots of dead spiders inside. Nice. It was especially nice when the heater turned on and blew a small bug up onto the table. The whole restaurant had a kind of grungy feel to it, dusty and just generally unkempt looking.

After receiving our app, and finishing it off with no water, we sat and waited for our food. And waited. And waited. At this point we realize we have to modify the rest of our plans because this lunch has taken so long. I don't mind leisurely service at a nice place, as long as it's attentive. This was not the case here. We literally waited so long between app and entree that I wasn't even hungry anymore when the food finally arrived.

The entrees were brought out by a blonde lady, perhaps the kitchen manager or just a manager, who was very polite and noticed our glasses were empty. She said she would send the young man back by to refill them, but ended up coming back and refilling them herself. She was the only staff member there who didn't treat us like they were doing us a favor by doing their job. My entree (the ham and brie panini-not a panini, just a sandwich, btw) was ok. The black dog jam on it was good. The sweet potato salad was bland. My boyfriend enjoyed his burger, though it was rarer than he'd asked for. We both really liked the blackberry barbeque sauce and were disappointed they didn't sell it at the adjoining winery gift shop.

After eating, it had been almost almost 2 hours since we first arrived at the Chateau, so we had our credit card ready and waiting when the waitress brought our check. Didn't feel like waiting another 10 minutes for her to come back by to pick up the card. As we left, the host called out to us, "Hope it was worth the wait!" and decorum prevented me from saying my true feelings, as other unsuspecting patrons were standing there waiting for a table.

This place was truly disappointing. We had been to a chain Italian restaurant the night before and received excellent service (which I passed on on the company website) and I was very excited to try this place which I had heard so much about. I'm not sure if it's went downhill or what, but I won't go back, and I will recommend my friends and fellow travelers to traverse down the Parkway just a bit and eat at the Mabry Mill restaurant instead. I sure wish we had!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Highland, California
“We left hungry”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

We arrived promptly for our reservation and were taken to the outdoor area (which we had requested). We were being seated in the shade and asked if we could sit at an empty table in the sun, but were told there would be quite a wait for service at that table. When seated in the shade we were served water and bread which was quite good. After sitting for 15 minutes we asked a waitress if she could find our waiter, which she said she would do. She passed by again and said she had alerted our waiter. No one came to our table to take our drink order and after waiting another 15 minutes (30 minutes total) we left. I've never had such poor service as this at a restaurant before. Will never go back!!!

Visited October 2013