“Very convenient get-away for local family” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Falls Church
McLean, Virginia
“Very convenient get-away for local family”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

On Thursday July 3rd Hurricane Arthur hit northern Virginia late in the afternoon, knocking out power in our neighborhood and prompting me to search for a local hotel when there was no indication as to when our electricity would get restored. As an SPG Gold member I immediately confirmed availability at the Westin Tysons Corner and after throwing a few things into our suitcases, we packed up and were on our way.

This Westin is not located on a particularly attractive stretch of road - it's on a busy local artery, Route 7, and is very close to the Capital Beltway - however it was a short drive from our home and is obviously a convenient location for the business people who frequent it. At check-in I was able to confirm that I could get an upgrade room (despite only paying $79 for the night) and we were given room 207, a Westin work-out suite with two rooms, a treadmill, balance ball, weights, and pilates/yoga DVD. It was quite spacious and clean, and the bedding, towels and amenities were all the stellar Westin quality that characterizes this brand. The shower had both rainfall and more traditional shower heads.

A few slightly negative observations that did not affect our enjoyment of the room, but might annoy others: the veneer of the coffee table in the
living room was puckered in multiple places, as if water had been repeatedly spilled on it; there was peeling paint (a small amount; could be very easily fixed) on the ceiling of the bathroom; and the exhaust fan in the bathroom did not work - so it was a little difficult to remove the humidity after a shower, which undoubtedly has contributed to the peeling paint problem. Oh, and the room was right by both the elevators - which were quiet - and the ice machine, which was only noisy a few times when other guests needed to use it (but other than that the machine was very quiet.)

I used the treadmill in the room and found it very nice, if a bit loud, and the workout room on the lower level, which was well-appointed and clean.

We did not eat dinner at the hotel but did visit the Westin's Starbucks in the lobby, where we had excellent lattes and baked goods. I also sampled the fruit-infused water in the lobby (another lovely Westins attradition) and it was excellent. In fact the only thing I missed in the lobby was the Westins aloe and white tea scent diffuser, which I love.

All in all a very nice, if unexpected, stay. Check-in and check-out went smoothly and the few staff we spoke with were delightful. We'll be sure to return if we have any more unexpected power outages, and I would definitely recommend this hotel for folks coming to the area who want to be near the malls or family in northern Virginia.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
gmres1, General Manager at The Westin Tysons Corner, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Thank you for your loyalty to Starwood Preferred Guest Program and for writing a review about your stay. I am glad we were able to accommodate you during the Hurricane and the room upgrade that was provided for you and your family. Service is of utmost importance to all of us at Westin Tysons Corner and I’m pleased you found our accommodations and guest services to be satisfactory. I hope to see you back under better circumstances on your next visit!!
Mark N.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Troy, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

Everything a Westin should have. Front desk named Estela is extremely helpful. She give me all the platinum perks although i'm just turned gold.
The hotel is at extreme value for holiday stays, definitely recommend.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
gmres1, General Manager at The Westin Tysons Corner, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this fantastic review about Westin Tysons Corner.
I will be sure to share your comments with Estela and the rest of the hotel team.
We look forward to your return and welcoming you back on your next visit to Westin Tysons Corner.
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

My significant other and I wanted to get away for a weekend and stay close. I figured we would try The Westin in Tysons since it is relatively close to our home. The shopping malls and restaurants were in close proximity as well. Upon our arrival I was greeted with a lovely and accommodating smile from the front desk personnel, Frances Roberts. She was considerate and extremely helpful. We asked for an upgrade (a bigger room), they were not able to accommodate that request; but we were given a free breakfast and a lovely note with a small gift that was left in our room, after our room size refrigerator was delivered. The front desk supervisor, Ifra Ali also called to check on us to see if there was anything we needed. We were treated like royalty. I could not believe how the staff followed up with us to see if there was anything else we needed or wanted. We will definitely go back for another get away in the near future.

Room Tip: If you want a bigger room you should request a suite.
Green Features: They had a recyclable bin in our room. Wonderful!!!!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
I thank you for your lovely sentiments about our wonderful staff Frances and Ifra. I will be sure to share your comments with the hotel team.
Best regards,
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I usually enjoy a great stay at this hotel once or twice a year. However, I did have an issue this time. The room was clean and neat. I continue to appreciate the free shuttle service available here. I always ask for a feather free room. This time there were 2 pillows at the foot of the bed and 4 other pillows on each bed. Which ones have feathers? It was hard to tell. I experienced allergy issues so assumed there must have been feathers in the pillows or comforter. I mentioned the issue daily to the staff. I stayed for 3 nights and the last night was the only night feather free. Of course by then, the allergy symptoms were already in full swing! The last night housekeeping came to the room and looked at each pillow and sure enough at least 5 had to be removed due to feathers. This was very disappointing since my previous stays have always been so wonderful. The only compensation given was 2000 extra points. While the points were nice, it doesn't make up for horrible allergy symptoms and lack of sleep during my stay.

Room Tip: If you need a feather free room, you may need to ask housekeeping to come and inspect the room while...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
gmres1, Manager at The Westin Tysons Corner, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
We want to thank you for being our guest once again and offer my sincere and personal apologies for the defect you encountered. This is definitely not the type of service we want to provide to our guests and I want to assure you that we are addressing our shortfall.
As one of our loyal guest I want you to continue considering our hotel during your visits to the area and I would love to hear from you at your convenience for any further assistance I can personally offer .
Once again please accept my sincere and personal apologies and I would love to hear from you at your convenience,

Mehmet Bahtiyar ,
Director of Operations
Tonbridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

Stayed in June on business for 11 days.

Placed on the main highways heading into Arlington, DC and Georgetown from the west. Leesburg Pike and Falls Church looks to be an up and coming area with a large new shopping mall and plenty of eateries nearby. Also, it is close to the metro line starting from Vienna and Fairfax.

The hotel itself is relatively small for Westin standards (especially compared to the huge Westin in Chicago O'Hare) but is well appointed. I stayed in one of their fitness suites which was quite a pleasant surprise.

The suite itself looks relatively dated but still quite functional (i.e. everything works, no obvious marks or wear and tear). The running machine does make a lot of noise but I got used to it when pounding the miles at 7am in the morning. I'm not sure whoever was staying next door to me was as pleased as I was!

Sleep was assured thanks to the Westin beds which are excellent everywhere. I was disappointed in the bathroom as it doesn't have the heavenly bath I'm used to at other Westin hotels like the Velachery in Chennai.

I didn't use the bar or the restaurant so can't comment on them really.

Staff were excellent and happy to help at every opportunity which was great.

The gym was good with some of the latest machinery to help keep you interested in losing the flab. However the pool was only open in the evenings which was annoying as I value a morning swim.

All in all a perfectly fine Westin hotel yet I wonder if its missing a major refit to bring it up to date with other Westin hotels elsewhere in the world. For all the site of the suite, I think some of the space was wasted with small bathroom. It should have been bigger with a proper heavenly bath.

Room Tip: If you've booked a suite, ask for a fitness suite.
Green Features: Their initiative for awarding SPG points for not asking for replacement towels is excellent.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your review; we value your feedback tremendously. We’d like all guest stays to be perfect and are saddened yours was not. We take enormous pride in our staff, service and location as well as in our product. We're pleased to share that property enhancements are in progress. In fact, we have just completed the renovation of our elevators and lobby carpeting and we have further enhancements planned for the future. It’s our great hope that you will enjoy the results and give The Westin Tysons Corner another opportunity to impress you. Thank you again for your business and feedback.
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

The Westin Tyson's Corner is everything I could expect from a great hotel. I stayed 1 night, and that was all I needed to get a great vibe from this hotel. The lobby is well decorated, and there are multiple elevators so you don't have to wait forever to go up to your room. The room accommodations are very nice and I enjoyed the starbucks coffee right from the room. The shower is very nice with the faucet falling like water from above. My bed was very comfortable and I fell asleep very quickly. The location of the hotel is great, just around the corner from the mall, and 2 miles away from the orangle line (West Falls Church Metro Station) that can take you straight into downtown DC.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
I appreciate your review of our Hotel. I was pleased that you took advantage some of our wonderful amenities at the hotel such as the heavenly Bed, Starbucks Coffee, remodeled elevators, and our newly installed rain shower during your visit at The Westin Tysons Corner. We look forward to your next visit very soon.
Mark N
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

We stayed at the Westin as we were attending a wedding at the hotel.The staff was great and very helpful! They were providing complementary water bottles whenever requested. They even allowed me to heat up food in the microwave after-hours.

The room and bed was comfortable. I stayed in a Standard King-Size bedroom. My only gripe about the hotel was it was a little too standard, which is something I would not expect from a Westin. The hallways in the hotel feel outdated.

All in all, it was a great stay and the staff was terrific!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
gmres1, General Manager at The Westin Tysons Corner, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
We really appreciate the great review of the Westin Tysons Corner. Our staff cares about giving each guest a memorable experience and I am pleased that you enjoyed the service and your time at The Westin Tysons Corner. We look forward to your next visit very soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Falls Church
Hyatt House Falls Church
#1 of 17 in Falls Church
4.5 of 5 stars 229 reviews
Falls Church Marriott Fairview Park

Been to The Westin Tysons Corner? Share your experiences!