On Thursday July 3rd Hurricane Arthur hit northern Virginia late in the afternoon, knocking out power in our neighborhood and prompting me to search for a local hotel when there was no indication as to when our electricity would get restored. As an SPG Gold member I immediately confirmed availability at the Westin Tysons Corner and after throwing a few things into our suitcases, we packed up and were on our way.
This Westin is not located on a particularly attractive stretch of road - it's on a busy local artery, Route 7, and is very close to the Capital Beltway - however it was a short drive from our home and is obviously a convenient location for the business people who frequent it. At check-in I was able to confirm that I could get an upgrade room (despite only paying $79 for the night) and we were given room 207, a Westin work-out suite with two rooms, a treadmill, balance ball, weights, and pilates/yoga DVD. It was quite spacious and clean, and the bedding, towels and amenities were all the stellar Westin quality that characterizes this brand. The shower had both rainfall and more traditional shower heads.
A few slightly negative observations that did not affect our enjoyment of the room, but might annoy others: the veneer of the coffee table in the
living room was puckered in multiple places, as if water had been repeatedly spilled on it; there was peeling paint (a small amount; could be very easily fixed) on the ceiling of the bathroom; and the exhaust fan in the bathroom did not work - so it was a little difficult to remove the humidity after a shower, which undoubtedly has contributed to the peeling paint problem. Oh, and the room was right by both the elevators - which were quiet - and the ice machine, which was only noisy a few times when other guests needed to use it (but other than that the machine was very quiet.)
I used the treadmill in the room and found it very nice, if a bit loud, and the workout room on the lower level, which was well-appointed and clean.
We did not eat dinner at the hotel but did visit the Westin's Starbucks in the lobby, where we had excellent lattes and baked goods. I also sampled the fruit-infused water in the lobby (another lovely Westins attradition) and it was excellent. In fact the only thing I missed in the lobby was the Westins aloe and white tea scent diffuser, which I love.
All in all a very nice, if unexpected, stay. Check-in and check-out went smoothly and the few staff we spoke with were delightful. We'll be sure to return if we have any more unexpected power outages, and I would definitely recommend this hotel for folks coming to the area who want to be near the malls or family in northern Virginia.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A tranquil oasis residing beside our nation's capital, The Westin Tysons Corner is close to many Fortune 500 companies as well as fine shopping, dining, museums, Jiffy Lube Arena and Wolf Trap. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Booking.com, Expedia, Starwood, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your The Westin Tysons Corner reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Westin Tyson`s Corner Hotel Falls Church
- Westin Hotel Tysons Corner
- Westin Falls Church
- Falls Church Westin