“Acceptable place but could use an upgrade” 3 of 5 stars

Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Falls Church
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Boston
“Acceptable place but could use an upgrade”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

It has been 18 months since I stayed here. The lobby has been remodeled and is nice, but not much else has been upgraded. First, let's talk about the positives. The service staff is friendly and helpful. Free parking. Spacious guest rooms with most modern technology needed to do some work. The bathroom in the guestroom seems to be relatively new and were clean, but was small. The bed was comfortable. The bar is a good place to hang out for a drink or dinner. The fitness center is decent, better than the Marriott but not as nice as the nearby Hilton or Ritz. But, good enough to get a decent workout. Free Starbucks coffee in the room. The breakfast buffet is excellent.
Now for the negatives. The guest rooms are loud, you can hear the traffic from the highway and the ice maker across the hall sounds like a jet engine. The elevators are slow and dated. The carpets and walls in the hallways and guestrooms are dingy and old, possibly 15+ years old.
In summary, this is an OK to stay for a couple days on business. The service and food is excellent, everything else is average. A little disappointing for a Westin property.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't face the highway. And as far away from the ice maker as possible,
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Mike C, General Manager at The Westin Tysons Corner, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Thank you for staying with us recently and taking the time to share your comments. We value your feedback. From the sound of the review, it appears overall you enjoyed your experience here at the Westin Tysons Corner. Your description of our facilities was accurate and detailed, and, I was particularly pleased with your comments regarding the staff. I was glad to know you found our rooms clean and accommodating. Your comments concerning the noise from the highway, the ice machines and the elevators, I am happy to report that the construction for the new E-Z pass is at its final stages and December 5th is the Grand opening. The ice machines are placed on silent mode from early evening till late morning and our elevators are presently going complete design and modernization with minimum guest inconvenience as top priority. In the interim, I realize that this is not ideal and appreciate your patience and understanding. Thanks again for choosing to stay with us. I would welcome the opportunity to personally look after your accommodations in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Salisbury, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Stayed here one night for a mid-week work conference. This room was what I expected for this chain of hotels, things were ok except for what I saw in the vent in the bathroom (see picture). Also, the room (212) was located right next to HVAC equipment on a roof right next to it, constant noise from the units all night long. The extremely comfortable bed was the only saving grace for me at the price that they charge for during the week.

Room Tip: Aim for a higher room for less chance of exterior noise.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Mike C, General Manager at The Westin Tysons Corner, responded to this review, October 7, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write and share feedback from your most recent stay. Our guest feedback is important to us as often times it may pinpoint an area of needed focus and attention.

Please accept our apologies for the issues you addressed about room 212 during your time spent with us. This is certainly not the Westin experience we aim to provide our guests and I am truly sorry this happened to you. I have notified our team so that we may look further into these issues. Our goal is to provide our guests with a memorable and enjoyable experience from start to finish and we are truly sorry that we did not carry out this promise.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012 via mobile

I generally like Westins which is why I have a SPG Amex. They tend to have some style and quality appointments. Not this Westin. My room defined cookie cutter banality and was dated, the hallway carpet on my Starwood Preferred floor was soiled, traffic noice was prevalent, and overall, the place was unpleasantly smelly. In spite of those "issues", I might have been ok if, when I opened the honor bar, I found some snacks. Nope. Empty. When I went to the lobby to ask why, I was told "we don't do that anymore.". So, in effect this hotel is about two steps below an average Holiday Inn. Perhaps it's time to badge this down to a lower end SPG because it's clearly not a real Westin. One positive note: the staff with whom I interacted were all very courteous and professional.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear hll55,
Thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to Tysons Corner and thank you also for having taken the time to complete this on line guest satisfaction review. We are sorry to learn that we have missed our opportunity to impress you while we had a chance to do so, especially with what you are used to get from the Westin promise. Please accept our most sincere apologies for this negative experience and we do hope that we will have a chance to redeem ourselves at some stage, when next you decide to visit Tysons area.
May I also take this opportunity to thank you for the compliments on our staff. Please contact us directly should your travel plans bring you back to Tysons, so we can make sure, that we will not fail you again the next time around.
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

The hotel itself (rooms, bar, lobby) are nice, just like I would expect from a westin. The service was terrible. I was here with a wedding and made 2 separate reservations, one 6 months ago with the wedding party for Saturday night and one 5 days before my stay at a regular rate for Sunday. When I checked in they told me they only had one reservation for my second night. I assured them that I definitely had a reservation to which they said "well it is not in our system". Good thing I have an iPad and could pull up the email confirmation they sent me a week ago. Again they said that the confirmation number in the email they sent me with my name on it, had a different name attached to it. It was a process that took 2 of them to figure out and then apparently they just changed the name attached to the confirmation number back to mine. That probably means some poor guy is going to have the same problem I had. They also told us that we had free wifi when we checked in only for us to call down stairs when it said we were going to be charged. They said that due to the rate we paid, we were not eligible. Ummm... We paid a ton for this room! We called back and they said if you book through a third party you are also not eligible. The problem with that is that I made both my reservations through westin directly. It's been a frustrating experience! Additionally, we ordered dessert room service and it was the worst creme brûlée possible.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

This hotel is luxury without the price tag! The service was excellent, politeness and very welcoming staff! The rooms were very comfortable and stylish. The dual shower heads were "heavenly". The pool and jacuzzi was a great time! Whenever in the DC area this is the hotel I'll be staying at- guaranteed!
Ps ... Starbucks coffee and tea in the rooms :)

• Stayed September 2012
Mike C, General Manager at The Westin Tysons Corner, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear Aknj930,
We are delighted that we contributed to your comfort away from home and in making the visit to our Nation's Capital such a joy. Thank you for your very kind words and look forward on serving you again in the near future.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Stayed here for one night on a quick trip to Falls Church. Staff was very nice. Rooms were decently furnished but the hotel itself could use an update. The halls, walls, showers, closets, etc. are looking tired and need to be renovated. Food for breakfast in the restaurant was ok but not great.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear Jason J,
Thank you for your feedback. We strive to create an exceptional experience for our guests, but clearly we did not meet your expectations. Please accept my sincerest apologies. We are glad to let you know that we are continuously updating the products of our hotel with minimum guest disruption. We hope to have your complete satisfaction by the time you visit us again.
Henley in Arden, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012 via mobile

The staff where very good and extreamly helpful but the infrastructure is looking a bit old and certainly not as good as some Westin's are. I had good conditioning but it was very noisy and my room overlooked a busy road that I could clearly hear traffic all night long. A good bed and an OK desk. After seeing a work colleague's hotel / room would recommend the Ritz if you could get a comparible price although this week it was fully booked out

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear NigelP99,
Thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to the Tysons Corner area and thank you also for having taken the time to complete this on line guest satisfaction review. We are sorry to learn that we have missed our opportunity to impress you while we had a chance to do so, especially with the promised quite room. Please accept our most sincere apologies for this unacceptable experience and we do hope that we will have a chance to redeem ourselves at some stage when visit the Tysons Corner again.

Been to The Westin Tysons Corner? Share your experiences!