“Fiasco at breakfast” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Falls Church
New York City, New York
“Fiasco at breakfast”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

This was your typical suburban Marriott, a bit dated but complete with why you expect. We requested early check in, high floor and extra towels, none of which were available. Not really an issue, room service for dinner was prompt and acceptable quality. The issue was with the morning breakfast. They stopped seating people in the main dining room to get ready for their Easter brunch. The problem was they failed to tell anyone this and the line outside the sign that said "please wait to be seated" grew longer and longer but there was no hostess, manager or representative from the restaurant available. After waiting a half hour I went to the front desk to ask what was happening as there were tons of free tables but no one was being seated. She told me they were closing the dining room or the Easter brunch. Wow, how unprofessional and rude to have guests standing around without any notice. We went back to the line and was told by the wait staff to just grab a table in the lounge. We did this and to our surprise the restaurant manager, who was missing in action the entire time, came by to complain at us that we were supposed to wait in line as if we weren't for the last 35 minutes. Thank goodness for a competent front desk representative who agreed to give us a credit for the breakfast portion of our package so we could eat elsewhere. Needless to say not the Easter breakfast we had hoped for and shocked at the lack of planning and communication on the part of the restaurant management. I expected more professionalism from the Marriott.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Missoula, Montana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Only downside to stay was the amount of groups that stayed. High school tours three nights and large convention going on rest of time with different tour groups in and out. So noisy. And with large groups elevators were often packed with waiting line. Very good food at hotel and service was prompt. Manager on duty was very courteous.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

My worse Marriott experience EVER. My family and I drove 4.5 hours from NC arriving here almost at 2 am, only to find out they didn't have any double bed rooms left (note I made reservations way ahead of time). So we were force to get a king bed room with a family of 4 adults. We asked them for 2 roll out beds which they couldn't do, we asked them for extra blankets which they couldn't do. We were exhausted and tired from our drive and were hoping to get a good night sleep but it was not the case. Melissa from the front desk that night was extremely unhelpful, unfriendly and rude.We will never stay at this location ever again.

• Stayed April 2012
FVPM, General Manager at Falls Church Marriott Fairview Park, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your disappointment with your stay. I am very sorry to see that we did not take very good care of you on this stay. We certainly would like to try to "make it right" and I hope that you will contact us directly so that we may do so.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

Hotel is great, 20 minutes to D. C., quiet treed area. Has been renovated and indoor pool is excellent. Major complaint is room size, they seem small, with a King bed and a rollaway, little room to move. Overall, though one of my favorite places to stay.

• Stayed March 2013
Quad Cities
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I am a Marriott Rewards Elite member and try to stay at Marriott properties when I can because they are usually very nice, have good staff, are clean and well-kept, and have very nice amenities. The Fairview Park was no exception. It was very nice and provided the luxury I have come to expect from Marriott. It was clean, modern, and quiet. The staff were mostly helpful and pleasant. The bar and restaurant were very nice with good selections, good food, and decent prices. The bar area was a little loud even with only a few people in it which made conversation difficult. Internet in rooms and lobby/bar was easy to connect and fast.
My biggest complaint was check out. The day I was to depart, I was about 1 mile away in a conference until noon so I requested a 1 hour late check out (normal time is noon) so I could come back, take a quick shower and change clothes before heading to the airport. As an Elite member, this is supposed to be a perk. But, the hotel denied it stating "we have a big group coming and aren't allowing any late check out." I found this to be very inconsiderate and inconvenient and also against what is clearly stated as a reward for Elite members. I also found it to be bad business considering I spend thousands of dollars annually at Marriott properties and had just spent nearly $1400 that week. I really didn't think 1 hour was too much to ask, but I guess that is how Marriott has chosen to treat an Elite member. I think I will start spending my money at Hyatt. And, by the way, I was in the lobby unitl nearly 3pm and didn't see any large numbers of people checking in.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are big and have large windows on 2 walls. Very nice views and lots of sunshine.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
FVPM, General Manager at Falls Church Marriott Fairview Park, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel. I am disappointed to see that, while you seemed to have a good stay with us, we certainly didn't finish on a good note. I apologize for that, and I hope that we will have the opportunity to show you that we are a better hotel than you saw in this visit. I hope that you will contact us so that we can make it right!
Clifton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

The front desk staff was extremely helpful and seemed very well trained. The buffet breakfast was included and was great.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
I appreciate your observations and I am pleased to see that you had a great stay. Our free parking and breakfast inclusive packages are indeed a great value! We look forward to your next visit!
Newington, Ct
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I stayed there for a family event and found the staff very helpful; the food decent and the service not lacking; the room was more than adequate; Free parking and a shuttle service to metro to Washington; it took us about half hour by car to go downtown DC. Expect traffic.

Room Tip: If you are a Marriott member, ask at the desk if a room is available for a free upgrade ; maybe you...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Falls Church Marriott Fairview Park? Share your experiences!