“MOST AMAZING HOTEL to ever host our company!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Governor House Inn

Hotels.com Expedia.com
Governor House Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   6650 Arlington Blvd., Falls Church, VA 22042 (Formerly Quality Inn Governor)   |
Offers & Announcements
MetroShuttle Stay3 & Save
Ranked #3 of 14 hotels in Falls Church
“MOST AMAZING HOTEL to ever host our company!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My company is in the construction trade, and we send our crews out for weeks at a time. We've stayed in over 100 hundred hotels in the last few years and without a doubt, The Governor House Inn has been the best of all of them! The manager, Dave Crance, is beyond willing to accommodate our crew needs, the large equipment trucks in the parking lot, the odd hours we're in and out, and he is so helpful with every single request. Miro in Customer Service is absolutely amazing as well- she doesn't hesitate to help with whatever we may need whenever we may need it. From simple requests like extra towels to more troublesome requests like grouping our rooms together or making sure we have a microwave and a fridge, the folks at Governor House Inn in Falls Church make you feel like you're staying at the MGM Grand! The only place you'd be happier staying away from home is if you were staying with Grandma! This hotel is absolutely wonderful for the property, staff, and amenities, and when you discover that the rates are ridiculously low, you have to wonder what's wrong with it...the truth is NOTHING! If you are traveling in the DC area, work your way into Falls Church to stay with Dave and Miro....you won't regret it!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

60 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Dalton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We enjoyed our stay so much! Now this place is definitely not the Ritz but it served our purpose, a place to sleep. The staff are awesome which made up for so much! The shuttle to the metro helped in keeping within our budget too! Thank you for a great trip!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Northwood, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Staying here you will find the staff very friendly, especially Dave the manager, who will do everything he can to make you happy. The hotel is dated to the point where you feel as though your taking a step back in time. The rooms are clean, but items in the rooms (carpet, thermostat, plumbing, lighting, etc.) appear to be 20+ years old. If you take in consideration the cleanliness, affordability and great location to DC, it's the right choice, just don't expect the amenities of a newer hotel. The trip was good and staying here made it affordable and nice, we will return to this hotel next time.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I was slightly skeptical as we drove up, but this Inn is a great example of "you can't judge a book by its cover". All of the the staff were welcoming and friendly. The prices are very affordable. The rooms are comfortable. You really can't beat the value - especially the "Bed and Breakfast" deal. Breakfast at Bentley's was amazing. Such a friendly staff and the home-style breakfast was delicious! The only complaint that we had was the room had a bit of a musty smell to it which diminished after turning on the heat. We stayed here only a few weeks ago and had such a pleasant experience that we are returning this weekend.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Fallbrook, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My husband and I just stayed at the Governor House Inn and we had a great experince. The staff are great! From the manager all the way to the housekeeper. Even though we had an incident, we recommend this hotel for their great value, service, cleanliness and closeness to D.C.
Thank you so much.

Little Falls, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I enjoyed my stay at Governor House Inn in March 2014, and I'd return to this hotel if I need a room in Northern Virginia again.
PROS:
-Extremely friendly and helpful staff. From the reception hosts to housekeeping to the manager, everyone at Governor House bends over backwards to make guests feel welcome and cared for. Dave the manager went the extra mile for me more than once to address my needs. Super-super-duper nice people, can't say enough about the staff.
-Very quiet location. My room was around the back and I slept like a rock all night both nights. I didn't hear a thing except the neighbors a couple of times.
-Comfortable bed and good quality pillows. Frequent travelers know that this is among the most critical aspects of a cheap hotel. Nothing else matters if the bed is uncomfortable. Governor House has this covered. You could just stop reading here and book it.
-Convenient location with interesting options nearby. For example, right across the street is a unique dive bar called JV's Restaurant. Highly recommended for local flavor and excellent music. A short drive away is the Seven Corners shopping area with lots of retail stores and restaurants. Dogfish Head Brewing is a favorite in the area for outstanding craft beers and good food. DC is a 10-minute drive away (when traffic is moving).
-Free extras -- free parking, free wifi, free continental breakfast. (I however didn't use the free continental breakfast but ate at Bentley's instead, so I can't comment on the quality of the free breakfast.)
-Reasonably clean conditions. Towels etc are all fine.
-Low rates -- Overall excellent value. I booked through Hotwire and secured nightly rates around $100, during a peak weekend when DC area hotels were marked up through the roof. Need a cheap hotel, look no further.
CONS
-Governor House is as outdated as it looks in the pictures. Good luck finding an outlet in your room anywhere near where you'll need it. Yes they provide wifi, but it's very s-l-o-w and buggy. You end up logging in repeatedly and the password is this long number you'll struggle to remember.
-Some things are kind of shabby and borderline run-down. My room smelled a bit musty and the ancient thermostat had a mind of its own. The hot and cold positions were switched on the sink faucet. Carpet was worn thin, decor straight out of 1963, and the hastily-repaired ceiling told the tale of many past watery adventures. Outside my room a faucet dripped constantly on the sidewalk; it didn't bother me but it gives you the picture. This place is old and getting a bit decrepit. The common areas are nice enough but don't expect a modern facility; this ain't it.
-I suspect they hired consultants to research the thinnest possible toilet paper and facial tissues, the tiniest soap bars on the planet ... I'm pretty sure they re-use the little complimentary shampoo and lotion bottles from guest to guest. The shampoo bottle appeared to have been refilled. I guess that's what you get at a cheap hotel ... and even though it is logical from an economic standpoint, it does seem a little risky and maybe violates code. I don't know.
A NOTE ON BENTLEY'S DINER
Located on the same property in a separate building, and operated under common management, is Bentley's Diner, a traditional American cafe. It also is straight out of 1963 and that's mostly a good thing. The food is simple, hearty, and plentiful. Service is super friendly and attentive to match that at Governor House Inn; you will feel welcome at Bentley's.
However I must report that the coffee is awful. Some of the worst I've ever choked down, and that's saying something. I thought maybe I just got the dregs from a burnt-up pot but I came back another time and found the coffee to be just as bad. Also the prices are a little on the high side, IMO, compared to what I'd expect to find at a throwback diner of this kind. Probably the prices are considered reasonable in the DC area, where outrageous is normal. But for $10 I'd think the biscuits and gravy would come with some sausage links or eggs; nope, those are extra for a few bucks.
ON THE WHOLE I really enjoyed my stay at Governor House and I hope to return someday. But I will bring a power strip and extension cord, and I'll look elsewhere for a decent cuppa'.

Room Tip: Rooms around back are extremely quiet.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dave C, Inn Keeper at Governor House Inn, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
mtburr,
Wow - I have to give an extreme thanks for this review!
I think you drilled my challenges and painted a very accurate picture of our entire establishment. Really with no brand corporate office tower in some far away place to report back to I don't have to respond with cookie cutter excuses and apologies. Honestly I think a review like this is great and sums up who we are at this stage and seriously helps other guests make an informed decision -
THANKYOU for the time taken on this!

What is surprising to me is how well you mirrored my own thoughts EXACTLY - you drilled the current condition of my Inn having just purchased her in 2013.( I don't actually refill the bottles of conditioner and shampoo though). We are set on restoring her and I try to balance rates with how far along we are stressing to the staff service service service due to the age of her and the amount of work still ahead of us.

I am moving from the Maxwell house to another brand this spring - I don't actually like the coffee either but because of the number of regulars in Bentley s (Trust me any change results in 50 local phone calls as to how I have destroyed it's tradition - even if I just change the colors of the place mats god love my regulars) I was waiting for the summer months to sneak the upgrade by them because we need better coffee in my opinion also. The soaps and shampoos were cost related the first year. Thanks to many many folks such as yourself we are now able to upgrade that package and honestly I have sourced it but hadn't planned to implement until April -BIG mistake on my end as I never realized we would Fill the Inn regularly in March.

The faucet on the back side busted with the last freeze a week ago......as has about every gutter and exterior pipe in her......kind of a catch 22 - I'm full and they just didn't install shut-offs in the 50's (Or if they did they were covered up in the numerous hasty repairs you mentioned - and even there trust me you were on point) so need to drain entire building on a Sunday when it's empty to get to it. Then my gutters.....if I can just get the snow and rain to stop -darn global warming killed her this winter.

We've gotten a lot done in the first few months and thankfully due to the surprising loyalty expect we can knock out quite a deal more this year -but as a small start up it is literally being done with every penny coming in. Like you said - If you want a clean extremely friendly place at a good value with unexpected amenities - metro shuttle service, business center, pool our evening refreshments, continental, free parking, wifi, etc.......that's us but don't expect a fancy new building -jus' a lil' Red Brick Inn.

If you can give this much time it deserves mine - the other items mentioned hadn't occurred to me- paper thickness and outlet situation, but I can look at purchasing the lamps with additional outlets and check on what were using for paper products later today.

THANK YOU AGAIN -HOPEFULLY most will read this review when deciding where to stay.
I really appreciate this and hope to see you back again soon!
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Great value,great service,affordable price.
Free Breakfast,Wi-Fi,shuttle to the subway station.we were plan to stay 4 night in Washington ,but due to such a great service,we extend one more day here instead of on way back home.
We will come back for sure.

Dave C, Inn Keeper at Governor House Inn, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
You know one day I think instead of Inn Keeper I'll be able to afford to hire someone with a fancy title like: Guestservicesrelationshipcoordinator@Insertbrandhere.com

Then they can respond with a "Insert form excuse letter or thank you letter here" then I won't feel so troubled when I fall behind on responding to these.

Actually can't see it as it's important to me to thank people who take the time to help us with these - I appreciate it and sincerely apologize for not responding sooner with spring kicking in on us here.

Simon, thank you for the very kind words, in all my time before I never saw a place where so many guest keep extending. Reviews like this make our day and really pleased that you enjoyed the stay so much.

A trip from Canada is quite a ways to travel and I am glad you were happy with the trip!
(Thinking some of the weather followed you down also sir)

I hope we will see you again next vacation,
Thank you for this post!

Been to Governor House Inn? Share your experiences!