“Personal service makes all the difference” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Governor House Inn

Save Saved
You added Governor House Inn to your Saves list
Governor House Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   6650 Arlington Blvd., Falls Church, VA 22042 (Formerly Quality Inn Governor)   |
Offers & Announcements
MetroShuttle Stay3 & Save
Ranked #3 of 14 hotels in Falls Church
baltimore
“Personal service makes all the difference”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

We booked half a dozen rooms for a funeral. From the moment I stoped in a day before to inspect and book to the moment we checked out Dave and his crew smoothed the way and made a difficult time significantly easier. We chose this motel originaly based on location. When I first drove up I had some initioal concerns. I found myself lookong at a motel. A clean and orderly looking motel but just a motel nontheless, However, when I stepped into the lobby my concerns started to melt away. I was immediately greeted in a warm and inviting manner and when I explained the purpose of my visit Dave, the general manager, took over and showed me around. The rooms were clean and well maintained. The property includs Bently's a stand alone diner/resteraunt at which Dave set up a semiprivate room after normal breakfast hours for us to use for a before ceremony brunch. Further thr price was more than right. They have breakdast included and even a reduced funeral rate. So, if you need a place convenient to the National or to Arrlington Cemetary or just a place convenient to Falls Church or DC stay here you will be greeted as a friend and you will not be disapointed with your stay. Thanks Dave,

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dave C, Inn Keeper at Governor House Inn, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
THANK YOU Sir! This is exactly who and what we are:

"When I first drove up I had some initial concerns. I found myself looking at a motel. A clean and orderly looking motel but just a motel nonetheless, However, when I stepped into the lobby my concerns started to melt away. I was immediately greeted in a warm and inviting manner"

Cant say how much we appreciate this post, the team and I really worry with the reviews and rankings on these sites people will mistake us for gleaming corpity Hotels with all the bells and whistles in the rooms that they charge an arm and a leg for. Whereas we strive to be a family style inn that's more affordable with all the needs fulfilled w/ a smile-response to this has been great which is where we get concerned. Reviews such as yours truly help folks considering us understand who we are.

While the circumstances of your stay were sad, I sincerely appreciate your allowing us to host your family and assist. It was a pleasure meeting everyone and I look forward to seeing your family again when they are out our way for vacations, reunions, weddings and happier events.

Please relay our Holiday wishes and thanks to all of them for us!

60 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Westfield, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

The stuffs are very warm and nice. The breakfast was also good, considering what you paid. The service to send you to the Metro station in the morning and pick you up in the evening is very helpful. The driver of the service is really nice and informative.

The only thing that needs to be improved is the room service. One day during our 4-night stay, the room was not cleaned. We were told that "Don't disturb" card was hanging out in our door. We saw that when we came back from the DC trip on the day. But we don't remember we did that. Probably we should not complain the server. Maybe my son (9 years old) did that unpurposely. However, the hotel has my mobile phone number. Also the hotel knew that we were heading to D.C for a day-trip on the day, since the driver send us to the Metro station in the morning. If they called us and confirmed that we don't want to have room service, it would have avoided it from happening. That is why I gave it 4 as my rating.

Except that, we were very happy with the service in general.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
XuedongYang ,

First I want to thank you for staying with us and especially taking the time to share your experience! Secondly I want to apologize for taking so long to get a response here - if my guests take the time to share I need to take the time to thank them!

I think the review was once again spot on about our little Inn especially "The staffs are very warm and nice. The breakfast was also good, considering what you paid" - We truly strive to provide personalized Service at a price point that can't be beat, the age of the Inn allows us to do so and every review posted helps future guests understand what we are - a simple friendly country style Inn that while not fancy will go out of our way to make sure you feel at home!

As for the do not disturb sign - I think you are on to something there, we could have taken the time to give you a call to verify. I never thought of doing this before because I've always interpreted a do not disturb as don't bother the guest ((((And occasionally my years in the fancy branded 200 dollar a night we're doing you a favor hotels still clouds my judgment - but I'm fighting out of those bad habits!))) but after your post I agree a guest likely wouldn't mind a courtesy call to verify no service when we have a cell number available. So going to start trying this with the team to gauge response on your suggestion.

Thank you again for taking the time to share the suggestion and staying with us - wishing you and your family safe travels and a great New year!

Dave
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

When I stayed at the Governor House Inn, in October, it was one of my favorite stays at a hotel. And I will tell you why.All the workers were real nice. Every time I went to the hotel lobby, the worker behind the desk spoke to me, no matter what I needed to do, get some ice, use the rest room, use the internet, or needed something from them. It was awesome having a shuttle bus to take you back-and-forth to the train station. That made it convenient.The drivers were very nice, and fun to talk to.Moreover, the hotel had things that a lot of hotels didn't have, and are more expensive to stay.They have aspects for a reasonable price. For example, a refrigerator, an ironing board, and free internet.In addition, free breakfast with good food. Good eggs, etc. And the main woman working in the room was nice and friendly.Another thing what was awesome was, the hotel workers cleaned my room everyday.Most hotels won't do that.Furthermore, the Top Boss man was nice. He spoke to me every time he saw me, and greeted me when I first arrived. How many hotel leaders do that.I had a warm feeling the whole time I was there. And the Governors House Inn will definitely be my primary choice when I return to the Washington DC area.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Dave C, Inn Keeper at Governor House Inn, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Danny,
Thank you this is one of the nicest reviews to date and really made the entire team feel great! Thank you for taking the time to share, our goal through out is to treat every Guest as our family when they are with us and it is great to have that recognized. I also appreciate the kind words for my efforts also - it's a challenge to try and make contact with every guest in a facility with 119 rooms but I do my very best. It means a lot personally to have that recognized, I can't say how much I appreciate each and every person that allows us to host their stay and join us for a few a days. I look forward to seeing you again soon.
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

1 hour after checking out and 50 miles away I realized that I had left my wallet in my room.
I called the hotel, spoke with the front desk. Within 5 minutes I received a return call notifying me that they had my wallet.
Over the next few days, while trying to arrange a fed-ex pickup I spoke to four different people.All of them were very courteous and knowledgeable of the situation. Not only did I get my wallet back (with a substantial amount of cash still in it) but i also received a follow up call from the GM to make sure everything was fine.
Luxury can be nice, but a courteous competent (and honest) staff trumps all!
(I was so impressed that I sent the front desk staff a box of chocolate)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Herb,
Thank you for staying with us and especially for taking the time to share your experience! I'm really pleased with how it all worked out, with the call coming in going into the weekend I believe it went through the entire team here - from housekeeper to the supervisor, then exec and then shift to shift with most of my desk team trying to time the pick up for it to be sent out. Everyone was worried by the amount and kept passing it one to one shift to shift personally. My call was more due to knowing half the team handled the wallet and to insure everything was correct. While we can not be responsible for items left behind it was a really good feeling to know the entire team gave the effort and honesty to take care of one of our Guests again. Thank you for staying with us and hope to see you again soon!
Aurora, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

We stayed here in early October, when family gathered for a funeral at Arlington. We booked 8 rooms and received a good rate. The rooms were clean and comfortable, and the staff was very helpful with accomodating our group. The owner provided a space where we could all get together at the same time throughout our stay, and helped arrange an after funeral luncheon at the adjacent restaurant. We got to spend quality time with family that might have been difficult at any other hotel.Many of the family are planning to return to Washington next spring, when hopefully all the attractions will be open. Governor House Inn will be our first choice for accomodations.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Laura,
It was an honor to host your family, having done my time as a paratrooper I find it rewarding to be able to assist my brother's and sisters families at times like this. Usually I get referred to and can do better with the advance planning, where as I believe your family reserved separately on their own vs. as a group referral. I was very pleased to have the opportunity to meet and assist everyone. To me everyone tied into Arlington is my family and I look forward to seeing everyone next spring. Thank you for taking the time to share here Ma'am - I sincerely Appreciate it.
Richmond, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

we booked on expedia, since this was close to our destination and rated well,
this is an older facility, and apparently under new management, and judging by the other rating posts, being updated,
we stayed one night, in the building next to the office by the pool.
room was a bit musty smelling, but that improved slightly when we turned on the HVAC.
mattresses slept well, but were old, the furniture was worn (top bubbling on a table, some of the other pieces were banged up). bathroom was antiquated, hard to locate light switch, cramped, and the shower was hard to turn the water on, cigarette (in a non smoking room) burn marks on the sink
I noticed the next morning there were dead beetles in the corner of the room, and the door knob was loose, (screws backed out of the unit). several lights where hard to turn on,
staff at check in was very nice, at checkout several staff members were at the desk and it took a minute to get their attention, (and not one of them moved away from desk when I checked out,,)

we will not be back

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Richard,
I'm disappointed in the outcome of your visit and apologize that I didn't learn of the issues and personally do better by you on your stay. I have relayed the comments regarding your checkout experience to the staff as I think that is my largest disappointment in the review. Perhaps sometimes even we get to relaxed and I appreciate your reminding us of this. Service in conjunction with the value in terms of rate (Being an older country style Inn allows me to pass on considerable savings to our guests and friends) is what we strive to accomplish. But if we fail to provide that family style care at a great rate then I feel folks should indeed head to one of the fancy branded properties and pay an extra 50-100.00 per night where they are nothing but a rewards program number and stat. for some Corpity type company likely based far away vs. family. In your case I think your review is spot on in that we failed you - I hope you will reach out directly next trip our way and let me make amends Sir. Thank you again for sharing......the not so pleasant reviews help in several ways; first reminding us where we should have done better and simultaneously reminding others that despite the shuttle, the breakfast, business center etc. etc we are still a local 2 star simple country Inn from the 50's.
Sandwich, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

NEW OWNERS!!!!

We stayed here in early October when a bunch of my family came to the area for my Grandfather's funeral at Arlington. The rooms are a little hodge podge BUT the new owners haven't even owned it a year and are working towards remodeling rooms. The rooms were CLEAN and the staff was so accommodating. The owner was front and center and very nice!! Every time we walked into the main lobby, we were greeted with a warm smile and a hello.

Rooms have fridges and microwaves. They have rooms with one king bed or 2 doubles. We had 4 people in our room with a king bed, 2 adults and 2 kids under three. We had plenty of room for everyone to sleep.

Location and parking are great. It is so easy to get to everything that the area has to offer from this hotel.

We will definitely be back!!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Kate,
Sadly we handled an unusually large number of funerals this October and two were for gentlemen I personally knew. I can't tell you how much I appreciate being able to be of service for my fellow veterans Families and really appreciate your taking the time to share here. I also appreciate the very kind words regarding the Inn and the staff. I look forward to your return in the future, you are our extended family as far as were concerned. Thank you for the time taken to share the experience Ma'am.

Been to Governor House Inn? Share your experiences!