“Nice place for the price” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Governor House Inn

Orbitz.com Expedia.com
Governor House Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   6650 Arlington Blvd., Falls Church, VA 22042 (Formerly Quality Inn Governor)   |
Offers & Announcements
MetroShuttle Stay3 & Save
Ranked #3 of 14 hotels in Falls Church
New Berlin, Wisconsin
“Nice place for the price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We were visting DC for a week and stayed in Falls Church because we stayed in Falls Church about 10 years ago on a trip to DC and it worked great for being close to the Metro. I picked this place due to the excellent reviews and the price. When we first entered our room, however, it smelled kind of musty. My wife took a look at another room to see if it was any better, but it was not. I ended up picking up an air freshner for $3 which did wonders. The next issue we had was that our tub would drain very slowly. It took three trips to the front desk to finally get someone to fix it. But once it was fixed, it worked just fine. The continental breakfest was minimal, but edible. But not everything was bad. The beds were comfortable, and the pool was clean. They put us in a room pool side since we had kids. which was really nice. The room also had a fridge was came in very handy. Most of the stars go to the owner. We talked with him and found out he just got the hotel back in April. He is doing his best to upgrade the rooms. He is very friendly and will do anything to make sure your stay is the best it can be. We were looking at going to a different hotel, but due to the owner, we decided to stay.

Room Tip: The room was stayed in (poolside) seems to have been updated compared to the rooms in the back of th...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dave C, Inn Keeper at Governor House Inn, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dave,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and give such an honest review of the Inn, She has been a lot of work but we are really enjoying the folks that are coming our way. The detailed reviews really help paint a great picture for others and help in their decision. At the end of the day we may have a fixer-upper but she is coming along nicely and as you mentioned were going to do whatever it takes to insure our guests leave happy.

When your here your family to us, thank you for sharing and look forward to seeing you again!

60 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Plymouth, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

We came to Virginia from Massachusetts to do some "College touring" for my son. We also wanted to see D.C. , as we have never been. I was a little skeptical about staying so close out of the city but once we were all checked in and settled, we were so pleasantly surprised. Dave, the owner was so nice and professional. We were literally 10 minutes out of the city - they have a shuttle service at the hotel that brings you to the Metro - which by the way, is very easy to use. The free breakfast was good, however, they restaurant right next door to the hotel ( Dave owns that too, was delicious as well - went there one morning. ) The pool was great - the kids LOVED that. I highly recommend this hotel - you will be very pleased - Thanks Dave ! From Steve/ Cape Cod ! (and family)

Steve and Family,
THANK YOU for staying with us and for the great review, sincerely appreciate your taking the time to share and hopefully if he chooses the area for college we'll be seeing more of you in the future - when our way please give a call and ask for me in advance!

Kenosha, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

My family and I have had a very pleasant experience staying at Governor House Inn. It has everything that you need when staying in the DC area-nice, clean rooms, shuttle van service to Metro (new van even), clean pool, daily complimentary breakfast, free wi-fi (great connection), and mostly, friendly and helpful employees from the manager down (especially Conner!). The hotel is quiet and located back off of the road. Many restaurants are nearby. I have enjoyed staying at this location and would recommend it to a person or family who doesn't want to spend a lot of money on staying at a hotel when visiting the area where you are only showering and sleeping.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dave C, Inn Keeper at Governor House Inn, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share the experience - I'm so pleased to see Conner and the others mentioned...........Sadly I've tried to convince him that he should give up Returning to college in the fall and just stay with us - but he's to darned smart. Were going to miss him until next summer!

On a serious note my name gets mentioned often, but reality it is all these folks that I've been blessed to have on the team that makes this work with all we've been doing here and I appreciate their getting recognized. I often find myself telling employees please don't run for me- just our guests and very thankful for all of them and their efforts especially going from a staff of a dozen to over double that in just the few months since taking over- lots of training and stress on them with all the work going on same time.

I sincerely appreciate your post and more so your choosing to allow us to host your families vacation! It's kind folks like you taking the time to share your experiences that is helping others to find us. Most importantly also clarifying were just a simple 2 star Inn full of friendly faces and smiles vs. atriums, Jacuzzis, and jazzy lobbies with some cool rewards program to spam your email with forever. My biggest concern is disappointing anyone that may arrive with the wrong impression especially now that ya'll have got us ranked above these 3 and 4 star "Brands" on this and the other .com sites. (Truly worries me at night)

Thank you again for sharing your experiences,
Looking forward to seeing you again next trip/vacation!

Lakewood, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Me and my wife came to Falls Church, because way back in the days, my family stayed in this area to avoid the insane hotel prices associated with the DC metro area. We had no reservation, we just came assuming we could find a nice place easily. After a nice Vietnamese dinner at Eden Center (5 minutes away) we were directed here by a very nice police officer, and we were happy to hear that they had a special... 3 weekend days for 80 bucks a night. Does that seem pricey?? It's not, given the area and the weekend. Trust me. Some hotels were asking 140 a night, and they were in questionable areas.
So since we are not ultra tight butts, we decided to give it a shot. And it was MORE than we expected. A typical room, but non typical service. Well, let me rephrase. Actually, the room had nice amenities. A microwave, albeit small, but hey who needs a commercial microwave in a hotel room, lol. A college sized fridge, perfect for a traveling scenario. A nice, CLEAN bed with clean sheets and blanket. An ironing board and an iron. An office style desk and chair to do your work on if you so desire. Another chair and a table, for you to gaze out the window... a pool, but we didnt use it. We appreciated the cleanliness of the room. You can tell the place is a bit old, but you can also see that the hotel is doing their best to update it. A nice, 37 inch flatscreen TV with plenty of local channels and cable. And the bathroom.... Clean, a nice amount of towels, and bright.

Now, the things that could have been better....
The water temp in the shower fluctuated. It didn't bother me, but It should be worked on.
Saturday night, the room beside us was having a college style party. Yelling, bouncing around. Since me and the wife were tired, it really didn't bother us... Hell, in my day I attended parties like this and its part of growing up, having fun. But front desk should be a bit more attentive when booking a room that will eventually turn from one hotel guest into 8 drunken revelers. Oh well, It was Saturday, and again, these things happen. A staff walk-around to check for this kinda thing will solve the problem,

Room service = very very good. very respectful of your stuff, always clean and neat. Even the lady had a nice smile and offered us extra towels and stuff.
Front desk = accommodating, and understanding. They said if we ever had a problem with the party next door, they would handle it. But that was after the fact and it didn't matter then.

But----- Dave, the manager/ owner made it clear that he would do whatever it took to make up for it, or stop the problem. He has a very personable, professional attitude. You can tell he has been in hospitality for a while, and I truly believe he would have done anything to make us happy. His professionalism and courtesy earned this hotel its 5th star.

The breakfast... eggs, sausage, toast, cereal..... typical stuff, served in a dorm style room. Nothing super special, but appreciated.

When we left, Dave even bought us breakfast at Bentleys, the restaurant right beside the hotel.We were pleased and very happy with this last act of kindness, and the food and service were very good. He even gave me some free stamps for some postcards I wanted to mail, that was a nice gesture.

All in all, it made our trip to DC a pleasing one. Close to the Metro, with a free shuttle to the station, and a staff that really seemed to want to make things comfortable. Dave, and the staff, thank you.

Jeff and Lianna.

-- Lastly, please be aware of incidental charges that may be added to your credit card charge.
ask about these before you commit your card for payment.....

But it wasn't a big deal, as we weren't charged anything extra. They just added a bit more in case we destroyed the room... and it was fully refunded when we left. That's what all hotels do these days to make sure you don't have a gangster party....

Oh, I didn't mention they have a computer with internet in the lobby, with a printer, you can use for FREE!!! Nice touch!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Jeff & Lianna,
Thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed review of the Inn - both plus's and negatives. I still cant stress how much that time you took is appreciated to assist our next guest in understanding we are a simple little Inn.

I'm glad to hear the officer recommended us, guessing it was a member of the Sherriff's department from Falls church as the town police are ihop (apologies for a four letter brand word on a public site) loyalist where the Sheriff's folks are Bentley's Dinner loyalist. Perhaps the coolest thing about the location more so than the fact that it's 10 minutes from the National Mall (OUTSIDE OF TRAFFIC) is the fact that we are still a small town here surrounded by this huge megalopolis (If that's a word) that is the capitol beltway. I have locals watching for us on everything from referrals to how the eggs are cooked down at the diner and simultaneously have the joy of meeting so many new people like your selves each day.

We really enjoy everyone we meet, and at times I'm overwhelmed with how great and supportive everyone has been -it's a lot of work but late at night when in the office responding to these (and honestly just making sure everyone gets settled in and is happy) I can't express how grateful I am. It means a lot to both me and the team when we share the reviews.

Thank you - hopefully see you again next trip out!
Long Island, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

If you're expecting a five-star hotel, this is not it. It is however an awesome deal on a budget. Location is great, only a few minutes from Metro which will take you into DC and a free shuttle to pick you up and drop you off, almost on your schedule, not theirs. Staff was so friendly and constantly bending over backwards to make you feel like you were the only guest and a long-time friend. We had a couple of minor, minor issues, but they were easily taken care of and quickly. Standard room which was clean, roomy and comfortable. An outdoor pool was always clean and a lifeguard was on duty. Benches around the hotel invite you to sit outside and enjoy the evening. There is a shopping center across the highway with a 24-hour CVS in case you forgot something, and a few other food and drinking establishments in the area, so one doesn't even have to get in a car if you just want a little R&R. We will definitely stay again on our next trip to the DC area.

Room Tip: If you have an issue climbing stairs, make sure to get a room close to the main lobby. Part of the...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
"If you're expecting a five-star hotel, this is not it"

Perfect description over all and thank you so much for staying with us and sharing for others.
With the number of reviews it's obvious you travel a bit and experienced review's are invaluable.

Apologies for the minor issues mentioned, with the building still being new to us and the age of her (folks keep mentioning how it seems like the food channel reality shows to them, but most days I feel more like it's a home improvement show) I'm glad to hear how well the team responded. End of the day we know how important these trips can be -especially that well earned vacation and want to do everything we can to insure guests feel like family with us.

There's still a lot of work ahead but the Inn has really come alive and I'm so thankful for you and all the guests staying with us and giving us the opportunity to host your stays with so many options available out there.!

Thank you!
Suffern, Ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I was skeptical when I saw all of the great customer reviews of the Governor House Inn. The reviews were all different, but had common themes -- good value for the money, but most of all, great service. Many mentioned the owner, Dave, by name. For the price and proximity to DC, I felt it was worth giving it a try.

The other reviews were spot on...the facilities offer pretty much what you would expect from a 2 star hotel/motel. It includes free breakfast, wifi, parking, and a swimming pool. I did have the good fortune of meeting Dave, the owner, whom I had read so much about. He was extremely helpful and generous with my family. You can tell that he is working hard to generate positive word of mouth and online reviews. We had a great breakfast one morning at the onsite restaurant, Bentley's.

I would definitely recommend The Governor House Inn if you are visiting Washington DC.

Brian,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and stay with us!
I'm very pleased you were happy with the stay and that the reviews did not let you down.
It is the sharing of these experiences that help paint a complete picture of our Inn and can't stress how much I appreciate all the 2 star references.

Thank you again for giving us the opportunity to host your visit!
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Based upon the reviews of the Governor's House Inn, my expectations were higher than what the reality was. I do know that the inn has recently changed owners, and Dave is doing his best to do right by this inn. It's a large undertaking and he's working very hard to be successful.

The hotel is very charming and alot larger than you initially think. The location to DC is great. Bentley's restaurant is good home-style cooking. On site breakfast was okay, but lacked fruit (we had apples on 3 of 6 days -otherwise nothing). Cereal, donuts/pastry, eggs and sausage or sausage/biscuits, coffee/tea/milk/juice, yogurt. Not fancy but it was enough to get us started. The dining room was very good size but worn and in need of a good carpet cleaning, with TV and we never had to wait to eat even though there were always guests there.

Friendly staff, but lacking some customer service skills (watching TV, making personal calls, visiting with friends during work hours). They were attentive to needs and those needs were met (except for the first night when we were not given a rollaway bed (the request was on our reservation) and we were told that housekeeping had already left and a bed could not be delivered.

Rooms are a bit old and need some work (loose outlets that would not hold the plug, old A/C thermostat & it never reached the target temp to turn off, worn beds (dipped in the middle), bathroom door wouldn't latch, loose shower faucet). Smoke seemed to come in from the vents which was annoying but tolerable. We didn't ask for another room because we overheard another guest ask to be moved due to smoke and they were told they don't move guest because of smoke. And they will be a smoke free hotel by August.

The pool was very nice, and opens at 1pm when the lifeguard comes on duty This is the first hotel I've been at where there was a lifeguard. I did see him assist a child who got a cramp while swimming, he threw in his floatation device and helped the child to the side of the pool.

On the day we arrived there were a group of guests who were enjoying their cooler of beer at the pool after an obviously hot and tiring day of work . They were nice enough, but inappropriate for the location - coarse language and drinking just didn't seem to fit into the atmosphere that the Governor's Inn is trying to promote.

I would stay there again- and hope that in time Dave will make this a great inn. It has potential!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dave C, Inn Keeper at Governor House Inn, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Five4theroad,
Thank you so much for such a detailed and informative review of our Inn!
I sincerely appreciate your allowing us to host your stay -but on top of that can't thank you enough for painting such a clear picture of the Inn to assist others in making a decision!
She is a lot of work but coming along nicely and I think your words painted a great view of where with all the work and efforts.

I also appreciate your mentioning a few items that can use some adjustment/training as we move forward. This is a great review for others - Thank you so much for the time taken and please give a ring next time heading out our way!

Dave

Been to Governor House Inn? Share your experiences!