“Great Home Base for a DC Trip” 5 of 5 stars

Free Internet + Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Falls Church
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Amish Country
“Great Home Base for a DC Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

This hotel is clean, modern and a great value. It is a perfect fit for a short family trip to DC. The hotel is located next door to the Dunn Loring metro, which is on the same line as the National Mall. Our hotel room was nice and quiet and the beds were comfortable. We will stay here again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

If you were thinking of booking a Breakfast package, I just wanted to give a heads up warning that the buffet breakfast is gone. In it's place is a very limited menu that is not very tasty. The adult choices are basically 1) eggs/bacon/home fries/ toast 2) 3 slices french toast served with 1 cut up strawberry 3) some type of egg sandwich 4) 2 muffins/bagles and fruit cup: ALL adult breakfasts come with one drink only coffee OR a bottle of juice OR a bottle of water. The kids have even less choice either 1) one muffin or bagel/fruit cup/ juice box 2) 2 slices of french toast and 1/4 cup fruit salad or 3) eggs /bacon/ home fries AND NO TOAST. All kid breakfasts come with a juice box. The food is delivered to your table in random order, so some of us were eatting while the food was hot and others were waiting. The scrambled eggs are from a mix and rubbery, the toast comes out unbuttered with butter chips that must be kept in a freezer until they want to bring the breakfast out. Not as tasty as the other food was.

Everything else about this hotel is lovely, the rooms are large, clean and well maintained, big TV, wireless internet, indoor pool open until 10 pm, short walk to Metro. BUT the reason my family stayed here was because the breakfast buffet made it worth the time and money(on the Metro) it took to get into D.C. We were able to eat a hearty breakfast and be able to see the sights until 2 or 3 pm before being hungry.

I believe this is all Courtyards, not just this one but I wanted to make sure non frequent travelers were aware. I guess this is a cost cutting feature but I wish I would have known. The $20 extra I paid for the package would have bought a better breakfast a mile down the road at McDonalds.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Americus, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2011

Stayed here one night and the location was sufficient as it was close to the location of my meeting. The hotel has been updated and there was nothing special to speak of. I was greeted as a Gold member which I appreciated as some Marriott properties won't give me that recognition. The breakfast was included in my stay and the food was good. I would stay at again if I had another meeting to attend at this location.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2011

I booked this hotel two months before our stay for $75/night, through the hotel's website. Which is about half the price I would of paid if I booked the room the week of our trip. The Courtyard, was very easy to get to, despite there not being a exit to it off I-66, very convenient from either Nutley St exit in Vienna or I-495.

Check-in, was very pleasant as the front-desk person, was very friendly and showed us how to use the touch-screen monitor in the lobby, to get weather, directions,etc. We never used it because I always bring my laptop, but nice still. Parking was under the hotel, in a gated multi-level garage, felt very safe. The pool and fitness center, were on the first level of the garage near the elevators. We had a room on the 9th floor(out of 10), as I wanted a room with a view, alas we didn't get a balcony, but was a good view.

Our room had two extremely comfortable queen-size beds, a desk, love-seat. No closet, but it did have a large wardrobe to hang things and a ironing board. Not really any designated place to put a suitcase, but this really wasn't an issue has the room was spacious. Bathroom was what you would expect from a Marriott, not plush, perfect for people who won't be spending all day in the room. The room also had a mini-fridge, with a button for rapid chilling, coffee maker, both high-speed wired and wireless internet(free), which was very easy to connect to. 42" LCD TV, with fifty or so, channels and HBO.

The only real things about the room, I could find wrong were; there was ongoing construction at the property to the south of the hotel, that was audible during the day, not much of a issue for us as we were out of the room early. One, really small thing, all hotels I have been to have had a binder or book, with the hotel's info, local restaurants, shopping,etc. This one did not, again not an issue for us, as we had internet, but for someone who doesn't have a laptop or doesn't want to go down to the business center, could be a minor thing. The only other bad thing, is that the breakfast is not free, and it is not cheap. The hotel has it's own restaurant serving breakfast and dinner, as well as a bar after dinner. It does have market in the lobby open, 24/7, but it's not cheap either, ex. Hot Pocket $4.00, 12 oz beer $6.00. Go to the Safeway, a 5 minute drive.

Overall, this is a great hotel, one of the best(if not THE best) I have ever stayed at in my life. Good parking, very close to Metro station(3 min walk), comfortable beds, friendly staff, computers in business center are touch-screens!, close to Tyson's Corner Mall.

The next time, we visit DC, this is definitely where we will stay.

• Stayed March 2011
Norfolk, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2011

The total package is such a great value for us. The hotel has easy access from the beltway, coming into town, and the friendly staff has allowed us to leave our car parked there, both before checking in, and after checking out.

It's an easy walk to the Metro, always the best way to get around the DC metro area! We have stayed here numerous times, to visit the museums, the zoo, shopping, Alexandria, and all the other delights of Washington. With a day metro pass, you can cover a LOT of ground!

Each time our room has been immaculately clean, and is well designed and appointed to be spacious and functional. The heat/AC always works perfectly (and quietly), as does the bathroom plumbing, with plenty of hot water, soft towels, and good lighting throughout the room. The beds are sooooo comfortable - the perfect balance of firm support and soft comfort, with fresh, clean linens, and lots of high quality pillows. We always sleep so well here - the rooms have never caused allergy issues, from dust, or harsh chemical cleaning products (often an issue for me). Also, all of the rooms have been very quiet, with excellent sound dampening in the walls and ceiling.

The desk staff are friendly and helpful, have maps, and are great about giving directions.

The breakfast here seems to be a sore point for some, but we don't like hotel breakfasts, anyway. There is an excellent Silver Diner right down the road, with lots of fun choices, and even some very healthy options, too!

We have come back to this place again and again, because fir the price, nothing else in the area can touch it for convenience and high quality.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Charlottesville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2011

free parking is very good -- choice between garage and peripheral. desk staff responsive. check-in took literally less than 2 minutes, including the wait. restaurant was ok. no free breakfast. clean throughout. lobby useful for informal discussions over laptops. rooms ok, although hidden refrigerator design was strange and the bed covering was more limited than usual. only observed defect in the room was a pushbutton switch that worked sometimes. office chair didn't rise high enough for comfortable use of laptop on table. bathrooms very well designed.
location very convenient to the metro and far enough from d.c. that the traffic is not always insane.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
US Navy Afloat
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2010

I have stayed here before, primarily due to the location (it is right on top of the METRO Orange Line - Dunn Loring Station).

CONSTRUCTION - They are remodeling the lobby until Feb 2011. This is a minor inconvience, and will only impact those guests between now and Feb 2011.

ROOMS - I had a King/Sofabed, 7th Floor. Typical Marriott room layout and furnishings. Very very nice, very comfortable, roomy and well maintained.

EXCERSISE ROOM - In the basement, sufficent (used it 3x).

POOL - Next to excersise room - small, but nice.

STAFF - OK, front desk staff was very polite and accomodating. Check-in took less than 2 minutes (if that). See my note below regarding the Dining Staff.

PARKING/ELEVATORs - Parking is free (basement parking garage) and elevators are modern and fast.

BREAKFAST - OK, I have submitted numerous reviews, and I normally also select a property that I know will meet my needs, but, this was by far the *WORST BREAKFAST EVER* in any hotel I have ever stayed in. First off----it is NOT FREE!! Most Courtyard Marriotts provide free breakfast, and the last time I stayed here, it was free. Well, no more. Eggs undercooked, Bacon undercooked, Toaster bottom missing so when the toast came out it was deposited on the bare counter (or worse...onto the floor). No jelly's or jams. No juice available. Numerous other foods not available (ran out). Now, the dining area was even worse. I was there at 0830 and there were NO CLEAN TABLEs. Nearly 2/3 of the tables were empty, but needed to be bussed. There are 2 entrances (one goes straight to the buffet and another entrance goes into the dining area). Once I came around with my uncooked food, a Marriott employee approached me and asked me if I would like a table. "Yes, please" I said, and he proceeded to pick up a dirty plate off one of the many empty/dirty/non-bussed tables and said "Sit here" I asked him "Do you need my room number for breakfast?" He replied "Room number, can't you read the sign, breakfast ain't free!" Well, after that comment, and the fact they wanted so much money for uncooked food and rude service and dirty tables, I stated "no" and left the dining area. Property blamed the construction! Construction has nothing to do with politeness and the condition of food.

SUMMARY - Overall, I hate for the breakfast to ruin a great property----so, I will probably return. Just be forewarned about the dining experience at this property.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Dunn Loring Fairfax? Share your experiences!