“Excellent” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Nashua, New Hampshire
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

Really enjoyed the different tacos we tried on a recent trip. The pork and pineapple was my favorite. They have a variety of salsa/sauces to try and all of them were excellent. Wish we lived nearby!

Visited August 2014

Falls Church, Virginia, United States
“Plenty of Options”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

Over the past few months, I have seen Taco Bamba mentioned in different articles and decided to finally see if it lived up to the hype. Despite being somewhat hidden in the corner of an older shopping plaza, it was still quite busy for a Monday afternoon. There was a $10 special that included 3 tacos and a fountain soda. The El Pastor (pork and pineapple), Lengua (beef tongue), and Camaron Diabla (spicy shrimp) were all quite different, but also delicious. This was the first time I have had beef tongue and I found it to be moist and tender. I love pork and pineapple and thought they worked well together. The shrimp had a well balanced sauce, but it wasn't too spicy. There are also homemade salsas in squeeze bottles throughout the restaurant to add to your tacos. I will definitely be back again to test out some of the other options.

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Tacos”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

The tacos are delicious very good portion not like other places I tried the torta bamba it's a meat lovers dream dish I could not finish it I always finish my meal hate to say I lost to this meal I will always keep coming back

Silver Spring, Maryland
“Best tacos in the DC area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

This is my new go-to taco joint in the area. The taco bamba is my favorite but I haven't had nearly all of their offerings yet. My wife is a vegetarian and she tells me this is her favorite taco place as well!

Visited May 2014
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Good but probably overrated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

This place has been popular with the Washington Post as of late, showing up in several positive reviews. This week the most recent "40 Things To Eat in D.C." included Taco Bamba's Shrimp Diabla taco, and having been previously and thought it was good but not outstanding, I figured maybe we should give it a repeat.

The tacos here seem a little hit and miss. All of them are good, but only a few are really exceptional. I feel like there is a lot of overinnovation taking place with a good, simple taco that doesn't necessarily add value in terms of flavor and experience. For example, the fish taco, their Black Pearl, includes a black aioli which, I presume, has squid ink in it? Ok. It didn't really add any flavor and after one bite into the taco I couldn't shake the feeling that a Bic pen had exploded into my tortilla. It seemed like an unnecessary food yuppie garnish that distracted from the simple flavors of a classic and delicious fish taco.

As for the Shrimp Diabla, which hit the WaPo's must-eat list: it was very good, but I can think of several other local dishes I've had that are better, that didn't make their do-or-die gastronomical countdown. The taco was the perfect amount of spicy, the shrimp were well cooked and not rubbery. The sauce was savory and spicy, but the taco fell short with the heaping pile of rice stuffed into it. I like rice, but a double corn tortilla stuffed with rice - even if it does have delectable shrimp on top - feels like too much starch and grain for me. Worth buying once, but I can't say I'm dying to go back for it.

This place does have a few things really going for it: their variety is superior to any other taco joint I've been to in the D.C. area. They have at least two different varieties of tongue taco (and both are worth ordering - they were good.) Their standard $3 tacos are heavy on meat - a good thing - and not buried under cheap fillers. They do "Al Pastor" much better than most other joints (I'm looking at you, District Taco), and if you want a throwback to the American classic served up by loving mothers everywhere, the flour tortilla with ground beef, American cheese, lettuce, and tomato, Taco Bamba's "The Gringo" is a pretty great ride down memory lane. It is also a great pick for kids that aren't going to be excited by things like "chili aioli", "pickled red peppers", "pork belly", or the aforementioned squid ink.

This last go around I ordered the grilled guacamole. It was very good, although I can't say that the grilling added much to the flavor, continuing the trend of unnecessary gourmand flourishes that didn't seem to enhance the actual dish.

Overall, I think Taco Bamba is a good taco joint. I would go back if others wanted to go, and I'd find good tacos to have. However, I'm not sure it is living up to the hype it has been receiving lately. Overall, I still think District Taco puts out a better taco, but if you want something a little unique or a better variety, you should definitely give Taco Bamba a try. (Bonus: the Latin market in the same shopping center is apparently owned by the chef's mother. They sell fresh corn tamales that are a good substitute for anyone who pines for El Salvador's tamalitos de elote. Not sure if it is a regular thing - I found them on a Saturday.)

• Visited March 2014