“The war of the bun bo Hue” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #155 of 309 restaurants in Falls Church
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Lorton, Virginia, United States
“The war of the bun bo Hue”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

My wife and I stopped in here on my lunch break a few weeks ago. Deciding on something spicy, I opted for the bun bo Hue - Hue style spicy beef noodle soup. As soon as I placed my order, chaos ensued.

The host/waitress has quite the domineering personality. She tried to talk me out of the bun bo Hue, saying things like "white people no like, it's stink like a fish." Once I had her convinced I could handle it (I've ordered it elsewhere and I love the stuff), she backed down and brought me a bowl. I think it made her day seeing a white guy chowing down on something like that. I almost finished the bowl! Though lacking the blood cake and chopped banana flower which I've had in other versions, this was tasty and worth the price. It was, as the host noted, fishy. However, this is not unusual for bun bo Hue.

My wife thoroughly enjoyed her rice plate, and the pork was very flavorful and tender. If I wasn't in the mood for soup, I would've ordered some of this instead.

If you can handle someone like her, this place is worth it. The food is good and not expensive, and it's a typical pho joint with basic tables and Vietnamese cultural decorations.

• Visited March 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

% Recommend
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Good Traditional Pho”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

This is a casual, inexpensive, traditional Pho restaurant. Nothing special, simple atmosphere, but a good bowl of Pho.

• Visited September 2011