“The place for families to stay when visiting the DC area!!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book early and save 15%
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Falls Church
Cleveland, Ohio
“The place for families to stay when visiting the DC area!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2009

Our family had a wonderful stay at the Homewood Suites in Falls Church. We stayed this past weekend, 6/18 to 6/21. From the time we arrived until our departure, the hotel staff was consistently friendly and helpful (in a genuine way… not artificial), and did what they could to ensure our stay was a pleasant one.

The lobby and dining area was always clean, with workers running the vacuum several times per day. The complimentary breakfast was SO helpful for us, as feeding six people in D.C. is quite expensive. It was good food too- eggs, sausage, potatoes, omlettes, waffles (guests can make their own), fresh fruit, different juices, hot coffee, etc. It was more than sufficient for us. We didn't get to see what the "light dinner" was like, but if it were anything like breakfast I'm sure we would have been pleased.

The rooms were of ample size and were very clean. The carpet had recently been cleaned in our room (a plus!), and everything smelled nice and fresh. The water pressure was good, there were GREAT toiletries provided, and everything worked as it should. Our kids were happy- they had enough room to lay down, watch DVDs, eat popcorn, and be kids. What more would we ask for?

One of the best features about the hotel was the free shuttle that it offers for guests. The shuttle was great for us, as it allowed us to be vacationers. It runs until 10:00 pm. We’d simply call the front desk, let the clerk know we needed the shuttle, and it would come pick us up. It was wonderful! We used it for rides to and from the Metro stop (Dunn Loring – Orange line), but also to a nearby Rite-Aide and to dinner at a local restaurant. We made sure to tip the driver each time!

There are a few restaurants and businesses within walking distance of the hotel too. Immediately behind the hotel is a diner that is similar to Johnny Rockets or Steak-and-Shake. It delivers to the hotel (for a fee); however, what we discovered is the menu in the hotel didn’t have a kids’ menu, while the restaurant menu did have a section for kids. Luckily, we ate in because this saved us some money!

There also is an ABC (spirits) store, Office Max, Arby’s, Quizzno’s, and a grocery store in a plaza next to the diner (again, within walking distance). One of the shuttle drivers passed this tidbit onto me and I checked it out. This may be a great thing, particularly with the stove and refrigerator in the hotel rooms. Unfortunately, we didn’t take advantage of this.

The pool was a typical hotel pool (from 3-5 feet), but what I found interesting was that it is manned by a lifeguard. That's a good thing, mind you... it's just unusual. Our kids went swimming and enjoyed themselves, until the rain stopped and we could hit more sights in DC.

I’d be remiss if I didn’t give a special thank you to Brittany (I hope that’s spelled right) for helping us out so much! The upgrade was FANTASTIC and my family and I greatly appreciated your help. It made our vacation that much better. Also, to all of the drivers that carted us back and forth throughout the weekend we cannot thank you enough.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Arabic first
Birmingham, AL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2009

I searched for hours for a decent hotel and can honstely say - I found it. We stayed at the Homewood Suites for one full week and loved every minute. The staff was wonderful and helpful. They offer a great breakfast, free shuttle to and from the metro and within 5 miles of hotel, offer dinner Mon-Thurs (chicken fingers, cajun pork, chicken sandwiches, etc.) and always have fresh fruit at the front desk. Great pool (with a lifeguard) and very spacious. Our room was extraordinarily clean every day and just wonderful. I will definately be staying at the Homewood Suites again!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2009

Whenever we are in the DC area, we always stay at the Homewood Suites in Falls Church on Porter Road. There are many reasons we choose this hotel: it's near the Dunn Lorring metro, across the parking lot from the Silver Diner, which is really convenient and has good food (during weekends, it's open until 3 AM?!), and we generally feel like we're "at home" when we stay here. We recently stayed at another hotel in our hometown when we lost power during a snow storm, and we had quite the opposite experience (for instance, we were given a hard time when we asked for extra towels), so I do not take the latter for granted.

We had no problem checking in (we arrived rather late the day of check in (it was the Friday of Memorial Day weekend). When we got to our room, we found, however, that the door that separates the living room from the bedroom did not close properly. It was as if it was too big or it wasn't put on correctly. It wasn't so much of a problem where we would have requested another room; however, I did request a smoking room so my husband could smoke in the living area and I could close the door to the bedroom so I wouldn't have to inhale it. The other thing I noticed is that the kitchen floor was a bit sticky. I left a note for housekeeping the next day to please mop the floor, and it was taken care of for us.

Speaking of housekeeping, I also requested extra towels, as we were going to be going out the next day and would most likely want to come back to the room and shower before going back out for the evening. Our housekeeper provided plenty of extra towels (more than I even requested) as well as extra toiletries!

One thing we really enjoy about this hotel is the complementary hot breakfast. On Saturday morning, they served egg and cheese omelettes, sausage and hashbrowns, plus if you wanted, you could make waffles. The only problem I ran into was that the orange juice was running low, so I had to ask someone if they could get some more. It was not a problem. The hotel was really crowded, as it was a holiday weekend, so my guess is that as soon as someone filled the juice container up, it would be gone just as quickly. The same thing happened on Sunday. Sunday's breakfast was great, too. They served scrambled eggs, hashbrowns and sausage links. They also had an assortment of pastries and scones for the offering. I think this is one of the best breakfasts I've ever had at a hotel. One last thing: the breakfast bar was supposed to close at 10 AM. I walked down to get some coffee at about 10:15 AM (they have complimentary coffee and tea 24 hours a day), and people were still filling up their plates.

One thing that would really add appeal to the hotel would be free WiFi. The hotel does have a business center, but there are only two computers. There is free Internet access in each room, but we have a small computer, and to have free WiFi would really kick things up a notch. We were told by the man who checked us in that they were working on this.

One last thing (unrelated to the hotel): I'm a Hilton Honors member, and when I tried to confirm my reservations online at hilton.com, I was inforrmed that my account was no longer active. I called the Hilton Honors 1-800 number and was told that if you don't stay at a Hilton hotel for a year, your account is deactivated. I don't think this is fair, especially due to the economic situation many people are facing (when I was asked by the operator why we hadn't stayed at a Hilton for at least a year, I told her "the economy."). I don't believe that Marriott Rewards has this same rule (and I have a Marriott Rewards card). My Hilton Honors membership was renewed and I was credited some points, but I think to stay competitive, Hilton should do away with this one year rule.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Long Island, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2009

We actually ended up staying at this hotel after a reservation elsewhere did not work out. I could not have been happier. We happened to get a great deal on their king suite (only $90/night).

The Room:

First and foremost it was clean, I felt very comfortable staying there. We requested a smoking room and unlike other hotels where you can smell the smoke when you get onto the smoking floor, you could not tell that there were smokers there at all. The suite had a living room with pull out sofa bed, tv & DVD player, a kitchenette with full stove/oven, microwave (complimenrty bag of popcorn included with your coffe supplies) & dishwasher, refriderator, coffee maker, and also came with pots, pans dishes cups & detergent. Seperate bedroom (we had a king size bed). The bathroom was also nice with seperate area for the sink and all nutragena products (shampoo conditioner lotion). Complimentry wi - fi service is available just call the front desk for the ethernet connection.

Complimentry Breakfast:

The complimentry breakfast buffet in the morning was great they have a waffle station (my favorite), and a nice breakfast bar; eggs, meat, homefries, cerials, bagles, muffins, fruit and of course juices, coffe tea & hot chocolate. Pleanty of seating and if it starts to get a little crowded they have an additional room to open and a courtyard outside.

Other Hotel Ammenities & Service:

They have an indoor pool and hot tub with a lifeguard on duty. (The pool isn't that deep but most hotels just say swim at your own risk) They also have a business center on site which cam in handy for me since I needed to print my boarding pass to go home. There is a hotel van shuttle service (again complimentry that runs untill about 10pm that takes you to local malls, stores, bus/train stations) we did not use it since we drove there but it was nice to know it was available. I have never seen this before but this hotel does offer grocery shopping, there is a form on your fridge, just leave your list with the front desk & they shop for you & charge your bill to your room there is no fee for them doing so.

Staff:

Every single staff member we encontered from the front desk to maintenece or housekeeping staff walking by greeted us with a friendly smile and hello. We wanted to know the closest mini golf so we called the front desk and she printed us the three near by and all there information. When I had a problem with my flight the day we were suppossed to check out thy exted our check out from 12- 1 for no additional cost.

Location:

If you plan on going sight seeing in DC, or visiting National Harbor, this is a great location. It is only about 15-20 minutes from the city/Harbor and since it's in VA it is definatly cheaper. There is a diner in the same parking lot of the hotel and they have a menu for it in your room. There's not really any knd of view for your room but everything else is GREAT!

All & All this hotel is well worth the stay!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Northern, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2009

I would highly recommend this hotel for anyone needing overnight accommodations around the DC area without the DC prices. This hotel is only 1 mile away from a metro station that takes you right into DC & numerous surrounding areas, you can easily drive to the metro station or take the free shuttle service provided by the hotel. The metro stop nearest to the hotel only take about 25 minutes to get you into the heart of DC. The hotel was clean, the staff was friendly, our room was very nice. The beds are comfortable and they give you lots of pillows. There were two TVs in our King suite and a separate living and bedroom area. The hotel has a pool and a jacuzzi, a fitness room complete with three cardio machines and free weights, they give you a free hot breakfast each morning (waffles, potatoes, or eggs) as well as cereal, fruit, juices and other baked goods, and during the week (Mon-Thurs) they provide you with a free dinner..they call it a light meal, but it was definitely more than that. When we stayed we had spaghetti and meatballs, breadsticks, a salad bar, beverages and freshly baked cookies...I'd call that more than just a light meal. The parking is free, unlike other hotels nearer to the DC area which charge you between $10-$40 a night for parking. The hotel does not have a restaurant on site, but you can get room service from the diner that is literally next door, additionally there about 6 other local restaurants who will deliver to the hotel. There are a ton of restaurants nearby that offer an enormous variety of food, asian, american, italian, latin american and middle eastern.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2008

We stayed here over the Labor Day weekend. This is your typical Homewood Suites which is clean and modern. The room is excellent and the kitchen is a plus. The breakfast is a step up from the Hampton Inn. They even offer a light meal Monday-Thursday evenings. It is only 15 minutes from the train station and Tyson Corner shopping. If you plan on taking the train into DC, this is a good choice. It is also a good choice if you plan on visiting the free Smithsonian Air Museum at Dulles Airport which has the Blackbird and Space Shuttle on display or the Great Falls NP.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Pittsburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2008

We stayed here a year ago, but I only got around to writing the review now. However, I thought it was important to add my commnets to affirm how wonderful this hotel is. It is in a convenienet location to the interstate, yet is placed far enough off of main roads to be quiet. The suites are large and very clean. The breakfasts are good (although I would have liked to have seen waffles every day and not just on weekends), and there are very good dinners (included with the price) during the week. The staff is very friendly and helpful. This is one of the best hotels in which I have ever stayed, and I will be staying there the next time I am in the DC area.

• Liked — Spacious clean and quiet rooms
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Falls Church? Share your experiences!