“I picked the right place for us.” 4 of 5 stars

Inns of Virginia - Falls Church
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   421 W Broad Street, Falls Church, VA 22046   |
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Falls Church
Indiana
“I picked the right place for us.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

I picked this place for location to DC and ability to get to it from the interstate. I wanted to avoid what I could of big city traffic. I still had to face my share, but this proved doable. From the outside this place doesn't look like much. The parking area is in the back.
Now the reception area seemed mighty small and hall ways were stuffy, but quiet. As for the rooms they had what we need and I was pleased with them. The hotel it'self is an older place but fixed up very nice. The staff tried very hard to be helpful and answer the various questions I had. For us this was a good choice instead of staying some place more expensive. I also felt comfortable with the neighborhood it is located in.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Pittsburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2009

I just returned from DC from a trip with my mom where we stayed in the Inns of VA. Great location--easy to find!! Near metro, buses, good eating places, safe neighborhood. and the hotel was a real find! Great towels, good continental breakfast, free parking, SUPER HELPFUL staff with directions, maps, travel tips, smiles--we couldn't have been happier with our stay!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Ann Arbor, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2009

I'm an independent consultant in town for a conference, and all costs are ultimately out of my pocket, so cost is a paramount concern. I found this hotel on TripAdvisor and gave it a shot based on prior reviews, cost, and proximity to the DC Metro (subway/bus) lines.

The cab driver from Dulles said he'd never taken anyone to this hotel before, and relied on his GPS to get my party to the hotel. I was undeterred. Gladly, I was not disappointed.

The hotel is in a stretch of the subdued bedroom community of Falls Church that has seen some recent low-rise real estate development (check Google Street View for pics). There are quite a few restaurants within a 1/4 mile. U-VA is less than a mile away.

The hotel is not much to look at from the street, but once inside and in your room, you immediately appreciate the recent renovations, utterly clean bed and bath, and low traffic. There's a microwave and refrigerator in the room. The wi-fi was solid. Mine had a shower rather than a tub. The drinking cups are disposable. There was always plenty of available parking. There is no pool. The rooms are neither tight nor spacious but always very quiet. The desk staff was accommodating, and provided info on the Metro and local restaurants. The morning coffee, OJ and packaged danish were enough to stem hunger in the morning, and appreciated for what they were.

The closest thing of which I can be critical - of no fault of the hotel - is that the walk from the hotel to the West Falls Church Metro station was about a mile, which in the 20 degree F weather was a bit of a hike. We took the bus to and from the Metro ($1.50) beyond the first morning, which picked us up literally across the street from the hotel (we would sometimes forego the bus and took a cab instead, at $7.50 each way). If you're willing, you *can* stay here and do business in DC without having to rent a car.

You won't find a concierge, bellhop or room service here, friends. On the other hand, if you're looking for quiet, comfortable lodging in DC that won't break the bank, this hotel screams "excellent value" in a way that puts other similar ends-in-a-number so-called value chains to shame. Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2009

When making arrangements to attend Obama's inauguration, I was shocked at the price-gouging going on all around town. This was the only hotel I could find within a 25-mile radius that wasn't charging outrageous rates and demanding minimum stays (during inauguration wk.) But it gets better: the hotel is an easy 30 min away from Dulles Airport with the Washington Flyer ($10) connecting to the local buses at W Falls Church Metro; it's not more than a 10 min ride to the Metro with the local buses, which run often. You can find a nice breakfast, lunch or dinner within walking distance. The rooms are clean & quiet, the beds comfortable, and everything's in working order: TV, microwave and refrigerator. Most of all, it's a pleasure to be taken care of by such a gracious, friendly, and attentive staff. When I left a couple of rechargers in my room, they lost no time mailing them back to me. For a budget hotel, it doesn't get better than this!

• Liked — Friendly staff, cleanliness, value
  • Disliked — The vending machines
  • Stayed January 2009
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Farmington, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2008

Very good location for accessing public transportation--bus stop to Metro (subway) across the street. Easy to reach Washington, DC. All the people who work there are very friendly and helpful. Very comfortable and economical.

• Liked — Easy access to public transportation. Very friendly and helpful staff. Comfortable and economical
  • Disliked — Smallish rooms.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Shoreview, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2008

Where do I start...the good feelings I had from this place just come flowing out faster than I can type! The room was very quaint, beautiful, clean and quiet and the bed so comfy I don't even remember closing my eyes before falling asleep. But those are things people pay for and basically expect when going to any hotel. What sets this place apart for me is the way they treat you like a true guest...not like a paying guest in a hotel, but as if you are a very wanted and invited guest at someone's home. I came to DC for a convention and eye surgery, and had never been there before. I flew into Reagan Int'l at night and rented a car with only Mapquest directions to guide me...all alone at night, in a strange place far from home. I got lost, called the hotel in a panic, and the girl working the front desk was amazing! She was very kind and genuinely concerned and wanted to help...I described my surroundings, she knew where I was and stayed on the phone with me for about 20 minutes until I reached their parking lot. My mapquest directions were slightly off anyway, so I could have never done it without her help. When I checked in she offered me a noon checkout time without me even asking for one (normally 11:00AM) because she knew I was seeing the Dr in town in the morning. The next day when I checked out she was not working, but the manager and front desk clerk that were working were also very concerned about my Dr. appointment and wanted to make sure I was OK to drive and then helped me by giving me new and easy "locals" directions to my next destination, as well as other helpful hints to get around DC. I ended up referring to those personal instructions often during my next 4 days in town and they saved me on more than one other occasion!

My only regret is that I had already booked the rest of the stay with friends at another hotel in DC prior to making the reservations for my first night at Inns of Virginia Falls Church. That next place cost twice as much, I had to pay extra ($29 plus tax a night!!) to park, and although their staff was pleasant enough, I was treated as a number, and getting questions answered was a joke. If I ever come back to the DC area there is only one place I will stay...and I will highly recommend them to anyone I know going out that way! Inns of Virginia Falls Church is awesome!!! Thanks so much to Roman and Michael and the other guy at the front desk....for one night I felt like I was home!

• Liked — The way they treat customers like guests in their home
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
Wilmington, Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2008

Parking is great, some spaces are available around the back of reception. The staff are personable, friendly and efficient. The rooms are not too shabby for the price, comfortable even. We got a huge bed that aircraft could have landed on. We even tried to touch the sides... shows how easily pleased we are.

Americans - double check what "continental breakfasts" are!

We enjoyed our stay here.

There are many chain type of eateries very near by to explore and if you want to head into DC center itself, save yourself the hassle of driving in and catch a train in one of the nearby park & ride stations. (I think they are Falls Church East & West) - 20 mins ride and cheaper than DC parking.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Inns of Virginia - Falls Church? Share your experiences!