“Comfortable No Frills Motel” 4 of 5 stars

Inns of Virginia - Falls Church
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   421 W Broad Street, Falls Church, VA 22046   |
Ranked #7 of 14 hotels in Falls Church
Lincolnton, North Carolina
“Comfortable No Frills Motel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

If you are just looking for a comfortable, clean palce to stay in Falls Church, this is the place for you. As long as you are not looking for any more than a place to sleep. The motel is a small thin building tucked in next to an aparment complex right on West Broad St. Very convenient to all of downtown Falls Church. My wife and I have both needed outpatient surgery at the nearby Kaiser facility recently. We needed an inexpensive place to stay. While not overly cheap, this place ahd the best rates in the area. The bed was extremely comfy and the room was clan. Great shower pressure is a plus for us. Staff is friendly and helpful. No frills except for a continental breakfast consisting of coffee, oj, Sara Lee muffins and danish. Would recommend this motel.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

53 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Richmond, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

I booked this place based on what I read here ... sad to say ... I will do more research before I do that again ...

First of all ... I booked my rooms well in advance ... requested non smoking floor/non smoking rooms with one room having a king sized bed and another having two double beds ... I must beg to differ with Ms Penny the manager ... saying you are always asked if you want a confirmation by email .... I was given one over the phone ...nothing was said about email ... I also called two days before arrival to make sure the rooms were as I requested and to assure that I still had a reservation .... I was told all was the same and they read off what I asked for ...

Upon arrival I was told the rooms were all booked there were only two left and I was getting two rooms with two double beds ... though I questioned this after my checking again with the second phone call ... I was told it was not guaranteed ... this was all that was left and that was it ... I balked a bit more ... then the girl told me if my room was not satisfactory they would give me a room with a king on another floor? ... ok so how did it go from no rooms to having one on the second floor within a matter of minutes? we went to our rooms ... decided it would be smarter if we all stayed together and left it at that ... while it was not the most fantastic place ... it was ok ... the fans in the bathroom had scum and lots of dust in them ... there was a musty like odor in the room and the lampshades had what looked like blood that someone had tried to wash off of them ... I tried my best to ignore ... turned them around and got ready for a celebration across the street ... being as this was New Years eve we were unable to find accommodations elsewhere ... so it was either drive three hours home or try to make the best of it ... one big thing ... I kept complaining about smelling cigarette smoke... my daughter thought it might be coming from another floor ... and that perhaps I am just sensitive to the smell ... I wasnt convinced but there wasnt much I could do to prove it ...so across the street we went ...for a most enjoyable evening ever ...

Then the nightmare began .... after having an incredible time we came back in good spirits ... laughing and happy ... ready to get a good nights sleep ... little did we know ... when we got to our floor the smoke was ten times worse ...it was like walking into a bar room filled with the stale nasty stench of cigarettes ... this place is small .. the smell stays there and since its old is not equipped with a good ventilation system ...

Needless to say ... we discovered it to be coming from a room two doors down from mine ... i went down to complain to the night clerk ... who in turn got on the phone and told the people to quit ... when I asked why there were not being evicted his reasoning was they can not control the people who stay there ...all they can do is ask them to stop and if they dont they will be asked to leave ... I have health issues related to cigarette smoke and they are quite lucky there was not a person with an oxygen tank staying there ...

I went back down as the smoke was not going away ... was not really treated with any pleasantries and was told that unless they were proven to be smoking again they would do nothing ... the people in the room however ... discovered it was me that made the complaint ... would stick their head out the door every time I walked by to get to the antiquated elevator and watched me ... I then started having someone knocking on my door constantly ... I had placed a chair up against it as I felt a bit intimidated when they kept popping their heads out .... this increased more and more often to the point I felt we might be in danger ..once they tried to coax my daughter to go downstairs and outside with them alone ... we decided to leave ...packed our things and ran for the hills ... after telling the desk clerk that we felt threatened and scared ....

I tried for over three days to get in touch with the manager ... was told he was not in ...or was there but just left ...

Four days later after dozens of phone calls and finally getting his email address ... I conversed with him ... I asked for our money back ... which was refused ... was told his people did all they could and that was that .... I eventually found out that an employee had booked this room to these two people knowing they smoked ... told them there were no "smoking" rooms left .... told them they could not smoke in these rooms because they were non smoking and that as soon as one became available they would move them to "smoking" ... so much for telling them they could not smoke ...

I am disappointed ... now management has tried to turn it around and make it my fault and that I didnt do enough or give their staff enough time to help us with the harassment issue ... as I explained to him ... we were not willing to stick around to have our car keyed ... or tires slashed or one of us shot or killed since they already knew who we were ... we ended up driving over three hours home ... very weary and stressed ... Management also tried to turn this around and blame my daughter ... how despicable to place blame on someone else in an attempt to justify their own miserable actions ....

Needless to say they refused to give me a refund ... I mentioned to the owner I would not have a problem with relaying my story concerning this situation and to back me up ... I am providing photos of the lampshades ...

I do not recommend staying here .... especially if you are a woman alone ... they have no security ... a suggestion that I made to the general manager ... given the fact the place is quite small and there is no where to run should you get into a similar situation ...

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

This reasonably-priced hotel is perfect for exploring DC and surrounds, with excellent public transport into DC via the nearby West Falls Church metro station which is a 5 minute bus trip from the hotel. (Bus stop opposite the hotel.) The Washington Flyer bus runs between West Falls Church metro station and Dulles Airport every 30 minutes. ($10-00 one way.) The staff members at the hotel are friendly and professional and go out of their way to make you feel welcome. There are several good restaurants within walking distance from the hotel, including an excellent Lebanese restaurant called Pita Wrap Lebanese Cafe, as well as a Burger King, Taco Bell etc.The rooms are spacious and neat and perfectly adequate. Would definitely stay here again without hesitation.

Room Tip: Room 309, at the end of the hallway, has added privacy.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Peachtree City, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

We stayed four nights here. It certainly could use some updating. The carpets were a bit tatty and the dresser drawer was broken. However, it did have a micro and fridge and the bed was clean and comfortable. It had a very good shower although the bathroom was a bit cramped. The advantage was the price of a room as compared to DC. area and with free WIFi. There was a Panera Bread across the street which we enjoyed for breakfast. Overall it was clean and functional and I would stay again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Lebanon, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

I reserved two rooms at the Inns of Virigina Falls Church to attend a funeral in town and was given two room confirmation numbers over the phone. When I arrived the person at the desk had a difficult time helping me and finding my confirmation numbers in the computer system. He even printed out a list of all the guests who were supposed to check in that day and handed it to me to pick out my name - very unprofessional.

Finally, when he found my number there was a "computer error" and the days of the week changed in their computer instead of arriving on a Wednesday the had my family and I booked to come in on that Saturday - it was the most bizarre thing I ever heard. When it came down to it the hotel only had one room for us and when I mentioned that was unacceptable I asked if there were other hotels they could recommend the manager mentioned two on Route 50, but did not aid me in securing other reservations.

Finally when my family and I decided to cancel the reservation due to the poor treatment we received I asked if I could have the cancelation in writing. I was told by the manager that that was impossible, but he could send me an email. Since my family and I were without a room and wireless internet, I asked if he could print out the email. So I would have something in hand. He did.

Prior to the manager printing out the cancelation confirmation he something to the effect of why didn't I get an email confirmation and I replied that it was never offered to me any of the three times I contacted his hotel staff when making an confirming my reservations.

Completely unrecommended due to extremely bad customer service.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
maddynmel, Front Office Manager at Inns of Virginia - Falls Church, responded to this review, August 30, 2011
I would like to respond to this review by saying that "the days of the week" don't just change in our computer system. There really is nothing bazarre about making an error and booking for the wrong day. The reason that the clerk could not find their reservation for the day that they arrived was because they were not there on the day they made the reservation for. This was not our fault at all. Surely if this customer really called for a confirmation three times, if it was the wrong date she would have mentioned to someone that the date needed to be changed. When someone makes a reservation on the phone which this customer did, they are asked if they would like an email confirmation. This customer declined. The day the customer arrived (not the correct day) the hotel was 100% booked and there was only one room available to offer them. They were angry and went outside and never gave the manager the opportunity to truly help them find other accomodations. We have another location that is approximately 5 miles away that had rooms available.

This customer never stayed at our hotel and therefore should not be allowed to damage our reputation because they (the customer) made an "honest" mistake. We were just awarded a Certificate of Excellence for the year 2011 by Trip Advisor. Our hotel staff works very diligently to make sure that customers are treated professionally and with courtesy. Our customers are what keeps us in business and it would be rather unproductive to not provide quality service to them. This customer is obviously upset and I would just like to apologize for her unfotutunate experience and what she perceived to be the hotels fault.
Long Island, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

This is not a five star property so put that out of your mind. Its a small little hotel, a bit older but clean. Its location to downtown DC is why they charge a little more. Its on a main highway and takes about 25 minutes by car to get downtown. I needed to book it in a pinch and it was fine for my needs which was a place to sleep for the night. The highlight is the brewpub across the street. The Mad Fox is an excellent dining choice and should not be missed.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Ames, IA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

The location is very good, right in the middle of Falls Church. It also has free high-speed internet and a refrigerator (it was very hot when I was there). The rooms are dark with only a small window and a desk. In the rooms with double beds there is not much space to move around in.

However, the room was clean and everything worked. They also had power strip plugs for getting all one's electronics charged up. The breakfast was basic, but there is a Starbucks across the street. Parking is free as well.

The neighborhood has many nice small restaurants.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Been to Inns of Virginia - Falls Church? Share your experiences!