“Caveat Emptor....Buyer beware!” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #66 of 343 Restaurants in Fairfax
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Outdoor seating
Description: About Our Restaurant-----Previously known as Vespucci’s Fine Italian Dining, our restaurant has merged with its parent business Cooking & Company Catering under the same management but with some new dishes. Branching out from its Mediterranean focus, Cooking and Company now also serves Persian food and is open for lunch, where Persian delicacies such as Zaban, the Persian Hot dog and Kabobs can be enjoyed. Our new menu also has options for our celiac, vegetarian and vegan customers. Our food is free from “MSG” and other additives and is made to order. We believe food should give you energy, not bring you down and additives like “MSG” can cause drowsiness or headaches. Eating bad food is a horrible shame and Cooking & Company is one hundred percent dedicated to offering healthy eating. All of our dishes are our favorite dishes and anything you choose is sure to be delicious and healthy.-----Our goals with our new menu:► To Select and Serve favorite dishes from 21 countries around the Mediterranean Sea!► To use fresh ingredients, following healthy recipes, to create a unique menu!► To provide a full bar with top shelf distilled alcoholic beverages, a premium wine list and popular beers.► To Enable customers to preview and order from eighty pages of catering menu with over 40% to 60% cost savings when they choose to order for off premise catering services.► To create package menus for larger events, saving the customer time and money in food and beverages.► To provide a cozy atmosphere in our dining room, bar and outdoor patio any season and any time of the year the weather permits.►To use special symbols to identify the menu items!------------------------------We assure you that you will want to share the Cooking and Company Restaurant experience with your family and friends and join us for your all special occasions, where we will strive to make it an unforgettable dining experience.
Hillsborough, Nc
“Caveat Emptor....Buyer beware!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Tonight we went to this restaurant based on reviews here as well as other places online and the closeness to our hotel and event while in the area, the atmosphere as we entered was quite pleasing and we were greeted pleasantly. Once seated, the owner, who also happened to be our waiter, came by to take our drink order. Even though they weren't busy, they were a little slow however I did t think anything about it in the beginning because he was attentively chatting with guests behind us. Since we weren't in a rush, this was no stress,

Raymond took our martini drink order and promptly brought them. While they were slightly different than I expected, they were good. We ordered bowls of "pasta fajool" and our entrees of fettuccini Alfredo for my dining partner and chicken piccata for me. I told Raymond that I would prefer to have a side of angel hair aglio instead of the side of veggies and potatoes. He said that would be no problem to substitute that out.

Our soups never did arrive. When our dinner came, they brought me the pasta but also included the veggies and potatoes. I promptly informed the lady that brought it out but she did nothing about it. The food was good and had no complaints on the food. The problem was when the bill came. They charged an extra $7 for a very small bowl of angel hair pasta in a garlic olive oil coating!! A) this was not how I ordered my dinner and B) there was no mention of an additional charge, much less a ridiculous charge of $7 for a small bowl of pasta! In addition, do not ask for extra bread as they charge an additional $2.95 for a couple of slices of bread and again, that was not disclosed. When something was said to Raymond, he did take off half the charge for the pasta but in my opinion, that was not enough since the extra fees were not disclosed up front! I travel a lot and eat out a lot and no restaurant like this has ever charged when bringing bread like that! It was a surprise for sure!

Was the food good? Yes. However, with the mess ups in the orders and the non disclosure of extra fees, I will not go back, nor will I recommend them. I was seriously disappointed in how they handled it....and what's worse is that this was the owner, not just a regular server.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Nice Local Gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

Family owned restaurant with great Mediterranean food, mostly Turkish and Italian bent. Atmosphere is cozy and there are extras going on during the week. Food was good, I had the shawarma.

Richmond, Virginia
“Great Vegan & Vegetarian Options”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We had a great meal. They have so many options for vegetarian, vegan, gluten free and regular diets. Service was wonderful and food was amazing!!

Visited February 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
“Italian and Mediterranean Restaurant with Healthy Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Last night my husband and I celebrated my birthday at a great restaurant in Fairfax – COOKING AND COMPANY. We had been here a few years back when it previously known as Vespucci fine Italian dining. Vespucci's has been merged into its parent business Cooking and Company catering under same management.

The owner, Ray, greeted us and gave us fantastic service all evening. He took time with us explaining their wonderful menu. They really cater to people who want healthy food. They also have items on their menu for those diners with special needs that are Vegan, Vegetarian, 100% Gluten Free and they do not use MSG.

Beside wonderful Italian unique and fresh made from scratch meals, you can enjoy other Mediterranean dishes surrounding the Mediterranean sea as well. We got a great bottle of wine and then ordered.

For starters I had a delicious shrimp cocktail – the shrimp had been sautéed in white wine, garlic and olive oil and came with a house-made cocktail sauce. My husband enjoyed the soup of the day which was clam chowder and was really full of clams. They also brought us some great roasted garlic in olive oil along with some bread that was delicious.

For our mains I had the Chicken Marsala, which was fixed with Portobello mushrooms in a wine sauce which was served with several vegetables as sides. My husband tried one of their specialties of Seafood Thermidor – it had jumbo crab-meat, shrimp, scallops and sea bass that was cooked in a creamy cognac sauce and that was topped with a puff pastry. He can't wait to go back and do it all over again – everything was delicious.

Then as a surprise they brought me some cake while a happy birthday song played. It was a wonderful evening and I can definitely recommend Cooking and Company as a great local restaurant – especially for anyone with special dietary needs. Plus they have the catering side of the business so you can order off an extensive menu and enjoy their foods when you entertain. They open daily for dinner at 5 pm. Earlier in the day they can put on special events in their restaurant, so definitely contact Ray at (703) 352-0331, if you are considering something special. The restaurant is located at 10579 Fairfax Blvd., Fairfax, VA.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
herndon
“Love this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Came with family.. took the boys out to dinner. Lots of meals priced under $16, and smaller portions also available for less. Very affordable food yet exquisite quality and delicious taste. Owner is very personable. He really cares about people and the quality of the food. Food of this quality is hard to find even in so-called 'top' places, and you will pay much more and still not beat the food here. In a 5 star rating of food quality and taste, I would give them 6. When I have been there, the place has not been overly crowded, which is nice. The music is soft and not intrusive, and it is quality music, not the canned elevator stuff at other places.

• Visited December 2012