“For New Yorkers This Is the Best” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian, Pizza & Pasta
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Takeout
Washington, DC
“For New Yorkers This Is the Best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

There is no better New York corner pizza parlor pizza in WDC than Pomodoro in Fairfax. Pizza is great and other food is good. New York Pizza Parlor taste.

Have been going here for years and still can find any place to beat it for NY Style Pizza. I can't pass a pizza place without checking out a slice. Being a transplanted New Yorker for the past 35 years I am always on the lookout for Pizza - New York Style. 35 years ago the only pizza in DC besides Shaky's etc. was Armand's Chicago Style near AU - which was around before Chicago Pizza Uno's - I'll let the Chicagoans duke that one out about Chicago style.

Any and I mean any corner Pizza Parlor in NYC had better pizza than anywhere/anywhere in DC. Then in the 80's there was a Pizza place in the back of the Dean and Deluca building in Georgetown. It was closed and long gone. Through the years, slowly some NY Style have cropped up. The wood fired - creative topping - designer elite pizza is not what we look for. I discovered Pomodoro years ago with my transplanted AU Alumni best friend - If I have time I will drive to Pomodoro rather than subject myself to someone else's "New York" pizza (not exactly true - I keep trying to find something closer to home and keep getting disappointed). I even tried to talk one of the brothers into opening up in Manassas area (in a pinch - for now I have to go to 2nd best Pizza Margherita in Gainsville).

And for those of you that like to complain about the Italian food in these types of places - for pete's sake it's not Italian food. Even Little Italy didn't serve Italian food until LI became trendy and a tourist location. The food that is this Little Italy type, Maggiano's type etc., is immigrant Italian food based upon what they could cook up in the "new country". The old country recipes adapted to the new adopted land. That's why "Italian food" is familiar but slightly different in New York, Boston Chicago, San Fran. What most of you know as "Italian Food" is immigrant food from the turn of the century. If you like this type of food buy "Italian Immigrant Cooking" by Elodia Riganti (Amazon) - every recipe works and tasts like my grandmother's cooking from the Bronx.

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

New York City, New York
“Great pasta”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

Pasta Pomodoro is always a great choice for pasta.

Visited March 2012
usa
“Don't order eggplant or anchovies”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

We just had the worst pizza we ever had in our lives, so I was surprised to see all the good reviews. We picked eggplant, tomatoes, and anchovies, all of which we love. But the eggplant was deep fried and extremely greasy and not at all fresh tasting, and the anchovies tasted old and extra salty and extra fishy. (We are anchovy lovers and never had any this bad.) Nothing was wrong with the tomatoes, though, and all the employees were friendly so I gave it two stars instead of one. Perhaps if you stay away from the eggplant and anchovies you'll be ok, but we only ate one slice of our pizza and we feel horrible!

• Visited March 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Fairfax, Virginia
“Best Pizza in Northern Virginia”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

Never listen to any native talk about pizza - they have no clue what good pizza tastes like. Coming from NYC, we know. This is the best in the entire area.

• Visited November 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC
“A nice pizza n pasta place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

Food here is good but the average rating relfects the carry-out atmosphere (you place your order then pick it up when your number is called), crowded room, and basic flavoring of food items. When's there's a crowd it can be hard to hear people you're with. That said, this is a good choice for a quick bite before or after a movie (just across the parking lot). It's relaxed enough for kids though families with toddlers may find the small quarters challenging.

Visited June 2011