“Don't let outside appearance deter you” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Street Food
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Rebel Run
Leland, North Carolina
“Don't let outside appearance deter you”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

My son and his wife had dined here before and said that the food was good, so we decided to give it a try. Don't be fooled by the street appearance, which looks like a conversion from a fast food restaurant. The interior of the restaurant was tastefully decorated, and the menu was extensive as was the wine list. They also had a very nice selection of beers and mixed drinks. We were worried that the service would suffer because we saw only one waitress for the whole restaurant, but she was very efficient and we never felt neglected. Our appetizers and entrees were excellent. Nice presentation and delicious. The portions were plentiful, but my entree was so good that I finished it all against my better judgement. Unfortunately we live nearly 400 miles from the restaurant so we will not visit anytime soon, but if you are in the area, I would highly recommend this restaurant. I'm sure that we will visit it again when we are visiting my son's family.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Fairfax, Virginia
“Some hits and some misses”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

My wife and I had dinner at Cee Fine Thai Dining restaurant on a Friday as a treat for the end of a long work week. The restaurant is convenient for us as well, since it is less than three miles from our house. I thought some of the dishes were real stand-outs, but I also had some minor criticisms.

We started with two appetizers – crab cake and fried calamari. The calamari was a tad undercooked, although breaded and deep-fried, so that it was a bit rubbery. The crab cake was quite good, but the mixture of spices made it taste more like a veal sausage without much actual crab flavor. Both came with a dipping dish of sweet Thai chili sauce that looked like it was poured straight out of a bottle. My wife was looking forward to red curry salmon, but changed her order to what was listed as either spicy flounder or tilapia in chili sauce. I ordered sesame beef. While we never did learn whether we had flounder or tilapia, the fish was cooked well. The sesame beef was good as well but, unusually for an Asian restaurant, had been prepared in three, thin slices of whole filets that required that I cut them further into bite-sized pieces. In addition, they had been sprinkled with raw sesame seeds and came over what seemed like a teriyaki sauce. In short, while tender and tasty, the sesame beef didn’t really qualify from the “sesame” aspect.

Cee takes an interesting approach to distinguish itself from the half-dozen or so Thai restaurants in Fairfax. It offers a Thai cooking class on Sundays as well as wine tasting. Certainly unusual for a Thai restaurant, it has a long wine list and a good choice of beer, including Dog House ale and imported Japanese Kirin. The interior décor did not impress, but the establishment has almost wrap-around windows that let in lots of natural lighting. Our orders arrived promptly, with the wait staff stopping by to refill our water glasses and ask how we were doing in an efficient manner without being intrusive. The lack of business seemed odd, with less than half the tables filled at about 7:00, when we arrived. I can’t remember what restaurant used to be at the location, but I hope that Cee gets well established and is around for a while.

We tried the restaurant because we had a coupon that took $12 off our tab. Even so, we paid $74 with tip included for dinner for two. The tab is expensive for an Asian take-out restaurant, but I thought the preparation of the dishes, the service, and the ambience made it quite worthwhile. We did not have dessert, but we did drink two beers and a glass of Armand Cotes du Rhone wine.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Manassas, Virginia
“Excellent food, good service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

They have excellent larb, which is one way I like to judge Thai restaurants. They were quite willing to split the check for us. I was a bit disappointed in the desert - they offered multiple items on the menu, but they only had 2 items available. Otherwise, it was a good night out.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Fairfax, Virginia
“OK food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We absolutely LOVE Thai food and have a few favorite restaurants in the area. When this one opened a few years ago, we were more than willing to give it a try. The menu looked promising, even fancy. And the food was OK. But just OK. Good, but not delicious. Since we are used to a certain quality of flavors, we weren't impressed. Of course, we have not eaten our way through the menu--but I hope they improve the quality and maybe bring down the price just a bit.

Virginia
“Local Thai Food, Excellent Menu and Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We dine here about twice monthly, and do so because of the excellent menu, preparation and service. Very accessible in Fairfax, VA, and plenty of free parking surrounding the restaurant. On warmer days, you could sit out on the large patio for dinner or lunch. Though we've not participated, they have a "wine tasting" program on certain days of the week. Inside the restaurant, you can see a whole section filled with their wine stock. Someday we'll try it. Back to the food. Highly recommend their appetizer soft rolls stuffed with shrimp or shredded pork. They have many, many noodle and meat dishes, too numerous to list here. But try any of them and you won't be disappointed. If you need a box for take-home after your meal, they may throw in some extra rice...if you smile!

• Visited January 2013