“Good option if you want to be close to GMU, just skip the breakfast.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Fairfax

Save Saved
You added BEST WESTERN Fairfax to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Fairfax
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3535 Chain Bridge Road, Fairfax, VA 22030-2703   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #12 of 23 hotels in Fairfax
Fairfax, Virginia
“Good option if you want to be close to GMU, just skip the breakfast.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2010

This hotel is a nice place to stop if you're visiting George Mason University. It's less than two miles away from the campus, and there are a couple of good restaurants right across the street. The suburban location is quite nice- there's a pharmacy nearby in case you need anything for the night. The hotel rooms are a bit dated, but clean, and well-equipped with a nice fridge, microwave, and desk (the bathroom was the part which looked oldest, but everything worked and it was pretty clean). They even manage to squeeze in a comfy chair and ottoman. The beds are average, and fairly comfortable, but I didn't get the best sleep ever. Various little lights in the room are distracting. I think we ended up unplugging the hairdryer because it had the light that blinked all the time. The pool, which I don't think was even open yet, looked very clean. Breakfast was chaos. A large group was there when I showed up, and it didn't look like the hotel was ready for it. Well, maybe the variety was just that poor. All I saw was a couple pitchers of juice, one large carton of milk, and some cereal. I had to ask for lowfat milk. There, was only one woman working in the breakfast room; I think she could've used some help, and so could the breakfast itself. Next time, I think I'll go to the Dennys across the street. All staff were friendly and helpful. Overall, this hotel is a nice option.

• Stayed April 2010

158 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Charlotte
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2009

Great stay and rooms are all comfortable. breakfast was great. Shuttle service was nice and useful

Stayed September 2008
CLT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2009

Hotel facilities were great with free breakfast. Customer service was good. We requested for Crib and got it very promptly.

Provides shuttle to subway... This was of grea use.

• Liked — food
  • Disliked — A bit higher side on price
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2009

Power went out one night due to a fizzling out tropical storm. Also, it's worth noting that this is a motel, not a hotel. The door to your room leads outside. Once the power went out, we obviously also lost A/C and it became very hot in the room. Couldn't exactly prop the door open. Also, without lights it became very unsafe to walk around the hotel property. You couldn't see anything outside and they mostly used candles to light the lobby / stairs. Didn't get comped or anything for the inconveniences, didn't really expect to anyway - can't control the weather. Room was ok. Bed was comfortable but even when we did have power the A/C didn't seem to cool off the room all that much even set to its coldest. It's very close to the farthest outlying subway station with ample parking making it very easy to get right into DC. That was a huge plus. I didn't really feel any safety concerns at the hotel. Neighborhood seemed nice but then again I'm not all too familiar with the Fairfax area. I'd probably stay here again though. The price was very affordable.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

Good budget motel. Staff are very helpful. Location is fairly convenient as there is a bus stop outside (although buses tends to run only once an hour or so) and it's close to the I-66. Free internet access is provided. Breakfast is very good.

My room was clean and comfortable. It definitely is much too dark, but everything else was fine.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
maryland0424
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2009

My son and I visited George Mason University, he is interested in playing soccer their in 2010. I needed a hotel that was close to the campus and was not to expensive. I looked on Hotels.com's site and chose the Best Western after reading the reviews, which seemed to be very positive. I was very surprised by the quality of the rooms and the good service I received at the front desk. The employees were very friendly and answered all my questions about the area, especially where to eat. The breakfast was worth the $4.50 per person and my son liked the flat screen television. Even though the rooms all had outside entrances I still felt safe. It was nice not having to go through the lobby and up an elevator to get to your room. The room was very clean and the beds were hard, which I like because of my bad back. The room had the basic amenities with a refrigerator and microwave. The refrigerator made a noise all night but did not prevent me fron sleeping. Overall a very pleasant stay at a reasonable price.

• Stayed May 2009
Nashville TN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2009

Be very careful if you stay at this hotel. I had a run in with bed bugs. I have the Faifax County Health Department report to back up my claim.

Upon my return home I discovered what I at first thought was a rash on parts of my body. A couple of visits to the doctor determined that the problem was not a rash but probable bed bugs bites. I contacted the Health Department who inspected the hotel and sited them with a violation and the hotel manager confirmed to the inspector that they had treated the room for bed bugs. The hotel knew they had bed bugs in a room I stayed in and took NO action to contact me to warn me that I may have transported bed bugs back to my own home.

When I received the report from the health department I immediately contacted an exterminator in my local area -- I had been home for 2 weeks at this point and who knows what came home with me. My house was exterminated and I've taken all of the necessary precautions recommended by my exterminator -- including buying mattress/box spring encasements for all of the beds in my home. My total out of pocket expense is over $2000.00.

When I contacted the hotel about reimbursement for my costs directly related to extermination they at first agreed to pay a very small portion of the costs. When we told them we would want the full amount they balked and said they would have to file an insurance claim but came back and offered a higher amount. When we told them to file an insurace claim as we wanted our full reimbursement they then refused to do anything unless we hire a lawyer.

The 'head office' for Best Western will do NOTHING to help. Yes, they will record the issue but they do NOT care that one of their franchisees has a bed bug problem and do not care that they have a very unsatisfied customer.

Based on my experience I would definitely not stay at this hotel ever again and would think more than twice before staying at any Best Western property. They do not seem interested in protecting their brand.

• Liked — Close to office
  • Disliked — Bed bugs and hotels response to problem
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to BEST WESTERN Fairfax? Share your experiences!